Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Financed a 2017 Cruze LS in Black for Uber. With 2,5xx miles on it now, I've noticed that it's unstable at 60mph+ in that it sways laterally between the lines. This is accentuated by wind-shear. Any fix? Bilstein shocks were recommended generally. Also, the Sport Suspension package from GM is being looked at.

Noticed a few threads appertaining to the same issue for the GEN I Cruze. This is very disconcerting, albeit a compact car. ANY advice is appreciated. Cheers.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I had a 14 Cruze LT, never had this issue. Yesterday, I drove 180 miles on the interstate between 60 and 70 the whole way. I had a little bit of the car "rolling" or not feeling stable, and this was on my 16 LT, 2nd Gen. Was a little shocked, but also, the winds were between 15 and 30 mph supposedly, also.
I'm not sure on this one.

I've driven the same trip for the last 4 months, as I have been visiting my dad a lot lately, and this is the first time I've had this issue, so I'm chalking it up to the wind, hopefully.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check the tire pressures and get it aligned. Under 5000 miles, the dealer should align it under warranty.

Speaking of warranty; if the dealer finds that you are using it commercially does that affect the warranty?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,998 Posts
Bad alignment, tire pressures, or just generally crap tires with horribly soft sidewalls can cause this.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Tire pressures, a bad tire, alignment, broken or loose tie rod can all cause this. Order to check:

1. Tire pressures - check cold and all shaded. Set to the door placard pressure while this is resolved.
  2. Alignment - ensure your car is in a true four wheel alignment. Check on a couple of different machines if possible.
  3. Swap left/right on the front and see if it improves. If not try the rear and then front to rear without swapping left/right. If you have improvement at any point then you have a bad tire with internal sidewall damage or belts either separating or slipping out of place. Only swap one pair at a time.
  4. Put the car up on a lift that lifts the car body and not the wheels. Check for free play and loose connecting rods and components.

Since you're well under the 12,000 mile point your dealership should be able to do all this (assuming they have two alignment machines). Have your service advisor out for a drive so he can see feel the problem and therefore take the car out and test it when they think they have it fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Continental Pro Contact tires from the factory; Nitrogen filled. They're at 37psi cold right now. Had them at 36.

Alignment tracks straight with hands off of the wheel.

Overdue slightly for the 30 day, 172 point inspection at the Dealership. Will mention to them.

Thank you guys for the advice.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Tracking straight ahead is a good indicator, but not a guarantee that you don't have an alignment problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also of note, car has steelies. At 60mph+, even pulling hands off of the wheel, with steady throttle, to eliminate driver variables, car still sways laterally.

Just doesn't feel firmly planted. Any tires that you guys like over the Continentals?

·
16,998 Posts
Also of note, car has steelies. At 60mph+, even pulling hands off of the wheel, with steady throttle, to eliminate driver variables, car still sways laterally.

Just doesn't feel firmly planted. Any tires that you guys like over the Continentals?
I would do some research to see if others have that complaint with those. I know they are OEM on quite a few cars - not well liked by many, but I don't know if that was one of the complaints - Ford Fusion, Honda Civic, Honda Accord...

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Videos mounted from the Dash would be really helpful for your Dealer. I thought this was a known issue with the Gen 1 CRUZE Power Steering going to sleep?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
This is definitely not normal. I've driven the new body Cruzes on the highway and they are very solid and stable. One thing not mentioned is to check for a faulty tire maybe.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,976 Posts
Check the tire pressures and get it aligned. Under 5000 miles, the dealer should align it under warranty.

Speaking of warranty; if the dealer finds that you are using it commercially does that affect the warranty?
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

You should introduce yourself here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That is strange i find my 2016.5 to be very stable 140+ KM is very planted. It's a LT wouldn't think that would be much different then LS suspension wise.

·
16,998 Posts
That is strange i find my 2016.5 to be very stable 140+ KM is very planted. It's a LT wouldn't think that would be much different then LS suspension wise.
They are one and the same aside from smaller wheels/different tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Guys, have a strong inclination as to what's causing this.

Drove over a drawbridge today; one with the metal, square grates where pavement would normally be. IT'S THE TIRES! Car IMMEDIATELY started to track in every direction when hitting the grates. The TIRES suck! Suspect that the tread catches imperfections in the pavement at speed and sways laterally every-which-way when on the highway. This is my best diagnosis given the information available.

Have read about the computer problems (Power Steering) with the Gen Is that a software update remediates. Seems to be tires in this case. Any recommendations? Cheers.

·
16,998 Posts
Have read about the computer problems (Power Steering) with the Gen Is that a software update remediates.
That's only Gen 1 (2011-16 Limited)

Seems to be tires in this case. Any recommendations? Cheers.
I am a fan of the Continental PUREContact (put those on my 2012 and would definitely buy another pair), or Pirelli P7. You may want to bump up the speed rating if they are something like an S or T rated tire on the car currently - this gives you a little bit of a stiffer sidewall for less wandering and slightly better handling. Put on something like a H rated.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Replace the tires, though you said you have the Continentals, which are usually good tires. I drove my car 200 miles today (16 LT 2nd Gen), and noticed my car seemed to wander again, tonight it seemed worse. It happens over 55 mph. May be bringing mine to the dealer, I have the Hankook Tires, which I'm not a big fan of.

This time the wind wasn't as bad as earlier in the week.

Well Guys, have a strong inclination as to what's causing this.

Drove over a drawbridge today; one with the metal, square grates where pavement would normally be. IT'S THE TIRES! Car IMMEDIATELY started to track in every direction when hitting the grates. The TIRES suck! Suspect that the tread catches imperfections in the pavement at speed and sways laterally every-which-way when on the highway. This is my best diagnosis given the information available.

Have read about the computer problems (Power Steering) with the Gen Is that a software update remediates. Seems to be tires in this case. Any recommendations? Cheers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hoping that tires are the root of the problem. LOVE the car. Been through close to 20 Craigslist specials since I was 19 and am serenely satisfied with the Cruze. Nigh-time here in Tampa Bay, FL at the moment, however will get pictures. The most interesting thing about them will probably be wear patterns of the interior that Uber passengers cause.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Hoping that tires are the root of the problem. LOVE the car. Been through close to 20 Craigslist specials since I was 19 and am serenely satisfied with the Cruze. Nigh-time here in Tampa Bay, FL at the moment, however will get pictures. The most interesting thing about them will probably be wear patterns of the interior that Uber passengers cause.
If you can replicate for the dealership and get them to agree there is a problem, at your mileage they should be able to make it right. I am pretty sure that everything is covered for 1 year 12K miles, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Definitely take to your dealer, current set up doesn't even sound safe. They should be happy to make this right. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 25 Posts