Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Maryland and apparently the cops are pretty strict with window tint. The legal limit here is 35% net on front/back side windows and rear window so I'm wondering if it's even worth getting 50% on all the windows to net 35% since factory glass is 70%. Any advice is would be awesome, thanks! :grin:

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
I don't live in your state, but I would say you're safe. In IA we can have 70 on front sides. I have 35 on both front/back sides, and I've thought about going a tad darker b/c it's almost too light for my taste on a dark colored car (black).

I live by the police station and often drive beside or sit at lights beside police and I have yet to be pulled over by them. Usually when I see a tinted car pulled over it's a Honda Civic with a soup can exhaust that scrapes the ground - no idea what they're getting pulled over for, but gotta say when you're going for that package look you're kinda asking for it.

I've been pulled over twice in my Cruze, both times in other states: CA (daylight) for speeding, and MN (night) for suspicion of OWI - both times I rolled front windows down fully before the officer approached the vehicle, out of courtesy, and they have never said a thing about my tint.

Sent with iLove 6.0

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses!

Jukebox Juliet : So is your tint 35 over the factory or 35 overall? I have been reading that if you don't go super dark and aren't driving like a fool, it seems like the cops won't bother you. My car is white so I'm assuming the tint will look somewhat darker though the interior is grey which will probably do the opposite.

There are a couple decent tint shops close to me since I'm near Baltimore. The one I was looking to go with has pretty many 5-star reviews and prices seem fair so I'm too worried about that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
When I was stationed in MD for 3 years I had 35% on my windows and never had an issue (even got pulled over a couple of times). Here is a pic of my wifes car with 50% over the factory it isn't bad but I personally prefer darker.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Just get legal, not worth the hassle.

Plus it's always that one time you've had one to many to drinks that you will get stopped!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jcihos: So you had 35 tint or 35% net? And was it over factory tint? Did you get pulled over specifically for tint or was it something else they pulled you over for?

·
Registered
104 Posts
jcihos: So you had 35 tint or 35% net? And was it over factory tint? Did you get pulled over specifically for tint or was it something else they pulled you over for?
I have 35% tint plus whatever stock on my grand prix is. I never got pulled over for tint I got pulled over because a cop was running plates and mine came up as non-current registration because I had out of state plates. I got my tint done at Tint and Sound Customizing in Frederick and they did a great job on it.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I am a 3m dealer in Maryland. I have Crystalline 50% on my cruze and as a tinter for almost 15 years even though I dont tint anymore. Its the first time I went legal and I really enjoy it. Maryland is tricky it depends on where you live and the law enforcements general policy. Where in md do you live? Most of my customers get 35% I like to give the analogy that its like going 5mph over the speed limit yea you are not meeting state requirements but you are not being obnoxious. Can you get pulled over for it yes but at @ 35 its not common

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am a 3m dealer in Maryland. I have Crystalline 50% on my cruze and as a tinter for almost 15 years even though I dont tint anymore. Its the first time I went legal and I really enjoy it. Maryland is tricky it depends on where you live and the law enforcements general policy. Where in md do you live? Most of my customers get 35% I like to give the analogy that its like going 5mph over the speed limit yea you are not meeting state requirements but you are not being obnoxious. Can you get pulled over for it yes but at @ 35 its not common
I live in the Aberdeen area kind of around Rt. 40 which I heard some sections of that cops do pull people over. That is a good analogy, I like that! Haha I mean I'm not trying to be obnoxious or anything with the tint, I would just like a little more sun/heat blockage and I think it would look really good on my Cruze. I mean I've been looking at cars when I'm driving to work and such and some people's tint look dark as **** but somehow never get pulled over. I can just imagine with my luck I would be the one to get pulled over and then they would probably through another ticket on that for no plate in the front even though there's not a front mount, oh well! Lol

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
I had 35% film on the 1996 Saturn SL2 I used to own (bought it new)....drove it heavily all over MD for almost 8 years...never got grief about it. 20% you are likely to get grief over because its the difference of the cop being able to see you and not being able to see you. They get skittish when its so dark they can't see you at 12 noon. They can't tell if you are pointing a gun at them or not. Or even how many people are in the car.

Reactions: theonenandrew

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had 35% film on the 1996 Saturn SL2 I used to own (bought it new)....drove it heavily all over MD for almost 8 years...never got grief about it. 20% you are likely to get grief over because its the difference of the cop being able to see you and not being able to see you. They get skittish when its so dark they can't see you at 12 noon. They can't tell if you are pointing a gun at them or not. Or even how many people are in the car.
Completely agree. I usually just have my window rolled down before the cop gets up to my car if I get pulled over. Helps put them at ease.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Do you know if your Saturn had any factory tint in the windows? I completely understand that not being able to see in a car during the day is pretty sketchy and why cops would be worried about that. I never understood why SUVs can have any tint on the back side and rear windows for those reasons. So would you suggest getting 50% over factory to net 35% or get 35% over factory and end up with just under 25%?

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Do you know if your Saturn had any factory tint in the windows? I completely understand that not being able to see in a car during the day is pretty sketchy and why cops would be worried about that. I never understood why SUVs can have any tint on the back side and rear windows for those reasons. So would you suggest getting 50% over factory to net 35% or get 35% over factory and end up with just under 25%?
I can't think of ANY vehicles that have completely clear glass on the sides these days. I'm certain that one didn't either. But its long gone so I really don't have any way of knowing or even guessing how much.

What I would do is make sure they are specific what brand, type and percentage film they applied on the receipt. I highly doubt any court is going to ignore that "IF" you ever got an equipment violation. Unless you go to one of the Kangaroo courts in western MD. At least Frederick and Montgomery county courts used to be sane and rational when I lived there

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
So would you suggest getting 50% over factory to net 35% or get 35% over factory and end up with just under 25%?
Since the factory windows are 70% tint, I would go with the 50% tint for a net 35% tint. 25% tint would look to dark as it approaching the 20% of less level. I also feel a car looks more high end without limo dark tint, plus the lighter tint will be much nicer if you drive at night.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Thanks for the responses!

Jukebox Juliet : So is your tint 35 over the factory or 35 overall? I have been reading that if you don't go super dark and aren't driving like a fool, it seems like the cops won't bother you. My car is white so I'm assuming the tint will look somewhat darker though the interior is grey which will probably do the opposite.

There are a couple decent tint shops close to me since I'm near Baltimore. The one I was looking to go with has pretty many 5-star reviews and prices seem fair so I'm too worried about that.
Oh sorry I just saw this. I'm going to guess it's 35 overall. I've never tested it though. :)

Sent with iLove 6.0

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
If you are registered in VA and you drive through MD with window tint that exceeds MD law it doesnt matter since MD L.E. does not have jurisdiction in VA so they can can not enfore another states law..

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I can't think of ANY vehicles that have completely clear glass on the sides these days. I'm certain that one didn't either. But its long gone so I really don't have any way of knowing or even guessing how much.

What I would do is make sure they are specific what brand, type and percentage film they applied on the receipt. I highly doubt any court is going to ignore that "IF" you ever got an equipment violation. Unless you go to one of the Kangaroo courts in western MD. At least Frederick and Montgomery county courts used to be sane and rational when I lived there
Not sure what you mean....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts