Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving to work this morning, I was sitting at a light and noticed 3 generations of our car. In front to the left was a Cobalt and directly in front of me was a Cavalier. Then me in my Cruze. Whats the likelihood?

·
Registered
32 Posts
While driving to work this morning, I was sitting at a light and noticed 3 generations of our car. In front to the left was a Cobalt and directly in front of me was a Cavalier. Then me in my Cruze. Whats the likelihood?
Too bad we didn't get the ole 2.0 they had in the Cobalt SS.. :x

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,684 Posts
Until I wrecked it, we owned three generations in a row - now it's only two in a row.

Reactions: chevrasaki

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,353 Posts
My trips through Ohio have convinced me that the likelihood is actually quite high :D

My area, you'll probably have 3 generations of an Accord, Camry, or 43 Toyota Corollas around you all pacing each other at 10 MPH below the speed limit.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I skipped the Monza and the Cobalt but had each of the three gens of the Cav and now both of the Cruze. My first car was a Vega.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I had 3 generations of the Cavalier over the years. '87, '93, and much later, a '99.

Skipped the Cobalt because I had kids and needed more room, so I went with a '98 Malibu. Then I went even bigger, because the kids were bigger, and got an '05 Impala. Kids started going away to college, so along came the '99 Cav for the first college age kid, and I got a Cruze.

Technically, the Cruze is a 4th generation Cavalier, at least in China because that is what it is called there.

·
Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Too bad we didn't get the ole 2.0 they had in the Cobalt SS.
Even the 2.2 put in most GM mid sized cars(quite surprised they did not put in the LS at least) workhorse of an engine IMO

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
Even the 2.2 put in most GM mid sized cars(quite surprised they did not put in the LS at least) workhorse of an engine IMO
Especially when compared to the 2200 (which I had in the Cavalier) before it.

My 2.2L (L61) was always "peppy" when it was stock (making 124/134 at the hubs) - and with the blower, it's a little monster - and honestly, stout as ****.

I've been pushing nearly double the factory output for over 8 years and around (or past, now) 85,000 miles. Autocrosses, Drag strips, and Woodward (plus spirited driving normally)...it's really done well.

And if/when it does finally decided to toss a rod - forged internals will put my power limit up to where the bedplate/crank sees its limit - around 600 HP.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Especially when compared to the 2200 (which I had in the Cavalier) before it.

My 2.2L (L61) was always "peppy" when it was stock (making 124/134 at the hubs) - and with the blower, it's a little monster - and honestly, stout as ****.

I've been pushing nearly double the factory output for over 8 years and around (or past, now) 85,000 miles. Autocrosses, Drag strips, and Woodward (plus spirited driving normally)...it's really done well.

And if/when it does finally decided to toss a rod - forged internals will put my power limit up to where the bedplate/crank sees its limit - around 600 HP.
I had an 05 Malibu LS and luckily had the 3.5 v6. I kid you not it would light up the tires, and never had an engine light in 193,000 miles. Still managed to achieve 32-34mpg on the hwy too. I LOVED that car. Also for an LS it was well equipped, I had a sunroof, adjustable pedals, electric driver seat, 6 disc changer, and a 'spoiler'. Only thing it lacked was leather and fog lights!

·
2,170 Posts
I had the later model Cobalt with the Ecotec LAP 2.2L engine. It had a ton of tiny changes that made a huge difference. Paired with a robust close-ish ratio 5-speed manual gearbox and placed in a package weighing less than 2,800 lbs it felt pretty quick for what it was. I really, really miss my Cobalt, I'd still be driving it if that **** didn't run a red-light and destroy it. If I'm honest, I'm getting pretty fed-up with the behavior of my manual transmission in the Cruze and it probably won't be long before I get rid of it for a truck.

·
17,353 Posts
I had the later model Cobalt with the Ecotec LAP 2.2L engine. It had a ton of tiny changes that made a huge difference. Paired with a robust close-ish ratio 5-speed manual gearbox and placed in a package weighing less than 2,800 lbs it felt pretty quick for what it was. I really, really miss my Cobalt, I'd still be driving it if that **** didn't run a red-light and destroy it. If I'm honest, I'm getting pretty fed-up with the behavior of my manual transmission in the Cruze and it probably won't be long before I get rid of it for a truck.
When I started car shopping, I remember looking at a 2010 Cobalt and 2010 Focus on the used lot.

The Cobalt had one of the worst interiors I remember seeing (not that the Focus was much better - yay mid-2000's American interiors), but the engine was VERY smooth compared to the Focus and my I5 Volvo at the time and liked to rev - seemed to like 3500-4000 RPM shifts around town. The Ford was thrashy, slow, and the 4-speed auto was geared stupidly. Sadly, both engines seemed better than the stupid Honda R18 in the Civic which is just a gutless turd.

If I'd done it again, I probably would have waited til 2013 and bought the new Fusion. The interior in the 2012 looked like it was done by Playskool. I was actually thinking of buying a Camry (I would have been so bored of it) or an Elantra before I stumbled across the Cruze.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
I have no issues with my Cobalt's interior, honestly (especially the seats - Recaros).

It was way better than the Corolla at that same point in time (and years later) - that was such a hunk of ****. Yes it's hard plastic, but most in that segment were, at the time.

My mom is on her third 13+ Fusion (13, 15 and now a 17), and they did a solid job with the interior. But she had an 11 before that, and I really had no issues with that interior either.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Also for an LS it was well equipped, I had a sunroof, adjustable pedals, electric driver seat, 6 disc changer, and a 'spoiler'. Only thing it lacked was leather and fog lights!
Trim level inflation.
Back in 04-05, a base Malibu had air and cruise, LS was well appointed with a bigger engine, and LT stood for Leather Trim.

Today LT means 'normal', and LS means 'stripped'.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Trim level inflation.
Back in 04-05, a base Malibu had air and cruise, LS was well appointed with a bigger engine, and LT stood for Leather Trim.

Ahhh I didn't realize that! It definitely showed up my 2014 Cruze LT which when I bought it only had cruise and the 'better' engine lol

·
10,713 Posts
Trim level inflation.

Kinda like Buick Century Custom and Limited. Custom sounds a lot like Limited if you ask me but luckily I had a Limited. it kinda got traded to get the Cruze. Back then the Custom had the built in car seat option.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
Kinda like Buick Century Custom and Limited. Custom sounds a lot like Limited if you ask me but luckily I had a Limited. it kinda got traded to get the Cruze. Back then the Custom had the built in car seat option.
Yup - my brother has the Custom - which...wasn't really that "custom" at all, haha.

But it is comfortable as ****, rides like a cloud and since it has a 3.1L, it sounds pretty muscular and moves without much issue. His rockers are shot, though - odd, because the rest of the car is incredibly clean underneath...and he just got a new (used) trans over the summer.

Other than that, it's a great car. Sounds nice inside too with all the work I've done, so I'd rather he not get rid of it.

·
17,353 Posts
We had a Custom Limited! Or something like that; both were on the glovebox area inside the car. Seats like a super comfy couch. 1987, 3800 V6 that proudly claimed "sequential fuel injection" on the fenders. That old people car (it was actually given to us by my grandpa) would HAUL - gobs of torque.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts