Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I don't know if a grille cover will resolve the issue, as I don't believe it takes post cooled air temp into account, only ambient, intake and humidity.
I'm not convinced the ECU is drawing the ambient temperature from that sensor behind the grill that displays the temperature on the screen in the car. I could be wrong, but I also don't think that sensor is accurate. I suspect the ECU is using intake air temperature for the determination of conditions of when to lock out 6th gear, and maybe that has a sensor somewhere in the air intake path? In the MAF, or right after the air filter?

The question is whether it's also using a temperature of the air after the intercooler, because if you can drive that temperature up high enough (by blocking off the intercooler or maybe blocking off the front grill) you can possibly get the car to use 6th gear in these relevant climate conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I'm not saying it does use the outside air temp sensor in the grille. It's get ambient temp from the MAF at key on, and uses the outside temp sensor in some rationality routines as well. There are 2 intake air temp sensors, one is the MAF, the other is on the intake manifold, so it has the capability to measure the effectiveness of the intercooler, I'm just not sure if it actually does that or not. It may just be using ambient, preturbo temps and humidity and making a worst case scenario judgement call.

Blocking off the grill/intercooler would verify that theory.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Somewhat related here, but if its that cold outside, a block heater/oil pan heater can help tremendously with morning start ups and getting to operating temperature that much faster. Yes you are not directly heating the trans, but all that heat does rise and make its way throughout the engine compartment. I leave for work at 5:30 AM and I have it come on at 1AM in the morning on a timer. For the few cents it costs it sure helps and getting heat faster in the cabin is a plus.

Jason

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
if its that cold outside, a block heater/oil pan heater can help tremendously with morning start ups and getting to operating temperature that much faster
The ambient conditions that this is in effect are conditions where you really don't need any heaters. We are talking temperatures right around the freeze point and then in the 20s F. In those situations, you can use a decent synthetic oil (as all these cars require, gasoline or diesel) and there is no issue with starting.

With any temperatures colder than the 20s, you won't find many conditions where there is high humidity. All the moisture in the air is frozen right out with a hard freeze, and it's not any issue of moisture freezing inside the intercooler.

For gasoline engines, the Chevy block heater won't function until the ambient temperature is below 0ºF. There is a thermostat built into the cord for this. The reason is that the ECU has some sort of check routine to where if the engine is shut down for more than 8-10 hours in cold weather, it does some checks on temperature sensors in the engine coolant. If you have a block heater keeping things warm it will throw some codes because the ECU expects the sensors to read cold and the warm coolant (perhaps from an aftermarket block heater without a cutoff) makes the ECU think the temperature sensors are bad.

The diesel engines only offer an oil pan heater, and that functions any time it is plugged in. It might help lubricate the engine in extreme cold weather, but these engines are good to start down to -40ºF if the fuel is properly treated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Came across this thread. Noticed Today after a good snowstorm in the DMV that my ‘18 Cruze Diesel wouldn’t kick into 9th Gear. It stayed in 8th gear all the way up I-95 with RPMs around 2500 and my typical mpg dropping from average 53mpg to 36mpg. Temperature 30° and Humidity at 84%

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thank you Barry for the excellent write up, I never did like the fact that GM put in a thermostat on the block heater cords. This started back in 2006 If I recall because My Monte Carlo SS with the 5.3 LS4 had it and it drove me crazy on those cold mornings not having it work!... To me, if its -10C or below, I like to plug my car in 3 to 4 hours before start up for the simple fact it just helps to warm the car up that much faster.....yes it's not needed, I guess just my preference. That's why I installed the oil pan heater....throws no codes and does provide some engine warming.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Came across this thread. Noticed Today after a good snowstorm in the DMV that my ‘18 Cruze Diesel wouldn’t kick into 9th Gear. It stayed in 8th gear all the way up I-95 with RPMs around 2500 and my typical mpg dropping from average 53mpg to 36mpg. Temperature 30° and Humidity at 84%
Interesting, sounds as if the diesel does this also then.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
To me, if its -10C or below, I like to plug my car in 3 to 4 hours before start up for the simple fact it just helps to warm the car up that much faster.....yes it's not needed, I guess just my preference.
My preference: I've got a good parka and mittens. They are not as nice as Bernie's mittens, but they are still good.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Only the automatic transmission ;)

I drive a manual. I choose the gear. If I want 6th gear and the engine protest... well, suck it!
Another interesting point. What is the real risk if there is no way to force a manual trans car to do this? Or does a manual trans engine do something differently to handle the problem?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
What is the real risk if there is no way to force a manual trans car to do this? Or does a manual trans engine do something differently to handle the problem?
Who knows? Maybe the MT cars crank up the boost by using the VNT vanes to where the intake air temperature is above freezing? Either that, or they just freeze up.

I haven't noticed any problems and I live and drive in a climate where it is frequently the conditions mentioned in the TSB. There are many, many days where the temperature is in the high 20s with high humidity, and I drive in those conditions without many problems. I can't say I drive for multiple hours, but I've made many trips that are at least 1 hour in these conditions and there are no problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Update: It looked to been the issue with my ‘18 Cruze Diesel RS AT Hatch. Once the winter winter commenced and the drying from the sun happened, my 9th gear returned. 70mph at 1600rpm averaging 56mpg with cruise enabled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2019 and notied my fuel MPG dropped a lot.. Then i noticed it is not shifting to 6th. But if i drive 80 mph the 6th gear kicks in.. But below 80 mph it drops to 5th. I have lower rpm above 80 then 65..
And yes its about 20°F here. But after and hour of driving it should be hot..

Also if i manually shift it still does not shift to 6th.. Frustrated now
Thanks all for the advice..
Its a bit warmer and dryer the past few days "after all the snow lol" and see its now shifting to 6th gear.. so yes you guys are all correct! Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Be happy Chevrolet at least recognizes this is a problem. My coworker just went through this issue with her 2014 VW Jetta TDI.

They bought the car used for a decent price (hail damage on every body panel) as one of the VW buyback cars. It had 40,000 miles and they got it for $14,000 with an extended warranty and all the 40k mile services done (DSG transmission fluid change, oil change, new tires, etc.). I didn't even think you could buy an extended warranty on a VW because that's a guaranteed money-losing deal, but I digress. Last week she was driving and the car was going into limp mode with the CEL and glow plug light flashing. The VW dealership said "Yeah, we're getting lots of that with winter weather" and set an appointment.

Come to find out there is a long-running TSB from VW. As early as 2011 or 2012, VW knew the intercoolers on their cars were icing up and filling with water. The problems caused were limp mode, rough running, and worst case was some owners hydro-locking their engines causing massive damage if the engines were running. For owners who parked the car and the ice melted, they could end up with an engine that would lock and not start and that was starting some fires where the current going to the starter was setting wires on fire. The VW solution is the TSB that provides a new intercooler with some different piping that I think drains it somehow, but the repair is only covered under the 36k B2B warranty and not under any powertrain warranty. It's a TSB done only on a per-car basis of reported problems, so VW is hoping that your car gets past warranty and then it's your problem. VW did nothing to fix the problem by integrating new parts into manufacturing of vehicles, so my co-worker's 2014 Jetta is affected even though it had already been a problem for a few years.

She had one morning where the car refused to start and she had to floor the accelerator to get it to fire up. She got lucky that she didn't hydrolock the engine, because the dealership said they put her car in the shop and the intercooler was full of ice that they had to let melt and drain, but then replaced everything with the "cold weather kit" to fix it per the TSB.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My girlfriend just bought a demo Cruze from a dealer with 6400km on it. 2 hours into our drive home from the dealership I noticed that the car was revving at about 3200-3300rpm which i thought was high. I was traveling at 120kmph btw, and i figure it should be at roughly 2600-2700rpm. so I slowed down to 110kmph and it was at 3000rpm. All traveling on a flat straight. It is winter here and being in Canada it was cold -3 degrees (27 fahrenheit), so just below freezing. I then put it into L and tried it manually. I dropped it 4 gear (revved high as normal), changed it to 5 gear (switched gears and lowered revs) then tried 6 gear and nothing (no change in rpm's). stayed at 3000rpm.

