Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
mathematically it will cause a .009 or so loss in mpg, but a thicker oil may help in hotter temps like here in florida

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any difference in protection? I run a lot of miles and sometimes they are very hard miles with my job a small loss of fuel mileage is no big deal to me

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Any difference in protection? I run a lot of miles and sometimes they are very hard miles with my job a small loss of fuel mileage is no big deal to me
in hot climate it should provide more protection since at higher temps it should stay a little more thick thus hold its properties better. now if you live in Alaska where it gets extremely cold a thinner oil would be better since its more fluid during cold start up

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Ive run both, I'm sticking with the 30W now after oil analysis didn't show any difference with the 40W. It won't hurt at all to run though and like others said would probably be slightly beneficial in high temp situations. The 30W oils that meet the low-saps light duty diesel specs are already basically a 38W as it is. They're a whisker away from being considered a 40W viscosity wise.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I've strictly used 5W30 in mine for all 148K miles. I drive it hard too, but I always let the turbo cool down for a few seconds before shutting the car off.

Reactions: pacolino
1 - 8 of 8 Posts