Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

55 watt HID foglights

8K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  WillL84 
#1 ·
Has any one put any 55watt hid's in thier cruze? I'm looking to get some 8000k but I'm not sure if the 55 would be that much brighter. Need some help deciding

#2 · (Edited)
Dont put 55w HIDs into the foglights of the cruze.

Doing so will MELT the foglight housing (literately) and is blinding and hazardous to other drivers.

To answer the other part of your question, I am running 55w HID's in a Acura TL projector retrofit on my stock headlights, more light then you will EVER need and makes the fog lights useless (cant tell the difference between on or off.
I only use my fogs when weather is very bad in severe fog or snow. They have yellow color bulbs.

#3 ·
Fog lamps make a huge difference, even the incandescent types compared to no fog lamps at all. Always use mine, in particular in the city, where the standard head lamps have practically zero side lighting for watching out for pedestrians.

Should come as a standard accessory in the Cruze, never had a car before with such poor side lighting.

Standard bulb is 35 watts, and the interior has to be air tight just like the head lamps. If not, when the bulb heats up creates pressure, when they cool create a vacuum that will suck in moisture. When wet inside, get very poor lighting.

Fog lamps on my 88 Supra are metal with real tempered glass lenses. Cruze is all plastic. But replacement cost for the Cruze is far more expensive, figure this out.

#5 ·
I'm not to worried about the other drivers being blinded, I'm more worried about me being able to see a lot better, I love in a place where 90% of the trucks are lifted higher than my roof so thier headlights shine right in my eyes, I would prefer the 55watt in my fog lights I have them in my headlights and they are amazing I just don't want it to melt the housing of them

#8 ·
Please don't run HID's in the headlights or foglights. That blinds other drivers and reduces the amount of light available for you to see with.

Upgrade the wiring harnesses to both the headlights and fogs. The OEM foglight harness is 18 or 20 gauge wire, and the power comes from the power distribution center. Run a 14 gauge wiring harness straight from the battery (with the appropriate fuses and relays to protect the OEM electrical system), and those 35 watt bulbs will have all the power they can handle.

#9 ·
Seems like a lot of us aren't exactly pleased with the lighting that came with the Cruze. We purchased ours at night, on the drive home, these were poor. Next morning switched to Sylvania Xtravisions, that made an almost acceptable difference. And a few months later added fogs that made a substantial difference.

Wife wondered why I was doing this, the fogs made her very happy. Still would like to find something a bit brighter than the Xtravisions, but don't want to blow 40-45 bucks for something where they lie like crazy and have a headlamp blow out in a couple of months.

What disturbs me about HID's, these have high surge currents, and can those made in China head lamps relays handle this? And what about EMI interfering with all that super high impedance logic circuits all over the place. Then with questions about the law.

Another alternative would be to hire a guy to walk in front of us with a swinging lantern, like they did in the old days.

Is a problem looking for a viable solution.

#11 ·
Want really bright? Replace the stock fog lights with LED spot lights. They are meant for off-road use. My brother put them on his Soul behind the grill, and its painful to look at him head on. They're tiny too, no larger than the stock housings...

Or go HID. I think 8k is too blue, and would be especially useless in fog.

#15 ·
Thinking about putting HIDs in your headlamps or fog lights?

CLICK HERE
And in case any of you are wondering credentials of said author...

Daniel Stern Lighting is North America's premier automotive lighting consultancy and supply house. Mr. Stern is an experienced consultant in the field of automotive lighting science and technology, setup, regulation, development, history and modification.
I need to start breaking up my posts into multiples. I could use a higher count! :p

#18 ·
55W HIDs will melt your foglight housings. A couple of Cruzes I know had workshops put those in for them because they tried putting H11s (55Ws) which share the same plugs as the original H8s (35W) and they didn't realize. The housings melted very quickly and the workshops had to replace them for the Cruzes. Stick with the 35Ws, even if you go with HIDs. It's more than bright enough anyway.

#20 ·
Just put some 35w hids in and you will be fine. All these people on here crack me up about "legal" talk. I have so many friends with so many types of cars with HIDs (That are not stock) and they drive behind, on the side and in front. Never am I blinded to the point of crashing! I swear half the members on here are 50 plus. If you want HIDs do it, if you want to be a fine law abiding citizen, don't.

#24 ·
Do not put HIDs in the fog housings. Just don't. Fog lights are FOG LIGHTS, not driving lights.

HIDs in our housings are illegal and unsafe. If you disagree, you are wrong or ignorant or both. The NHTSA documents and statements are out there if you have as much sense to research them as you would HID options and reviews.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.