Brought it the dealership and they agreed after the test drive it didn't switch into 6th gear. After investigated it they said they found a form from GM head office that said some vehicles may experience the transmission not shifting into overdrive range during cold ambient temperatures. The conditions may be caused by the engine control system detecting conditions that indicate the freezing of moisture in the charge air cooler. I said that doesnt make sense after being on the road for 2 hours and everything is warmed up. He said it is the way it is programmed.

My question then if it's programmed that way then why is it only SOME and not most or ALL. My step daughter has the same vehicle in 2018 and it doesnt do it to hers. It sounds like to me an out so they don't have to replace it with a new transmission that is defective.

Has anyone experience the same problem and what has your dealership done about it? Do i have a defective transmission and travelling a high rpm's will it put strain on my transmission.

Thanks
Shayne

·
Registered
6 Posts
My girlfriend just bought a demo Cruze from a dealer with 6400km on it. 2 hours into our drive home from the dealership I noticed that the car was revving at about 3200-3300rpm which i thought was high. I was traveling at 120kmph btw, and i figure it should be at roughly 2600-2700rpm. so I slowed down to 110kmph and it was at 3000rpm. All traveling on a flat straight. It is winter here and being in Canada it was cold -3 degrees (27 fahrenheit), so just below freezing. I then put it into L and tried it manually. I dropped it 4 gear (revved high as normal), changed it to 5 gear (switched gears and lowered revs) then tried 6 gear and nothing (no change in rpm's). stayed at 3000rpm.

Brought it the dealership and they agreed after the test drive it didn't switch into 6th gear. After investigated it they said they found a form from GM head office that said some vehicles may experience the transmission not shifting into overdrive range during cold ambient temperatures. The conditions may be caused by the engine control system detecting conditions that indicate the freezing of moisture in the charge air cooler. I said that doesnt make sense after being on the road for 2 hours and everything is warmed up. He said it is the way it is programmed.

My question then if it's programmed that way then why is it only SOME and not most or ALL. My step daughter has the same vehicle in 2018 and it doesnt do it to hers. It sounds like to me an out so they don't have to replace it with a new transmission that is defective.

Has anyone experience the same problem and what has your dealership done about it? Do i have a defective transmission and travelling a high rpm's will it put strain on my transmission.

Thanks
Shayne
I have a 2019 Chevy Cruz that does the same thing but if you run up to 83 mph it will finally shift but as soon as you let off the gas it will shift back and RPMs will go back up but the shift is very hard and I think it’s their way of not covering it under warranty because he told me the same thing and it can’t be good on the car and if you watch your average gas mileage when it’s cold you get 10 miles per gas less than what you do when it’s actually shifting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Providing an update from my reply 2 weeks ago. Today, the transmission was in 9th gear for about 40 miles out of my 95 mile commute only to lose 9th and 8th gear in the transmission. Once that happened, check engine light came on. I called OnStar and they ran the diagnostic and found Fault Code: P0700 “Transmission Control System Malfuction”.

Mileage of issue occurring: 70,630
Temperature and weather at time of CE Light: 36° with light rain

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks
Shayne
My cruze has been in three times for this issue, twice this year. Im terrified of the warranty ending and this happening multiple times a year.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Thanks
Shayne
It's time to talk to a regional manager.

Tell him programming doesn't work that way. There is no such thing as a 'some' transmission software update.

Tell him to show you another one which does the same thing.

I have a feeling someone at the dealership was demo-ing the rev limiter to and from work.

This is extremely poor design-if it is purposeful

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
THIS NORMAL. THE CARS NOT BROKEN.

except for the
Providing an update from my reply 2 weeks ago. Today, the transmission was in 9th gear for about 40 miles out of my 95 mile commute only to lose 9th and 8th gear in the transmission. Once that happened, check engine light came on. I called OnStar and they ran the diagnostic and found Fault Code: P0700 “Transmission Control System Malfuction”.

Mileage of issue occurring: 70,630
Temperature and weather at time of CE Light: 36° with light rain
You set a code....you have an actual concern.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts