Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like occasionally looking at gmpowertrain.com for engine and transmission applications for upcoming units. Based on the snip below taken from the 2018 application guide it shows the LE2 engine potentially coupled to a MRG transmission, which appears to be a CVT..

Can anyone with access to GM direct information confirm this?

Very interesting if that's the case.

Text Font Line

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Ew. I hope that's just overseas models.

I'm currently driving a 2017 Nissan Altima as a rental. I hate the transmission, but the MPG is pretty impressive. It's averaging the same 30 MPG I'd get in my Cruze with a big, torquey (and thrashy) 2.5 liter engine.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The information is specifically part of the US application guide. However, gmfleet.com does not have it in the ordering guide. Often times gmfleet.com has more details than traditional Chevy.com. If you want to shop and order from spreadsheets of RPO codes.

We have a 2010 Altima with the CVT in the family. The thing has been good, but the engine being the old QR25KE is very very old technology. I guess that might be a good thing in a way it's well proven. The only issue with CVT's is that I'm not sure that they are well supported in the aftermarket if they do fail. The 2010's are covered for a 12 year factory extended warranty from Nissan, so I'll keep this car until the wheels fall off.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Friend of mine has a 2013 Sentra. When I drove it, it felt like the engine was attached to one end of a huge rubber band and the wheels to the other end. Press the pedal farther, the engine speeds up, the rubber band builds tension, then the car speeds up. A bit disconcerting at first.

·
Registered
692 Posts
with the new 9 speed in the diesel, I'm guessing that will be the next transmission across the line. There are no CVT's I believe made by Chevy, so I'm guessing that won't be the case.

·
17,488 Posts
with the new 9 speed in the diesel, I'm guessing that will be the next transmission across the line. There are no CVT's I believe made by Chevy, so I'm guessing that won't be the case.
Spark has one.

The 9 speed is pretty good. I think it would bring more needed efficiency to the somewhat widely spaced highway gears of the 6AT.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
17,488 Posts
Friend of mine has a 2013 Sentra. When I drove it, it felt like the engine was attached to one end of a huge rubber band and the wheels to the other end. Press the pedal farther, the engine speeds up, the rubber band builds tension, then the car speeds up. A bit disconcerting at first.
Accurate. Corolla is absolutely horrid too. It's better in the Altima, and sort of mimics a stepped 7 speed auto, but it's still weird. And Hondas aren't phenomenal either.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Manufacturing locations are shown as Mexico and Japan. So I'm guessing if GM does use one it's going to be a Jatco unit from the same company that makes the Nissan units. I think the reliability comes with the ability to program. Dodge attempted to use a Jatco unit very similar to what Nissan uses and had horrible replacement costs of warranty and drive ability.

The combination of a small turbo with a CVT could be a lot of fun. The only turbo that I' aware of with a CVT is the Juke by Nissan..

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom Ried, GM Powertrain, isn't he the guy Extreme was working with several years ago with a tour and the spark plug issues?

Very interesting article a few years old, but it looks like this transmission might be coming, and if it's really a GM developed in house transmission yikes.. I'd suggest to wait for the first year to see reliability..

GM Tooling Up CVT for Fuel-Economy Play | Industry content from WardsAuto

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Built in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico. Given one of the engines for the Silverado is also built in this city I have to believe this is a GM designed unit. It will either be really over designed for the first year where it will be bullet proof like the GEN 1 1.4L Iron block vs. the GEN 2 aluminum block or it will be a bust..

I'd still give it a good year to run before considering buying it. I coworker had the Saturn Ion and he went through three CVT's with that car in under 100,000 miles.

If that was GM's last in house CVT, I hope they take the time to get the engineering right on this newer unit, and it's not pushed to market by the marketing folks.

·
17,488 Posts
Manufacturing locations are shown as Mexico and Japan. So I'm guessing if GM does use one it's going to be a Jatco unit from the same company that makes the Nissan units. I think the reliability comes with the ability to program. Dodge attempted to use a Jatco unit very similar to what Nissan uses and had horrible replacement costs of warranty and drive ability.

The combination of a small turbo with a CVT could be a lot of fun. The only turbo that I' aware of with a CVT is the Juke by Nissan..
Hondas 1.5T powertrains are all paired with one. It has a tendency just to make a lot of noise, but does have decent torque in the 2-3k range. Then again, so does the Cruze with the 6AT

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
The Nissan Versas I have rented with CVTs have been awful. Could not get up to speed safely when I was diving in Vegas. I learned my lesson, not to rent one. Hyundai and even the focus are way better.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Registered
132 Posts
In addition to the older Ward's article, the following link from a German metalworking supplier seems to indicate they've supplied gear hones (gear surface finishing machinery) to GM. That would appear to indicate that GM intends to produce the transaxle itself, but doesn't indicate if it's a fully in-house design, co-developed, or licensed from another manufacturer. If they started procuring machinery to build internal components in early 2016, it wouldn't seem unreasonable that they've had a finished design and have been doing validation testing so a MY2019 introduction isn't unreasonable.

"-General Motors has selected GMTA to partner on the CVT 250 project for gear hones."

http://www.gmtamerica.com/docs/GMTANEWSOFNOTE2016-1.pdf

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160802/OEM03/160809940/gm-wants-more-cvts-exec-says

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.