Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

First I want to say: it's amazing to see forums like this thriving in the social media age. What a wellspring of information and knowledge!

But I want to put a question to you estimable Cruze owners: I have a 2018 LT Automatic that is having a peculiar issue. For about 15-20 miles it often operates normally, but after that it begins to shift sluggishly, hitting between 2.5 and 3K RPM before picking up speed. At a full stop I can literally floor it before it moves at a decent pace. Here's the interesting part: I hooked my computer up and it's only kicking back a nuisance code for a thermostat issue. No transmission code, not even for fluid. Engine seems to be running at a decent temperature. I read that Malibus of the same generation have a software problem that causes symptoms like this -- could it be that, or something else?

Thanks in advance, and before you ask, no I am not driving it much at all.

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,049 Posts
I'll bet you a pizza if you replace the thermostat the car will start shifting just fine.

Get an OEM thermostat. Don't even think about using an aftermarket one. Seriously.
Get a gallon of Dexcool 50/50 coolant.
Remove the negative battery cable.
Replace the thermostat. And make sure the mounting surface is clean of everything. And lube the seal with a small amount of motor oil, don't assemble it dry!
Keep the overflow tank half full, as the air works out it will lower a bit.
Clear all the codes, if you happen to get a permanent code it will clear after a few drives.
Add me to your Christmas card list. :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,961 Posts
Is it hot outside and you're running 87 octane in the tank?

Small turbo engines really need the higher knock resistance of 91/93 to avoid tripping over the knock sensor in hot temps to make that low-end torque you want. Yes, they WILL run on 87, but they'll neuter all low end grunt and rev higher to get to the powerband you're used to.

My 2016 is a dog on regular 87.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks fellas. Both suggestions well taken. Having the ambient air thermostat replaced today (though I don't know how much it will help) and will switch things up gas wise. Excellent help.
The forum wizards thought you were telling us you had a coolant thermostat problem, and they recommended replacing the coolant thermostat. Had no idea you were talking about the ambient air thermostat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts