Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I've started a couple of day's now to get this strange issue with my 3rd brake light , the led one on the rear window . It's a 2010 2L diesel cruze and has never given me any problems but it started doing this: works nicely on 12v power supply outside the car but when I instal it back in , the light works fine for a couple of days and then it glows wery dim , to the point where you can't tell if it is on but it's there .

Thanks in advance for any help .

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
See if there's a way to probe for the voltage at the connector while it's connected. It's too tight for meter leads, but if you stick some sewing pins down there, you should be able to make contact. The question is if it's getting 12V in the car or not.

The fact it starts good and then goes downhill suggests bad connection. But it might be drawing too much current and the BCM is having to protect itself.

Reactions: bostonboy

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Are you close to the ocean? I ask because this could be a corroded connection. I've seen corrosion on electrical connections start out with a good connection but then progressively get worse over time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply fellows .
I have checked for the voltage before but without the light in place and it got 12v .
In the trunk I have changed the connector because it seemd , to me , corroded and stell got the same issue .
Yes I leave near the ocean , can it be the pedal switch .?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
can it be the pedal switch .?
Since your car isn't a US model, I'm having to make some assumptions. In the US model, it's not a switch, it's a position sensor. The BCM converts that into the brake light signal. Since the other brake lights are fine, that's not an issue. What we're trying to figure out here is if the problem is the light assembly or the voltage coming from the BCM to drive it. The BCM isn't cheap and it will take a dealer to reprogram the replacement, so let's hope it's not that. I have seen various LED lights fail, so let's hope it's that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have no idea what I did but it seems to be working , had no problem all day today , Just unplugged and plugged back in the connections at the fuse box on the left hand side near the pedals .

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
That would lean towards a loose or faulty fuse. If it returns get a fresh fuse.

Reactions: obermd
1 - 7 of 7 Posts