Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2017 Stops running when left idling?

9K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  flame 
#1 ·
I owneda 2012 Cruze Eco which I bought new in July of 2012. I travel with a dog andleave him in the car with the engine running and the AC on. Did this with twopreviously owned Cavilers also. In April this year I bought a 2017 Cruze hatch. This car has keyless start (but not remote start) and manual transmission. I have left oneof the key transmitters in the glove compartment in the hope that by doing so the car would recognize that I was in it. This car has stopped running three or fourtimes after it was left idling with AC on. It seems to shut itself off after about two hours. This was never a problem with the2012 or the Cavilers. The shut down seems to be related to the time it has beenleft to idle. Any suggestions as to what is happening andif there is a solution?

#2 ·
Uh-oh. I live alone with a dog, if I go anywhere for more than 12-14 hours the dog goes with me.

I haven't left her in a car for longer than a quick grocery run, but I definitely want the capability if I need it.
So I do hope you find a solution, or I find somebody who wants to buy a barely used 2017 sedan.

#3 ·
In my State your Window would be busted out, your car vandalized, Dog stolen and then arrested by the authorities. NEVER leave a Dog, Baby, or any live creature in a car with the Doors locked. My CRUZE said 115 degrees today and that was outside, inside it was hotter. It will be 117 on Friday and Saturday

#4 ·
In my State your Window would be busted out, your car vandalized, Dog stolen and then arrested by the authorities.
****, why would they arrest the dog though? That seems counterproductive.

#6 ·
Don't ever leave an animal in a car. It's illegal in all 50 states.

#7 ·
I wonder if this is GM's CYA (or at least common software development) after the problems in 2015 with the Volt. What would happen is people would forget to turn off their Volt when parking in their garage. Then, at some point the engine would start to recharge the battery and kill the occupants of the house with CO2.

Which is to say, this might be a "feature" of all GM cars - if not now, it will be later when they get a refresh.

#8 · (Edited)
It seems to shut itself off after about two hours.
(Disregarding the dog in the car issue)

Two hours seems more than reasonable. How much more time needed?

#9 ·
I take my dog with me in my truck frequently and if it is not hot I leave her in truck, I did that today, it was 75 out today, windows are down, she is fine, was about 5 min while in McDonald's. I have done this for years on occasion. I am a responsible owner, if someone messes with my dog won't be a good idea. I do it a couple times a month. I hate anyone especially govt telling me how to live. If it is hot I don't take her. In the winter it sure isn't an issue here.

Reactions: Rivergoer
#17 ·
This is my first push-button start car, and it's so quiet at idle sometimes I realize I haven't pressed the button hard enough to turn it off and it's still running when I get out with the key.
I've come close to that. I open the door and then wonder "why didn't the radio turn off?" Oops.

My boss had a BMW when that first came out. One day she forgot to turn it off when she got home. It idled until the gas ran out.

#11 ·
It is essential that the vehicle run until turned off by human intervention, as did the 2012 Cruze and the Claviers. Either that or I need a clear understanding of phenomenon, ie., shutdown mechanism. The safety and well being of my dog is dependent on the reliable and continued operation until manual shut down is initiated. Thanks

#16 ·
On page 55 of the 2017 Owner's manual it says: "Never leave a child, a helpless adult, or a pet alone in a vehicle, especially with the windows closed in warm or hot weather. They can be overcome by the extreme heat and suffer permanent injuries or even death from heat stroke."
I'd think there would also be concern that the pet might accidentally roll down the windows or knock the car out of park. Besides, there's really no guarantee that the engine won't stall out on it's own for any variety of reasons.

#18 ·
I really appreciate your and everyone else's concern about the habit of taking my dog with me when I travel whether a short trip to the grocery store or a trip from the east coast, where I live, to Yellow Stone. I own six rescue dogs and over the years have given a home to an additional eight, each of whom were a blessing to me and all who have passed on (none from heat stroke because I left them in the car). Over the years all the Chevy's have been manual transmissions so the emergency brake would have to be released. Rolling down a window would not be a problem, it would let in some warm outside air which would not be a disaster. In moderate weather he stays in the car with the windows down (please don't lecture me about the risks involved in that) Any way, again I appreciate peoples concern about the safety of the dog and the risks to me for legal consequences and property loss but what I really need is an answer to the original question concerning the mechanism that shuts down the car after extended idle time, ie., is there a fixed time after which shut down occurs? If so what is it and can the software be programed differently. Thanks again to all who have offered suggestions.

#20 ·
I frequently leave my dog in the vehicle to go inside and use the restroom when travelling. I have remote start and it runs for 10 minutes, more than adequate time for me personally. But I am always worried that some do-gooder will bust my windows. One time I parked in front of a UPS store, left my kid in the car with the vehicle running and was in and out of the store in a minute, set box on counter walked back out. Some lady was standing there trying to lecture me that I cant leave my kid in the vehicle even with it running. Here in Texas it is not illegal if you are gone less than 5 minutes. For dogs its not illegal until it harms the dog. But they did pass a law allowing people to bust your window and get the dog out and not be liable for damages, so use caution, other states have similar laws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.