Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Chevrolet cruze 45k 6 speed evrey morning my seacond gear grinds only early in the morning or wen the car is cool and now it does it more often what could it be

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Change the transmission fluid to Amsoil 75w-90. You're actually past due for it. The GM fluid degrades quickly and EVERYONE has issues grinding 2nd before too long.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The 2nd gear grind is a characteristic of the ECO MT when running the GM Synchromesh fluid. The LT MT will do it also, but not nearly as much. Regardless of whether OP's car is an automatic or manual, a gear fluid change is due at 45K anyway. Pick up 3 qts of AMSOil Synchromesh for the manual and ??? qts of AMSOil ATF flud for the automatic.

Someone with an automatic, how much fluid does OP need if he driving an automatic.

OP, also, be aware that the ABS self test occurs the first time the car passes 12.4 MPH, which is right where most of us shift from 1st to 2nd. This feels like a very quick one time grind as well. I notice this test more in cold weather.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
My LT was pretty bad once the fluid got old. I prefer the 75-90 over the Synchromesh (still ground a lot on the Amsoil Synchromesh too) IF you don't live in an extremely cold climate (winters often below the teens). Shifts way better once warmed up, and never grinds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to evreybody will change the oil and yes my car is an eco hopefully this makes it stop

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
My friends are constantly giving me crap about my grinding my gears. I gave up explaining that it's a fluid thing and just let them have their fun. I know that for all of the manuals I've driven in my life, never have I had one so "grindy"...

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
With a MT, have to have at least one inch of freeplay in the clutch, if you don't, the clutch is not fully disengaging.

Really preferred the manual clutch linkage Honda used, had a tool free thumbwheel, when free play got low, just had to give it a couple of clicks to get that freeplay back again. Even had an arrow on it, when that got low, told you, time to replace your clutch.

Hydraulics like disc caliper brakes are self adjusting without any warning, can have that freeplay one day, gone the next. Can either be air in the system, call this being lucky, or the clutch disc is worn thin, call this being very unlucky.

Really is a first class PITA job to replace these clutch discs, with RWD was a two hour job, with FWD, a weekend, and can't do this by yourself. And doesn't have to be the disc, can also be a leaking slave cylinder, same weekend job.

Just for the convenience of not having to give that thumbwheel a couple of clicks every 10K miles or so, have the "convenience" of a hydraulic self adjusting clutch. But not very convenient when you have problems with it, thanks to idiotic design.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
My friends are constantly giving me crap about my grinding my gears. I gave up explaining that it's a fluid thing and just let them have their fun. I know that for all of the manuals I've driven in my life, never have I had one so "grindy"...
Replace the fluid. My 2nd gear grind went away when I switched to the AMSOil Synchromesh.

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
Replace the fluid. My 2nd gear grind went away when I switched to the AMSOil Synchromesh.
Yes, I fully intend to. Assuming the MT fluid is part of my "new car" maintenance deal, if I pay for the fluid will they typically do it? Not that I'm afraid of doing it (although being honest I haven't touched a transmission in 15 years), but I'm of the mindset of "dealer do all the work on my new car".

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I believe the "New Car" maintenance deal is only for 2 years/24,000 miles. The first gear oil change is at 45,000 miles. The GM synchromesh is about three times the price of AMSOil and only lasts about one-third the miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts