Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a dilemma. Which oil should I run? I know the car calls for 0w-20 but it came with a fresh change of 5W-30 in it for whatever reason from the dealership I bought it from. Is it okay to leave that 5W-30 in there? Should I just always run 5W-30 or should I go get it changed to 0w-20? I've seen so many mixed things on here. Some people say there is no problem running 5W-30 in the 2018's. Others say to run 0w-20. Any insight would be great please. Will it hurt anything to run 5W-30?!?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
What does the owners manual say?

My 17 came with a 0-20 cap. It got swapped for 5-30 when I did the dealer oil change. No idea why.

The manual says 5-30 for my 17. I think the 18s dropped to 0-20

·
Registered
2 Posts
Run what it calls for. GM has no elective loads recorded for the Gen V 5.3 and 6.2 motors. Pass by GM and the proprietors manual and if the seller demands running an inappropriate load in you r motor, at that point change it yourself.
snaptube vidmate

·
Registered
Holden Cruze 1.8L 2012. 63k miles odometer (15-03-2020).
80 Posts
A slightly thicker oil will not hurt it. From what I can tell, many engines initially asking for 0w/5w-30 were suddenly changed to 0w/5w-20 by manufacturers with no changes to their design, simply for better emissions and fuel economy.

Because you have a turbo engine, I rather stick with 5w-30 oil as it gives better protection for the turbo. Oil gets much hotter lubricating the turbos fluid bearings.

Maybe a thinner oil was used during run in period when new. If you want slightly better fuel economy the Shell ECT C3 5w-30 is better. It is the purest synthetic oil being made from natural gas and is clear like water, if you can afford it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts