Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ikXuh1Acjt1EvDNe2

I've included a link to a picture from my rear view camera on the console screen in my new 2018 Cruze.

My old 2014 had a far superior picture. Now it appears to be blurry and not as a defined with the 2018.

Is it defective (not focusing) or is the resolution much less than it used to be for this component? Is this the new normal?

If anyone can comment on their rear view camera - much appreciated.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think my 2014 Mylink with the backup camera was clearer, plus I could adjust the contrast. Plus, my 16 (and it looks like yours), is the base 7". I noticed also that I don't get text messages thru my 16 7", where my 14 Mylink did. I think it's because it's the base system, where the 14 Mylink was the upgraded system. I'm not sure how the option 8" compares.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
At least you got the Grid, not an option in my 14. Although the screen sure looks blurry, I see a strange distorted image at the bottom which could be just a fingerprint

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Stupid question: have you tried cleaning the lens? I know on my 2013, the camera gets coated with spray when it rains.

At least you got the Grid, not an option in my 14.
Drop in a 2015 or 2016 Limited radio. I have lines on my 2013. I love, love, love it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes I have cleaned the lense (the first thing I did) and the " I see a strange distorted image at the bottom" is actually my hand reflecting as I brought the phone closer to the screen.
In discussion with dealer

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Stupid question:

Drop in a 2015 or 2016 Limited radio. I have lines on my 2013. I love, love, love it.
Hey stupider question, does your grid adjust. I rented a 2014 Sonic and the Grid came standard but the lines didn't move, like a decal?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Hmm, mine's not too bad (8" display), except it's currently covered in salt and kinda fuzzy as such. I'll snag a pic next time I drive it during the daytime...which may be a few days.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
An update. The rear view camera was replaced today by Yorktown Electronics at the dealers, and the improvement in picture quality is dramatic.

Before it was blurry, flickered a little and the contrast was poor - now its like looking out my rear window. It's remarkable the improvement. So glad I questioned it.

Great dealer response to a client's complaint. Thanks Kerry :)

(the dealership does frequent this forum btw) .

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I know it's nice to have a camera in the back of the car ... but it somewhat cracks me up when people complain about the "picture quality" as if they're going to frame it or something. I don't have a backup camera in my G8 and I have yet to back into anything, nor do I have one in my Envoy ... and you guessed it, haven't backed into anything yet. Sure, it would make it easier to back my Envoy to my trailer, but I've managed so far. Not sure how much quality you need to see in a backup camera, cuz I'm thinking, if it's close enough for you to make out what it is with a blurry image, you're probably close enough and should stop before you back into/over something. I preferred the "radar" sensors on the rear of my 2012 Eco, because I learned to back up using my mirrors at a young age on the farm, and the sensors just beeped at me when I got close to stuff. I guess it never occurred to me that it would be important to actually SEE what I was about to back into/over in my Cruze, just learned to stop when the beeps got fast enough. But hey, I'm glad your "problem" was resolved to your satisfaction.

And then we complain about why people can't drive anymore :dry:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I know it's nice to have a camera in the back of the car ... but it somewhat cracks me up when people complain about the "picture quality" as if they're going to frame it or something. I don't have a backup camera in my G8 and I have yet to back into anything, nor do I have one in my Envoy ... and you guessed it, haven't backed into anything yet. Sure, it would make it easier to back my Envoy to my trailer, but I've managed so far. Not sure how much quality you need to see in a backup camera, cuz I'm thinking, if it's close enough for you to make out what it is with a blurry image, you're probably close enough and should stop before you back into/over something. I preferred the "radar" sensors on the rear of my 2012 Eco, because I learned to back up using my mirrors at a young age on the farm, and the sensors just beeped at me when I got close to stuff. I guess it never occurred to me that it would be important to actually SEE what I was about to back into/over in my Cruze, just learned to stop when the beeps got fast enough. But hey, I'm glad your "problem" was resolved to your satisfaction.

That's not the point. It's 2018 and you get full HD cameras for like 5 bucks and they built something in that resembles 00's cell phone cameras.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I take exception to your supercilious response sir. I can drive quite well thank you very much. I don't rely entirely on the rear view camera however it does help, especially when backing up onto a road with lots of small children. The point from my post was that I had a camera on my old 2014 Cruze and expected the resolution and picture quality to be the same or superior having shelled out a bunch more money. I wondered if others had a similar experience and when the responses indicated that there was a potential issue I went back to the dealer. Turns out I was right because the camera was faulty. Thanks for sharing your opinion though. ::dry:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.