Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how to explain this. I did a search and couldn't find anything. Our 2012 Cruze LS/RS 1.4 is acting up. No codes so can't really pin point it. Just that when my daughter drove it she said it was jerking some going down the highway at times when she gave it light throttle to pass.

I took it out and what I have noticed is that it will jerk/buck some, not much but it is kind of like it has a miss in it, but only noticeable in manual drive in 5th gear. When I shift down to 4th and run the throttle, either lightly or hard it doesn't do it, same in 6th, but seemed to do it when in 5th.

It does it in drive but I wanted to narrow it down to see if it was gear specific and it seems to be only in 5th for the most part.

If you go out and start at WOT it runs fine all the way up to cruising speed.

Again, no codes/CEL, could it be a bad coil pack or one going out?

I played with it for about 30 minutes and it didn't get any worse. Plenty of power if you are at hwy speed and punch it, no noticeable jerking. Just seems to be happening under light throttle conditions.

Anyone else with these symptoms?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Not on my Cruze, but have seen that a couple times before.

Without codes, it is going to be a bugger to track down.

First thought - mass airflow sensor. Try cleaning it (there are sprays for this). Had this fail on 2 cars, and the GM one acted very similarly. The car ignores the MAF at WOT.

Second thought - try cleaning the throttle body.

Third thought - check for vacuum or boost leaks. Loose intake clamps, etc.

Had it happen with a stuck EGR valve on a Toyota too, but as the Cruze doesn't have one, we can throw that one out.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not on my Cruze, but have seen that a couple times before.

Without codes, it is going to be a bugger to track down.

First thought - mass airflow sensor. Try cleaning it (there are sprays for this). Had this fail on 2 cars, and the GM one acted very similarly. The car ignores the MAF at WOT.

Second thought - try cleaning the throttle body.

Third thought - check for vacuum or boost leaks. Loose intake clamps, etc.

Had it happen with a stuck EGR valve on a Toyota too, but as the Cruze doesn't have one, we can throw that one out.
Thanks, I will check all this out once the storm passes this weekend. So far it is major blowing rain.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Clean spark plugs gaped at 26 mils, just a little 4 cylinder engine, every spark counts. Sounds like engine loading, really blows out a spark. Should also be torqued at 18 ft-lbs with good gaskets, also causes blowby past that gap.

·
17,488 Posts
Spark blow out generally happens at heavy throttle openings and heavy boost. My own car was doing it a couple weekends ago when I'd go for full throttle passes.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Can add heavy engine loading to that list, like driving up a hill in 5th gear at 20 mph. This is also when detonation is at its worst, or maybe at its best. Like buying octane enriched fuel without the ethanol added to it. Or maybe very little of it.

·
17,488 Posts
Except the OP says it's light throttle applications in 5th. Which is why I would lean heavily towards a sensor issue.

Still, plugs would be worth changing if they haven't been yet in the cars life.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed new plugs not to long ago and made sure the gap was at .028. I will go back and check to make sure they are tight since I didn't actually use a torque wrench.

A friend of mine works at a chevy dealership in the parts department and he said that they have been replacing a few coils in these. Anyone else hear that as well?

·
17,488 Posts
I installed new plugs not to long ago and made sure the gap was at .028. I will go back and check to make sure they are tight since I didn't actually use a torque wrench.

A friend of mine works at a chevy dealership in the parts department and he said that they have been replacing a few coils in these. Anyone else hear that as well?
Mostly because people break the boots. Often. So be careful taking it back off, but I've never damaged mine.

Also double check the springs inside the boots are straight when you put the coil pack back on. That can cause a stutter or misfire.

·
2,254 Posts
Mostly because people break the boots. Often. So be careful taking it back off, but I've never damaged mine.

Also double check the springs inside the boots are straight when you put the coil pack back on. That can cause a stutter or misfire.
Guilty as charged. Stupid ass design.

Be patient with that part haha

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
543 Posts
My daughter's 12 Eco had the same issue. The coil pack had a tower that was broken off at 60,000 miles. I don't believe the coil had ever been off, but I bought the car totaled at 28,000 miles. There was plenty of evidence of water in that well (#4). Looks like it was broken for a long time. Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Engine Machine Tool Metal

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My daughter's 12 Eco had the same issue. The coil pack had a tower that was broken off at 60,000 miles. I don't believe the coil had ever been off, but I bought the car totaled at 28,000 miles. There was plenty of evidence of water in that well (#4). Looks like it was broken for a long time. View attachment 211010 View attachment 211018
I couldn't find anything wrong when I went back over it so I picked up a new coil to see if that stops it.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Probably wouldn't hurt to do the plugs at the same time. I gapped mine a little tighter than the OE spec.
Hopefully no tighter than 0.025". The revised spec for our plugs is 0025-0.0274".

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update. Ordered a new coil and installed it. Problem went away. Glad to know it was a simple fix and not to expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im having the same problem on my 2014cruze RS 6speed manual. I changed the air filter spark plugs and engine oil the day before and today in fifth and sixth gear if i give too much throttle when traveling 55mph or above the car will jerk and stutter. i have to apply slow steady throttle to gain speed. also added lucas oil engine treatment to the oil and to the fuel which has me worried. i drove the car on the highway all day and it never did this then i changed everything and now im having issues so i know it has something to do with what i messed with. will check coil pack and plugs.

·
17,488 Posts
Im having the same problem on my 2014cruze RS 6speed manual. I changed the air filter spark plugs and engine oil the day before and today in fifth and sixth gear if i give too much throttle when traveling 55mph or above the car will jerk and stutter. i have to apply slow steady throttle to gain speed. also added lucas oil engine treatment to the oil and to the fuel which has me worried. i drove the car on the highway all day and it never did this then i changed everything and now im having issues so i know it has something to do with what i messed with. will check coil pack and plugs.
Check the gap on the plugs & set to .028 if it's not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.