Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
It has nothing to do with the engine temperature. It's based on the outside temp and the intake air temps. Even if you car is at full operating temperature, when it's cold and humid the intercooler has the capability of collecting moisture and freezing it. This restriction of overdrive is meant to keep the intake temps up to avoid icing the intercooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My girlfriend just bought a demo Cruze from a dealer with 6400km on it. 2 hours into our drive home from the dealership I noticed that the car was revving at about 3200-3300rpm which i thought was high. I was traveling at 120kmph btw, and i figure it should be at roughly 2600-2700rpm. so I slowed down to 110kmph and it was at 3000rpm. All traveling on a flat straight. It is winter here and being in Canada it was cold -3 degrees (27 fahrenheit), so just below freezing. I then put it into L and tried it manually. I dropped it 4 gear (revved high as normal), changed it to 5 gear (switched gears and lowered revs) then tried 6 gear and nothing (no change in rpm's). stayed at 3000rpm.

Brought it the dealership and they agreed after the test drive it didn't switch into 6th gear. After investigated it they said they found a form from GM head office that said some vehicles may experience the transmission not shifting into overdrive range during cold ambient temperatures. The conditions may be caused by the engine control system detecting conditions that indicate the freezing of moisture in the charge air cooler. I said that doesnt make sense after being on the road for 2 hours and everything is warmed up. He said it is the way it is programmed.

My question then if it's programmed that way then why is it only SOME and not most or ALL. My step daughter has the same vehicle in 2018 and it doesnt do it to hers. It sounds like to me an out so they don't have to replace it with a new transmission that is defective.

Has anyone experience the same problem and what has your dealership done about it? Do i have a defective transmission and travelling a high rpm's will it put strain on my transmission.

Thanks
Shayne

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes baught a 2018 chevy cruze lt 1.4 turbo hasn't shifted into 6th gear in two weeks unless I go 80 mph then when I drop under 80 it down shifts into 5 gear an will not shift back to 6th gear unless I go over 80 got appointment 3/3/2021 at dealer but started shifting now that temperatures are above 30 degrees.im about done with chevy products

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Yes baught a 2018 chevy cruze lt 1.4 turbo hasn't shifted into 6th gear in two weeks unless I go 80 mph then when I drop under 80 it down shifts into 5 gear an will not shift back to 6th gear unless I go over 80 got appointment 3/3/2021 at dealer but started shifting now that temperatures are above 30 degrees.im about done with chevy products
LMFAO.

There's nothing wrong with the car. It's design intent. It's also nothing new. Many vehicles from numerous brands over at least the past 20yrs have had parameters to keep the trans from shifting into overdrive or I'm other cases locking the torque converter when it's freezing out. This is not new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
LMFAO.

There's nothing wrong with the car. It's design intent. It's also nothing new. Many vehicles from numerous brands over at least the past 20yrs have had parameters to keep the trans from shifting into overdrive or I'm other cases locking the torque converter when it's freezing out. This is not new.
Talked to three dealers none aware the problem

·
Registered
2017 LT RS Sedan
63 Posts
@Ma v e n how many times these last few weeks have you tried to explain it is normal and there is nothing wrong LOL.

Does this happen every winter?

61 - 72 of 72 Posts