Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently swapped my Cruze seats for Leather and now have the originals available for sale. These are the seats from a 2018 Cruze Hatchback in black cloth. These seats are in phenomenal condition with a few caveats. Car/seats only about 9 months old and 20k miles when pulled and car was very well cared for.

Front seats both heated. Drivers seat power

Notes: Front seats currently do not have the seat belt pre-tensioners installed because I had to swap them to my new set. I do have a pair of pre-tensioners from the donor seats. One is deployed and one is good (though the torx screw is somewhat stripped; I ended up removing it with vice grips) You would need to either replace these or have them rebuilt and put back in (though installing these is really easy) I believe you can have them rebuilt for around $50 each or swap in your existing ones like I did

One the larger rear seat back I had to swap my good belt mechanism over because the donor seat belt was cut. There is one nut holding this unit in but seat is partially opened up right now for access. I can throw in the donor mechanism that could be rebuilt/replaced or you could install a different one. (I saw no reason to fully re-assemble that part since it would need to be opened to put back anyway)

Finally; these aren't the seats themselves but I have the matching trim that goes between the rear seat back and the door which holds the airbags. Because the 2017 and 2018 seem to use different airbags I had to swap my originals into the replacement units. The trim pieces are in great shape but will need airbags put in (a pretty easy job, i did both in about 30 minutes) I do have both original 2017 airbags (undeployed and presumably good) or just BYO

I have a few pictures of them before they were removed from car and can provide some more pics upon request. This would be a great opportunity to change your interior colors, replace seats in bad shape, etc. (I could even give you some pointers on the project :))

Now I'm quite reluctant to get these shipped and will hope to work out something semi-local. I'm in the Detroit area. I'd even be willing to consider meeting halfway somewhere up to about 100 miles away; I do have access to a truck and could discuss a local delivery for a small gas surcharge or just pick up from my home. Asking $333 for everything. Please feel free to PM me with any questions!

ps sorry I'm having trouble uploading photos right now

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may have forgotten to mention but I'm somewhat negotiable on price and would like to clear these out of storage at some point. Again if you have any interest let me know and we may be able to work out logistics to deliver.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Would love to swap my cloth for leather also. Was the swap pretty easy, overall? Just mount and plug and play for electrical?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It ended up being a bigger job than I thought. If I ever get around to it I'll put together a little tutorial I took a few pictures of the job.

Assuming the airbags and pre-tensioners in the new seats are good and the options are the same (power/heated/etc) the front seats are basically plug and play. I wound up learning one of the pre-tensioners on the new seats were blown and ended up swapping in my originals (didn't know about the pretensioners and had an airbag light on after swapping) of course if I had to do again I would know that.
Also there may be minute differences between model years. Mine is a 2018 and the seats I bought were from a 2017.

The back seat was a little more work. The new seat I bought had the center belt cut which I had to swap in from the original. I also learned that between 2017 and 2018 they must have changed the rear side airbags in the trim cover so I also had to swap those from the original parts (they looked very close but the connectors were different) I played it safe and used the original parts. It's a little challenging to wrestle the front seats in without scratching anything up. I covered up what I could with a drop cloth and cardboard/styrofoam for protection but still managed a small ding in the process :( Probably would be easier if you have a helper in the car to help guide it in as I was working solo)

Of course finding the leather seats sets may be the biggest challenge. The hatchback was only made 2017-2019 and were a fairly small percentage of sales (even smaller yet with leather seats) so you'd pretty much have to locate a wrecked one. Plus for 2019 they switched to fake leather which not everyone would like so you are down to two model years. I found a set on ebay but had to spend a few hundred bucks to get them freight shipped to me and it wound up being a lot of work but it did pay off for me.

These seats would be a great swap for a car with seats in rough condition as they are nearly flawless. If I had to do this swap again though I might look a little harder at finding just the covers than the seats themselves (though you probably still have to remove them to swap the covers)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
REDUCED:

I still have the seats and could really use the space in my garage. Reducing my ask to $200 for all and am open to offers. I'm also still willing to consider delivery within a certain distance. Local pick up preferred but I would also consider meeting at a halfway point if you are further away. Please let me know if you have any questions or interest.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,646 Posts
I recently swapped my Cruze seats for Leather and now have the originals available for sale. These are the seats from a 2018 Cruze Hatchback in black cloth. These seats are in phenomenal condition with a few caveats. Car/seats only about 9 months old and 20k miles when pulled and car was very well cared for.

ps sorry I'm having trouble uploading photos right now
2018 Seat.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,646 Posts
Assuming the airbags and pre-tensioners in the new seats are good and the options are the same (power/heated/etc) the front seats are basically plug and play.
I would assume that the Gen I and Gen II build process was very similar. If that is true, all would probably have the power portion of the harness, but not necessarily the heated seat wiring. I also swapped out my black cloth seats for leather and went through the same pretensioner rodeo.

HMM, mine are also taking up space in the garage ...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I mentioned previously but I do have a set of front belt pretensioner cores I will include that could be sent out for rebuilding if you don't have a good set already. I also have the upholstered trim pieces that goes between the rear seat back and "C" pillar. In the process of swapping the seats I ended up with two undeployed airbags that fit under said trim piece but I have no clue what to do with them; I guess buying/selling airbags is a legal grey area including shipping them but they area free if anyone wants them; otherwise I guess they just go in the trash ?

Its a shame for these to sit around in such great condition. Would be great for someone who had a nasty interior to refresh or wanted a color change. Anyway if anyone has any questions don't hesitate to ask.

·
Super Moderator
11,646 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I guess buying/selling airbags is a legal grey area including shipping them but they area free if anyone wants them; otherwise I guess they just go in the trash ?
I don't see any issue selling them. They contain propellant, but car dealers don't need to have federal firearms licenses to sell cars with air bags, so you shouldn't need any sort of licensing either.

But definitely NO SHIPPING air bags ! That's a no-no for most folks. From my experience with hobby rocket motors, you'd need to have hazmat certification and also pay a premium shipping rate as well.

More importantly, if one should ship something like that without going thru all the necessary steps, he could find himself dealing with a variety of legal un-pleasantries.

Doug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.