Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[h=1]Breaking News...
New Takata air bag recall widens up to 40M more vehicles, larger than previously reported--CNBC[/h]

·
2,254 Posts
I seen that this morning. Something else.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I saw this a few days ago. I think it's about time the NHTSA and other safety agencies around the world just issue a worldwide recall on these **** airbags. All vehicles all manufacturers. Takata has been dragging their feet on this.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I read sometime ago that the air bag business was something like 40% of Takata's business. Just replacing the Honda bags would not have impacted them that much. This recall may well kill the company. I wouldn't even trust their seat belts after their behavior on the air bags.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Gather it is not easy to design a bomb when it explodes not to produce shrapnel. Especially when its buried under a piece of plastic, is Takata also responsible for that piece of plastic as well? Like that one in the center of your Cruze steering wheel, I am sure Takata didn't make that.

Would feel the automotive manufacture that used these air bags would also in some way be at least partially responsible, are accepting liability for everything they specify, and what about their own testing?

What about the law makers that made these air bags mandatory, didn't they make standards for performance? You just can't make laws without making standards. Did make laws if you have children under a certain size, they can no longer sit in the front seat of a vehicle because of these air bags. And without any compensation.

Just can't see where Takata is solely responsible. Also those that made a good profit selling these vehicles, they are selling dangerous objects.

Man has been using asbestos for thousands of years, considered the best material to use for flame protection, we didn't make asbestos, nature did, so we used it, then suddenly overnight was considered dangerous to health, and had to recall all of our products that used it at our expense, darn near went into bankruptcy. Wasn't the only problem, trying to find something that would work in its place.

Can tell you who really profits from stuff like this, attorneys, they sure didn't give any advice and what or what not to use, and certainly are totally incapable of providing solutions. Just like Monday morning quarterbacks, after the facts, and really a great opportunity for these basterds to clean up on it.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Gather it is not easy to design a bomb when it explodes not to produce shrapnel.
And it has to remain stable over time in a variety of climates. I'm also reading where they were made by hand, so there was quite a bit of variability. Obviously they didn't embrace Deming and minimizing variation.

·
2,170 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, my less than 12 year sons were taller than their mother, this is from the NHTSA website.

"Please keep in mind that placing a child in the front seat, no matter what the circumstances, comes with increased risk. Frontal impact crashes represent 59 percent of passenger vehicle "tow-away" crashes and result in 38 percent of passenger-vehicle occupant fatalities (2002-2006 National Automotive Sampling System - Crashworthiness Data System, 2006 Fatality Analysis Reporting System). NHTSA recommends that children 12 and younger ride in the rear seat in the appropriate child restraint system: an infant in a rear-facing infant seat, a child in a forward-facing child restraint, an older child in a booster seat, and a child who is large enough in an adult seat belt. (For additional information on appropriate child safety restraint systems, see NHTSA's."

Generally for unbelted occupants, airbags are only good for speeds under 25 mph. Another major problem with these things, one size does not fit all, wife is only 5'2" tall, her head is very close to that bag. A short friend, male, got his neck broken in a minor fender bender accident, not to mention people, even mechanics, getting injured by these things when having to remove them for other service.

More children were killed by these things than adults saved that refused to wear their safety belts, law say to put your kids in the back seat, what back seat? Babies under a year old are required to have rear facing seats, most driver's can avoid a head on collision, but are completely helpless when being rear ended.

So much for the law, but is the law and must be obeyed, or will cost you a fortune in fines.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
How was Jeep like the only company not affected? Do they not use airbags? lmao
There are other companies making air bags. Black Betty has ones by AirKin. The real problem is these other companies are struggling to up their production capacities to fill the need for the recalled Takata bags.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How was Jeep like the only company not affected? Do they not use airbags? lmao
They do, but the cars break down before the airbag gets dangerous, haha.
J/k . Takata is not the only supplier that makes airbags and many of the US brands used them less than the Japanese brands did (makes sense, they're a Japanese company). Other suppliers also use different propellants and different engineering solutions and are not having the same issues of the propellant breaking down over time (at least that we know of so far).

Edit: GM is also largely un-affected as far as I know. There are a couple exceptions, but most of the GM branded cars recalled for this issue are Pontiac Vibes (aka Toyota Matrix), which were designed by Toyota.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts