Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't bother. There's too much that can go wrong for very little benefit. The Cruze doesn't carry a lot of weight in the back so the drums are perfectly adequate, as long as they're adjusted correctly.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,460 Posts
The LS/1LT already have some of the best braking distances in their class, even with the drum brakes. Why upgrade?

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
The LS/1LT already have some of the best braking distances in their class, even with the drum brakes. Why upgrade?
I agree with that, but I would assume there would be some weight reduction switching & also a much higher/responsive brake pedal. There is also much less heat generated with discs(as it can dissipate quicker), so one could expect less brake fade with lots of hard braking. Usually easier changing brake parts down the road & never requires a torch to remove as most drums do after they have been on the car 80,0000+ miles.

Think I read on here that there is two different axles used on the rear of the cruze. If you have the correct one you just need all the parts which if I remember correctly also requires a change to the master cylinder or some other brake controller under the hood.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
Think I read on here that there is two different axles used on the rear of the cruze. If you have the correct one you just need all the parts which if I remember correctly also requires a change to the master cylinder or some other brake controller under the hood.
You are correct. There are two different axles used on the Cruze's with rear drums. Only one axle is the same as the one used for disc brakes.

In order for the swap, the parts you need to replace/tune/modify are:
Rotors/Calipers/Pads/etc. (of course)
new brake lines (from the axle to the brakes)
brake monitor reprogramming
brake fluid cylinder replaced/modified.

I asked my dealership about it because I was interested in upgrading all four wheels to the ZZP drilled/slotted rotors in the future, and posted the info they gave me for others who had a similar idea.

From the pictures that he showed me, there is a universal axle that is used on both disc/drum rear brakes for the Cruze(the one needed if you want to make the switch). And there is another axle(for whatever reason), that was made specifically for drum brakes only. In which case your SOL unless you feel its necessary to replace the entire rear axle, which would just be insane(cost wise & sanity wise).

Reactions: spacedout

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
This is just a guess but if there are two axles, its probably one with the zlink & one without. So LS cruze & Eco stick cars probably could not do this upgrade.

It that ends up being the case I think the 2013 cruze 1LT also does not get the zlink unless you have the RS package.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2012 LT with RS im almost 100% i have the zlink so im not sure if that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
easiest, and possibly cheapest, way to do it is just keep checking junkyards till you find a wrecked one with the Z-Link rear beam and buy the whole thing. Almost the entire rear beam is identical between cars, I think they are the same all the way to the backing plates. The rest of the parts bolt on

Edit: According to the parts catalog the rear beam with or without watts link is the exact same part. The Z-link suspension is all bolt on parts

·
Administrator
15,754 Posts
I have thought about upgrading myself but the my LS stops fine with rear drum. as coineach said probably not worth the money or time
I'd agree with this statement. The drums are significantly larger than any other car I've seen with drums. They do a fine job at stopping the car on the street.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
This is just a guess but if there are two axles, its probably one with the zlink & one without. So LS cruze & Eco stick cars probably could not do this upgrade.

It that ends up being the case I think the 2013 cruze 1LT also does not get the zlink unless you have the RS package.
Incorrect. Most of the cars WITH rear drums, are in fact, the LS/Eco, and I believe the 1LT(although i'm not sure on this). And Having an LS myself, I have the proper axle to swap my drums for disc brakes if I want to. Which, as stated above, I would get the ZZP kit;although that would only be for appearance for when I bring my Cruze to shows(which unless I randomly win the lottery, probably wont happen).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone actually made the switch? If so what were the results. Also I'd really like to hear whether or not you race your Cruze... Either track or street not discriminatory. .. just curious?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Has anyone actually made the switch? If so what were the results. Also I'd really like to hear whether or not you race your Cruze... Either track or street not discriminatory. .. just curious
not noticeable to me at this point maybe it will be later down line. But it looks better then the drums

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
I agree with that, but I would assume there would be some weight reduction switching & also a much higher/responsive brake pedal. There is also much less heat generated with discs(as it can dissipate quicker), so one could expect less brake fade with lots of hard braking. Usually easier changing brake parts down the road & never requires a torch to remove as most drums do after they have been on the car 80,0000+ miles.
Disc brakes actually generate more heat than drums do. The difference is that as hot metal expands the drum moves away from the lining making a longer brake pedal movement. Disc brakes on the other hand expand towards the lining. Disc will cool faster when the brake effort is released.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Already had to have my rear calipers replaced after a major battle, they refused to adjust.

Want 120 bucks each for these things and don't include the pad brackets nor the damper.

Are adjusted by working the parking brake that for whatever weird reason is also a self adjusting hand brake, more problems. What in the **** is wrong using a nut, only had to be adjusted maybe once or twice for the life of the vehicle. These damned things can slip. Least the rear calipers on the Cruze keep the car from coasting with the parking brake on hard. Took GM over ten years to get this right starting from 1978, don't have the surface area like drums have. Parking brake cables are also different, and the Cruze dumped the proportioning valves and are using the ABS instead to replace these.

GM could never design rear calipers correctly and the Cruze is no exception, figure in the next year will be out another 250 bucks. Also did a terrible job on the drums, sure got it right in the 04 Cavalier, but really screwed up with the Cruze. Don't these guys know their history?

Those pad brackets with clips are a very bad idea, traps rust between the clips and the brackets that locks your pads. More than a yearly job to keep those clean. And going to weak drum return springs like used on the 41 Chevy was a very bad idea.

Dealers around here blame road salt as the problems, I don't put road salt on the roads, and the 04 Cavalier never had problems with road salt, the Cruze sure does. Ha, if you want to change your brakes, get some off an 04 Cavalier. Finally got that right over years, but then had to switch them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can't believe that someone would want to go to the expensive and bother for this swap. Unless you take the car to the track, if it were me I would just upgrade the front pads and be done with it. Personally I've had great success with EBC products. If one does this just for appearance, that's nuts. IMO.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Gains would be minimal, I think I found that doing the swap was around $900. ZZPerformance's kit only fits sonic and they have zero interest in continuing development on Cruze parts from emails I've exchanged with them. If you want to blow that kinda coin, brake pads, and find someone to customize your shoes with better material.

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Will the New Cruze body style catch the US up with the rest of the world and be all disc brakes standard?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Already had to have my rear calipers replaced after a major battle, they refused to adjust.

Want 120 bucks each for these things and don't include the pad brackets nor the damper.

Are adjusted by working the parking brake that for whatever weird reason is also a self adjusting hand brake, more problems. What in the **** is wrong using a nut, only had to be adjusted maybe once or twice for the life of the vehicle. These damned things can slip. Least the rear calipers on the Cruze keep the car from coasting with the parking brake on hard. Took GM over ten years to get this right starting from 1978, don't have the surface area like drums have. Parking brake cables are also different, and the Cruze dumped the proportioning valves and are using the ABS instead to replace these.

GM could never design rear calipers correctly and the Cruze is no exception, figure in the next year will be out another 250 bucks. Also did a terrible job on the drums, sure got it right in the 04 Cavalier, but really screwed up with the Cruze. Don't these guys know their history?

Those pad brackets with clips are a very bad idea, traps rust between the clips and the brackets that locks your pads. More than a yearly job to keep those clean. And going to weak drum return springs like used on the 41 Chevy was a very bad idea.

Dealers around here blame road salt as the problems, I don't put road salt on the roads, and the 04 Cavalier never had problems with road salt, the Cruze sure does. Ha, if you want to change your brakes, get some off an 04 Cavalier. Finally got that right over years, but then had to switch them.

Should have posted up I have an extra set with pads and brackets would have sold you both for 150 shipped

Reactions: Merc6
1 - 20 of 23 Posts