Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2018 Chevy Cruze LS with the (of course) auto-stop feature which I cannot stand! I tried putting the car in the L gear and arrowing up to 5 which as far as it goes. My question is will it stop the auto stop even when I put the gear shift back in D to drive? I noticed that when I put it back in D and then to check it to see if it stays in 5 in the L speed gear, it does not? It goes back to 1? Although, I have not tried to drive it yet? The annoying thing about it; is that it is very distracting and I think that as the car ages; it could or, may cause the engine to stall out and cause an accident? I also think it just wears on the starter because of all that useless stop and go action. Honestly, I have not noticed a fuel savings with this feature. I think some Engineer designer had a "hair brain idea"??

· Premium Member
824 Posts
And I believe this has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum ... but one quick fix is to simply take your foot off the brake after you come to a complete stop. I just went to California over my kid's spring break week, and we had a BMW X3 with the feature, and it was WAY more annoying than on the GM products I've driven with that feature. But ... as I stated, I was able to let my foot off the brake and the engine kicked back on and didn't shut off again until I came to another full stop, or shut the vehicle off.

· Registered
137 Posts
I have a new 2018 Chevy Cruze LS with the (of course) auto-stop feature which I cannot stand! I tried putting the car in the L gear and arrowing up to 5 which as far as it goes. My question is will it stop the auto stop even when I put the gear shift back in D to drive? I noticed that when I put it back in D and then to check it to see if it stays in 5 in the L speed gear, it does not? It goes back to 1? Although, I have not tried to drive it yet? The annoying thing about it; is that it is very distracting and I think that as the car ages; it could or, may cause the engine to stall out and cause an accident? I also think it just wears on the starter because of all that useless stop and go action. Honestly, I have not noticed a fuel savings with this feature. I think some Engineer designer had a "hair brain idea"??
Once you put it back into “D” the auto stop/start is re-engaged. Moving back into “L” you must again up it to L6 or it will stay in L1.

· Registered
14 Posts
I've had my 2018 Cruze Hatchback for almost 3 months now, and love that auto stop feature. Getting 36 mpg with it, and on cold mornings can't wait for it to warm up so the auto stop will be active again. The starter they use is designed for it.

· Registered
137 Posts
Auto Stop can't be turned off obviously. I asked my mechanic who was changing the transmission oil he said it can't be turned off.
We need a computer whiz kid and the Cruze’s ECM Program Code. Change a couple of lines of code in the program, where it tells the computer to not engage the Auto Stop/Start if it’s colder then 41F. Change the 41F to 141F and the problem is solved. But for now it’s L6.

· Premium Member
824 Posts
It's going to be a fact of life in all automatic transmission cars soon enough ... thanks to CAFE standards imposed by the gubment! :mad:

Reactions: llbanks522

· Premium Member
824 Posts
The funny thing about this silly feature is that over the life of the car, this will save the owner approximately $8.63 worth of gas. Total nonsense.
And where are you obtaining this factual data? I'm just curious, because I'm sure that the amount saved is proportional to the amount of time the owner of said vehicle is actually sitting in stop/go traffic and how often the system engages to save fuel in those situations.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually, putting my 2018 Cruze in L gear then plus up to gear 6 does drive very well in city traffic; disengaged the annoying "auto-stop" feature. Its easy and keeps the engine from all that wear of stopping/starting. You will be driving while in the L6 gear and, of course reverts after you park or turns off engine.

· Registered
146 Posts
And where are you obtaining this factual data? I'm just curious, because I'm sure that the amount saved is proportional to the amount of time the owner of said vehicle is actually sitting in stop/go traffic and how often the system engages to save fuel in those situations.
I was sarcastic of course but nonetheless, the amount saved over the life of the vehicle or ownership is laughable at best...all this annoyance for pennies in the end. $8.63 was just a random number of course but most people should know that this feature is one of the biggest gimmick of the industry but most people will fall for it, then they start hating this feature 1 week after taking possession of their car.

I said this a few times already and I'll say it again. This silly feature was the only reason why I bought a manual. If it wasn't for that, I would be driving the automatic.

· Premium Member
824 Posts
we have government bureaucrats to thank for start/stop technology to meet the unrealistic CAFE standards set forth to be met by certain dates. There should be separate ratings for trucks/SUVs and for cars if you ask me. Ford will be hit the hardest, because the best selling F-150 is nowhere near 32 mpg combined, and they'll have to sell a LOT of smaller/more fuel efficient cars to make up for that to meet the corporate standard. I personally just enjoy driving a manual transmission vehicle over an automatic ... unless I'm in San Francisco, or in a truck pulling a trailer. I wish my Camaro had a manual, because the exhaust in the manual sounds soooo much better than the automatic.

Reactions: nightfallgrey2018

· Registered
17 Posts
A few lower-ranking people in the auto manufacturing industry have been quoted as saying auto-stop was a CAFE gimmick that only works on paper. I tried it when I first got my 2016. According to the onboard system I got no fuel savings using it over using the L6 method to bypass it. It's gone now, and good riddance! Supposedly around 80% of engine wear comes from startups. If so, the last thing I need is an extra 20-30 starts a day. I understand that mostly refers to cold starts, but I don't like suddenly going from 0 psi oil pressure to a revved engine every time I leave a stop light.

· Registered
44 Posts
A few lower-ranking people in the auto manufacturing industry have been quoted as saying auto-stop was a CAFE gimmick that only works on paper. I tried it when I first got my 2016. According to the onboard system I got no fuel savings using it over using the L6 method to bypass it. It's gone now, and good riddance! Supposedly around 80% of engine wear comes from startups. If so, the last thing I need is an extra 20-30 starts a day. I understand that mostly refers to cold starts, but I don't like suddenly going from 0 psi oil pressure to a revved engine every time I leave a stop light.
Not to mention that a hard working engine derives benefit from pumping some air when idling.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.