Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Not sure if this is the place to post this but I'm in need of advice. After going over some railroad tracks, my car started throwing problem code P0301 and Service Stabilitrak. I've had the spark plugs and coil packs checked but its still shuddering whenever I'm not accelerating. Has anyone else had this problem and successfully fixed it?

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Cruze
168 Posts
Hi all! Not sure if this is the place to post this but I'm in need of advice. After going over some railroad tracks, my car started throwing problem code P0301 and Service Stabilitrak. I've had the spark plugs and coil packs checked but its still shuddering whenever I'm not accelerating. Has anyone else had this problem and successfully fixed it?
That’s code is cause by a misfire in one of the cylinder, you might want to get a cylinder pressure test & make sure you don’t have a cracked piston.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
10,958 Posts
A code P0301 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plug or wire
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Running out of fuel
Poor compression
Defective computer
Read more at: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0301 Cylinder 1 One Misfire Detected

I am not that versed on the Gen IIs, but I would think the basic concept for changing and checking the plugs is the same, so here is my spark plug spiel for a Gen I:

Tips to ensure no misfires occur:

Remove the coil pack. If the boots are stuck on, use a small screwdriver or pick with some dielectric grease on it to go around the outside of the boot and then possibly the inside of the boot to help aid in removal.

Remember to (p)re-gap your plugs to .028, (0.24 if tuned)

Set gap with the black portion of this tool.

To increase the gap size bend the ground strap up to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN.

Measure the gap with feeler gauges.

Throw this away.

Torque to 18 ft-lbs with no anti-seize on the threads of a stock type plug.

Ensure the boots have no rips/tears or holes in them, lightly coat them with dielectric/silicone grease and make sure the resister springs are clean and not caught up in the boots when you install them.

If the plugs look bad, consider these:

-BKR8EIX-2668 (iridium plugs), ~$25, expect ~10-15k regaps on these, ~40-50k overall life.
-BKR7E-4644 (nickel/copper plugs), ~$8, expect 15-25K out of these plugs, with a regap or two required at 5-8k intervals on stock tune.

Read Hesitation Gone! for more info on the plugs.

A good replacement coil is the MSD Blaster OEM Replacement Coilpack 8236

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A code P0301 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plug or wire
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Running out of fuel
Poor compression
Defective computer
Read more at: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0301 Cylinder 1 One Misfire Detected

I am not that versed on the Gen IIs, but I would think the basic concept for changing and checking the plugs is the same, so here is my spark plug spiel for a Gen I:

Tips to ensure no misfires occur:

Remove the coil pack. If the boots are stuck on, use a small screwdriver or pick with some dielectric grease on it to go around the outside of the boot and then possibly the inside of the boot to help aid in removal.

Remember to (p)re-gap your plugs to .028, (0.24 if tuned)

Set gap with the black portion of this tool.

To increase the gap size bend the ground strap up to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN.

Measure the gap with feeler gauges.

Throw this away.

Torque to 18 ft-lbs with no anti-seize on the threads of a stock type plug.

Ensure the boots have no rips/tears or holes in them, lightly coat them with dielectric/silicone grease and make sure the resister springs are clean and not caught up in the boots when you install them.

If the plugs look bad, consider these:

-BKR8EIX-2668 (iridium plugs), ~$25, expect ~10-15k regaps on these, ~40-50k overall life.
-BKR7E-4644 (nickel/copper plugs), ~$8, expect 15-25K out of these plugs, with a regap or two required at 5-8k intervals on stock tune.

Read Hesitation Gone! for more info on the plugs.

A good replacement coil is the MSD Blaster OEM Replacement Coilpack 8236
Thank you so much for all the useful information! The mechanic said he moved the coil pack from cylinder 1 to 4 just to make sure it wasn't the coil pack. It still gave the problem code for cylinder 1. He's replacing the spark plugs tomorrow and if that isn't it, I'll have to go to the dealer and pay the $140 diagnostic fee for them to tell me what else it could be and pray that its covered under my warranty. I appreciate your comment so much and am definitely saving it.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
10,958 Posts
Thank you so much for all the useful information! The mechanic said he moved the coil pack from cylinder 1 to 4 just to make sure it wasn't the coil pack. It still gave the problem code for cylinder 1. He's replacing the spark plugs tomorrow and if that isn't it, I'll have to go to the dealer and pay the $140 diagnostic fee for them to tell me what else it could be and pray that its covered under my warranty. I appreciate your comment so much and am definitely saving it.
You are welcome, but we shall see how useful the info will be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts