Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cross posting from the Gen 2 Service Forum. Here's a quick rundown: (2017 Cruze LT Manual, Leased new, Has 25k miles)
3 weeks ago, clutch would not return up from being pressed in, assumed it was slave cylinder problem.
3 days after being dropped off at the dealership I'm told I need a new clutch, not covered by warranty $1600 to fix.
Last 3 weeks, keep being told a part is on back-order nationally (pressure plate I believe), Chevy has assigned a Case Manager but really just says the same)
No loaner, have been renting out of pocket.

I'm essentially being held hostage by the Chevy's parts supply chain. My only desire at this point is to get out of the lease and buy a non-GM vehicle.

·
Administrator
25,212 Posts
Look up the lemon laws for your state.

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
G.M. does not guarantee your Car will work each and every day, nor do they guarantee part availability for a now-defunct Model. They do however provide alternative transportation if the repair is expected to last over 4 hours. In contrast, many 3rd party warranties DO NOT provide a Rental for parts on national backorder.

·
Administrator
25,212 Posts
G.M. does not guarantee your Car will work each and every day, nor do they guarantee part availability for a now-defunct Model. They do however provide alternative transportation if the repair is expected to last over 4 hours. In contrast, many 3rd party warranties DO NOT provide a Rental for parts on national backorder.
Actually, GM leaves the alternative transportation options up to their dealerships and will only reimburse the dealerships for warranty repairs.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have my doubts about the diagnosis myself. If the pedal is not returning, it sounds like a failure in the hydraulics and not a clutch problem.

Parts supply with GM has been terrible the past several months.

·
Registered
186 Posts
There's a bulletin talking about that issue. The elbow coming off of the transmission has a little washer in it (clutch delay valve) which gets clogged with dirt and prevents the return of the pedal. Needs a whole new redesigned elbow, hose, accumulator and slave cylinder.

Bulletin: PIP5558C

There should be some GM assistance line you can go to if these guys keep giving you trouble. I'm willing to bet there's no issue with the actual clutch. If there is then most likely the issue with the valve took it out.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
Actually, GM leaves the alternative transportation options up to their dealerships and will only reimburse the dealerships for warranty repairs.
I re-read the thread and the Dealer seems to think it's not a warranty item on a 2017 with 25000 miles. 1st thing that comes to mind is why wouldn't it be? Unless it was modified, abused, or used commercially I think you're right, a Lawyer is appropriate

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have my doubts about the diagnosis myself. If the pedal is not returning, it sounds like a failure in the hydraulics and not a clutch problem.
When I asked about TSB on the master cylinder, I was told they were going to replace it also. Convenient for them that the clutch was also bad!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct. They said because the clutch was a wear out part (and therefore not warranty) I was not entitled to a loaner. They said they would try to get me one, but they haven't been able to "find" one for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to save space:

Lemon Law/Attorney - I actually am an attorney and looked into the Lemon Law issue and the clutch seems to be a big exception to protection. Also, days spent waiting for parts do not count against the 30 day total required to trigger in NYS, however, there is a 45 day total cap. I'm at 22 days now, but all 22 days have been waiting for parts. It looks like it would have to sit for 3 more weeks to trigger the lemon law. Since I don't specialize in this area of law I talked to an attorney who does and he said proving the clutch was defective would be more trouble than it's worth. It seems having a manual transmission in your car is a get-out-of-jail free card for dealers since they can just blame you for not knowing how to drive stick. For reference I've owned 4 MT cars over the last 20 years and have never replaced a clutch on any of them.

GM National - Early on I called Chevy and they assigned someone to work on my case. I have spoken to them once, they said they were having trouble finding the part and redirected me to the dealership for loaner/rental car issues. AKA, sorry you're on your own.

After spending $720 renting a car, I have started looking into just buying another car and am bumming rides from family and coworkers. At this point I'm just burning money I could be using on a down payment.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What ever you do, do not authorize the repair UNTIL you can physically examine the clutch. You would be surprised how quickly the dealership reversed course when you want to know more information about the clutch’s precise failure

Ask to see it, they wouldn’t have thrown it away. Catch them with their pants down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
25,212 Posts
Just to save space:

Lemon Law/Attorney - I actually am an attorney and looked into the Lemon Law issue and the clutch seems to be a big exception to protection. Also, days spent waiting for parts do not count against the 30 day total required to trigger in NYS, however, there is a 45 day total cap. I'm at 22 days now, but all 22 days have been waiting for parts. It looks like it would have to sit for 3 more weeks to trigger the lemon law. Since I don't specialize in this area of law I talked to an attorney who does and he said proving the clutch was defective would be more trouble than it's worth. It seems having a manual transmission in your car is a get-out-of-jail free card for dealers since they can just blame you for not knowing how to drive stick. For reference I've owned 4 MT cars over the last 20 years and have never replaced a clutch on any of them.

GM National - Early on I called Chevy and they assigned someone to work on my case. I have spoken to them once, they said they were having trouble finding the part and redirected me to the dealership for loaner/rental car issues. AKA, sorry you're on your own.

After spending $720 renting a car, I have started looking into just buying another car and am bumming rides from family and coworkers. At this point I'm just burning money I could be using on a down payment.
At this point I'd get the state AG involved as well as the NHTSA. GM's parts supply issues are so widespread they may be in violation of Federal Law requiring vehicle manufacturers support their products for a minimum of 10 years.

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
The Clutch may be excluded from the Power train warranty but it should be covered under the Limited New Car warranty if you are still within 3 years in service?

"Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transmission cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring, and electrical connectors. Also excluded are the clutch and pressure plate as well as any Transmission Control Module and/or Module programming."

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I would definitely be asking questions about the "clutch" failure. I would demand old parts from clutch back. Maybe even insist to inpect old parts during the work before they reinstall the transmission.

I have had both hydraulic and clutch failures on past cars. When the clutch fails, it simply slips excessively. When the pedal doesn't release the clutch or return to its normal position its the hydraulics that have failed not the clutch.

Did you notice any signs of fluid leaks from the clutch pedal master cylinder or slave under the car?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
When I asked about TSB on the master cylinder, I was told they were going to replace it also. Convenient for them that the clutch was also bad!
It may be a gamble, but you could consider only authorizing the master cylinder repair and see if that solves it. Could also be the slave in the transmission, which may be why they want to do the clutch. Some dealers don't like warranty work, especially big jobs.

Maybe find out if the slave cylinder is part of this TSB? Or if they have to replace the slave when doing the master?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It may be a gamble, but you could consider only authorizing the master cylinder repair and see if that solves it. Could also be the slave in the transmission, which may be why they want to do the clutch. Some dealers don't like warranty work, especially big jobs.

Maybe find out if the slave cylinder is part of this TSB? Or if they have to replace the slave when doing the master?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Update: Paperwork for a different Cruze had been stapled to my file and the Service Manager said my car still has bumper to bumper coverage. They are going to replace the clutch under warranty.
Ok, catching up to this thread. The clutch is indeed only covered for 12k miles, but to wear it out that fast you have to really really try to do so. So assuming you know how to properly drive, the clutch did not fail. The Stealership was looking to make some $$$ from you by claiming it was the clutch, and thus not a warranty item.. because GM does not pay them well for warranty work. I had a failed Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF), and my dealership tried that on me too, mine was literately about 100 miles over 12K at the time. I knew it was a failed DMF due to the symptoms and the odd apparent reverse engine start that proceeded the failure. They demanded I authorize the pulling of the transmission, and if the cluctch was bad, I'd be on the hook for the repair.. but I was 100% sure it was the DMF, and it was! All warranty work, and they also replaced clutch hydraulics, because there is a TSB out there for many that had a pedal fail EXACTLY as you describe.

I think what REALLY happened is they realized you were not going to accept the "it's not covered excuse on the supposed failed clutch" and suddenly it was "paperwork for a different Cruze stapled to your file" It would be interesting to ask him what other MANUAL Cruze had paperwork stapled to yours, since the manual cruze is a rare breed indeed!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, catching up to this thread. The clutch is indeed only covered for 12k miles, but to wear it out that fast you have to really really try to do so. So assuming you know how to properly drive, the clutch did not fail. The Stealership was looking to make some $$$ from you by claiming it was the clutch, and thus not a warranty item.. because GM does not pay them well for warranty work. I had a failed Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF), and my dealership tried that on me too, mine was literately about 100 miles over 12K at the time. I knew it was a failed DMF due to the symptoms and the odd apparent reverse engine start that proceeded the failure. They demanded I authorize the pulling of the transmission, and if the cluctch was bad, I'd be on the hook for the repair.. but I was 100% sure it was the DMF, and it was! All warranty work, and they also replaced clutch hydraulics, because there is a TSB out there for many that had a pedal fail EXACTLY as you describe.

I think what REALLY happened is they realized you were not going to accept the "it's not covered excuse on the supposed failed clutch" and suddenly it was "paperwork for a different Cruze stapled to your file" It would be interesting to ask him what other MANUAL Cruze had paperwork stapled to yours, since the manual cruze is a rare breed indeed!
Yeah, the whole thing seems fishy to me but at least they are going to fix it under warranty so I don't want to make too much noise until it's done at this point.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yeah, the whole thing seems fishy to me but at least they are going to fix it under warranty so I don't want to make too much noise until it's done at this point.
My father-in-law spent most of his working career as a technician for GM dealerships. The way they pay out for warranty work is not very generous to put it mild. They will have an estimate for a particular job, and that is all they pay, if it say takes 1.5 hours, that is all they get, even if the job takes 8 hours. That and the rate is far lower than what they would charge a paying customer, as a result, they are always reluctant to do warranty work.

When I deal with a servicing dealership, I try to understand where they coming from, just because it sets expectations to be more realistic. I don't have to like that there will always be some pressure on their end to get better compensation for work that ought to be warranty work, but knowing the pressure they are under makes it easier for me see when that is in play.

I was at the dealership today to have them check out a MIL light and code that came and cleared on it's own, and there happened to be a recall for emissions, so they did that while I was there also. I witnessed a rare thing, that is worthy of respect. A paying customer was there and had requested an oil change. They noted his OLM had 72 percent, and he had a recent oil change from another dealership, and they recommended he not have it changed so early, literally they were making a recommendation to do less paid work... That's pretty good to see.

As to my issue, while I was certain the DMF was the issue, I can see why they would be concerned about pulling the Trans-axle to diagnose that issue, especially if I had done some reckless driving and burned out the clutch, even thought to me the symptoms did not line up with a burned our clutch, to them, if they get that many hours in, and it's not something GM will cover as a warranty item, they are left to either eat that cost, or pass along to customer, and I'm sure they would rather not eat that cost. That said, ALWAYS, ALWAYS confirm the work and diagnosis and be sure. I specifically requested to inspect the failed parts, and they should let you. I could not keep them as they say they send them back for GM to do failure analysis, but I got to see my busted DMF while it was still on the car and waiting for parts. The DMF failure is internal with the rubber buffers, so it gets very loose and rattles, if left too long it can separate and wipe out the bell housing and do massive damage. If you have the Gas Cruze, I don't think it has a DMF, the DMF is added to modern diesels with manual transmissions to dampen rotational vibration and gear rattle at lower RPMs and high engine torque, a dynamic that is not really an issue in a gasoline engine. I eliminated the DMF on my Diesel Truck, and will do same on the Cruze should it fail again and not under warranty, I'm quite OK with some gear noise to avoid this weak link in the power train.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts