Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my 2017 hatchback I was only given 1 of the smart fob's. I purchased a used fob so, my question is do I need to have a new key cut for it if all I am using it for are the remote functions?

·
Registered
171 Posts
You'd need to program the fob to the vehicle,. it was stupid easy to do on my 02 Silverado, haven't had to do it on the Cruze. I tried searching and all I could find was first gen Cruze's and stuff like that. I'm sure it's similar though, might try calling your dealer and asking them

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I bought a couple of used fobs and could not program them to either car.
Tried to pair a fob I'd already paired the 2017 to the 2016 so I could run both cars with one key, no go.
Fobs and cars were all 433mhz, so no incompatible parts.

Let me know if you're ever successful pairing a used keyless ignition fob, because I can only pair new fobs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Taxman, will do. Going to give it a whirl this weekend. Since I do not have both original fobs (just 1) apparently you have to wipe the cars memory first and then program each remote. Just hoping once I do this I don't end up with a car that won't start at all!

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
The half hour procedure is a hassle, but it worked on my 2017 with the new fob (bought it used with one fob). 2016s did the quick procedure with only one fob, then I guess GM figured out a valet could make fobs for cars that way.

I ordered one of these last week so I'll have a 2nd fob for the 2016. Will review it for the forum when I get it. Might be a cheap Chinese replacement, might be a fake Denso/Chevy part, might be the real Denso/Chevy part (but I might not be able to tell the difference between the last two).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The half hour procedure is a hassle, but it worked on my 2017 with the new fob (bought it used with one fob). 2016s did the quick procedure with only one fob, then I guess GM figured out a valet could make fobs for cars that way.

I ordered one of these last week so I'll have a 2nd fob for the 2016. Will review it for the forum when I get it. Might be a cheap Chinese replacement, might be a fake Denso/Chevy part, might be the real Denso/Chevy part (but I might not be able to tell the difference between the last two).
Well, no luck programming the used fob I picked up and now the Theft Deterrent fault message comes up and will not clear. Guess I need to break down and buy a new fob!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In another week or so I should have my $30 Chinese fob. I'll start a new thread and review it.
I will look for your review. No luck clearing the message by locking and unlocking with the key in the door. It's odd though that the car will start up and drive so far without any issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts