Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering about my 3rd gear syncs. At times it seems to grind going into 3rd only. Typically only when speed shifting or sometimes downshifting. At times I can just throw the car out of 2nd an it will automatically go into 3rd. I was thinking it could be bc I just readjusted my driver seat or my son drove and moved my seat and not pushing clutch all the way? It is not a consistent problem and only started a week or so ago after moving the seat a little?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Speed shifting... I obviosly have driven too many heavy trucks / tractors over the years and after I broke a slotted split pin on shift mechanism in the late 80's on a sports car, I got out of the habit.

Sounds like a prelude to something to me. I got a vibe 5sp manual with 200000Km on it that I just gave to my 16 yo daughter, and she made that very same complaint just yesterday.

Might want to monitor what your son is doing to your car, I am assuming he might like to speed shift but may not have your finess, so to speak.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Seat position can have a lot to do with it......you have trained your arm/leg to perform the event at a certain point of leg travel....usually you have your arm trained to shift as your leg approaches a specific distance of movement.

I've blown shifts while drag racing simply because I had the seat (electric) just a touch too far back.......specifically the two/three.

If it was occurring every time, I'd think trans.....infrequent, I think leg/pedal distance.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
While I also suspect seat position, when was the last time you changed your synchromesh fluid?

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Question was directed at Patman. I noticed that the last thousand miles or so before I replaced my synchromesh all my gears were twitchy. Thus my question.

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the trans fluid replaced by a garage @ 30K and I am now at 63K. So it is about time. I don't believe my son would have caused problem other than moving seat. He only drove it 1 time in the last few months and
we were on the hwy. He hates driving a stick. but when he does he does well except for over revving when taking off which would kill the clutch more than the tranny. No I don't speed shift that often(it is not a race car and I know that) LOL I think the seat is the problem more than anything!

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Are you running the OE fluid or AMSOil? I had problems with grinding on the OE fluid from day one. Swapped out to the AMSOil Synchromesh around 45K and have only had a couple of driver error grinds since then.

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you running the OE fluid or AMSOil? I had problems with grinding on the OE fluid from day one. Swapped out to the AMSOil Synchromesh around 45K and have only had a couple of driver error grinds since then.
I had the oil changed at garage close to where I work and they did not specify brand last year. I found at least yesterday and today whatever was going on is not any issue anymore. As said previously, it must have been because of the seat adjustment.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,229 Posts
1st and 3rd are problematic for me when the fluid is really cold first thing in the morning. Might be a cable that needs adjusting.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,307 Posts
Just curious here .
Exactly what is the shifter mechanism in these manual trans cruzens made up of ?
Yeah the internals !

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Just curious here .
Exactly what is the shifter mechanism in these manual trans cruzens made up of ?
Yeah the internals !
Guts is guts......shift forks, syncronizers......no re-invention of the wheel in it.

The remote control, the shiftING mechanism, is comprised of cables.......rather standard fare for most front drivers.....and it does introduce a certain degree of......vague....to the act of gearchanging.

All of my manual cars are direct control like your Mustang......the shifter that you operate is connected to a rail mechanism, internal, that moves the shift forks.......very little potential for lost motion between lever and gear.

Front drivers have the lever housing bolted to the floor, cables going into locating eyes, cables secured to the housing, then out the floor to the remote mechanism on the trans where they are attached to a bracket and another set of locating eyes.
For all the monkey business that a front drive manual control has to go through they have become remarkably accurate.

20 years ago, you couldn't tell if you were shifting gears or stirring soup.......you'd move the lever, release the clutch, and......Surprise!, you found a gear.....sometimes even, the one you were hoping for.

Rob

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,307 Posts
Pbs . Hah !

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At times I thought maybe I broke/stretched etc with that little mishap I had right before Christmas, remember when I forced it back into 1 instead of 3rd and I had reduced engine power for a while. Everything seems OK now musta been my seat.

FYI Robby "pbs" pretty boring "s***"

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,307 Posts
Plastics for the internal shifting mechanism.

I am refering to what the actual interior shifting mechanism is comprised of ..

Bad reference , maybe I meant to state PSB s as in Plastics .

·
10,712 Posts
I had the oil changed at garage close to where I work and they did not specify brand last year. I found at least yesterday and today whatever was going on is not any issue anymore. As said previously, it must have been because of the seat adjustment.
Eh, that may be the issue. Sounds like my situation with random shop that I had 2nd thoughts with.

Me- What kind of fluid are you using for the trans when you swap for $69.99?

Them- a big tank

Me- No, like... what type is it?

Them- Red, same stuff we also use for power steering. You got any more questions?

Me- NOPE, none at all.

Yeah, moral is Red Kool-Ade doesn't always mean it's Fruit Punch.

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is why when I called the dealer it was $199. Of course they said a trans flush. I presume we were still referring to my 6M and not an automatic. Maybe I should have it done.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
The manual's gear box is just a drain and fill. Even with the overpriced GM swill it should be less than $100.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts