Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I'm not battling at all. I'm explaining my position on the subject compared to yours, and was trying to point out that, while neither you or I agree, neither of us is wrong. It's a matter of personal preference.

Sorry you can't seem to grasp the concept of having a discussion without a "battle". Maybe you should switch to

Since I'm awake thanks to full-strength, I'll interpret that as friendly advice instead of a battle call.

I'm all for a good debate, except when it turns to personal attacks like it was threatening to. How about we acknowledge there's room for personal preference that's not going to make anybody's car die a fiery death, and let this thread sink out of sight? :eek:ccasion14:

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Yep, it was totally a plot to have a catchy turn of the phrase!

Glad to hear we're arriving at the same result, even if it took me a bit to realize it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
^^+1

...and their is no dexos1 5w-20 approved, of any brand of oil. Stick with 5w-30, don't over analysis it. :)
I done my oil change yesterday with 5w20 pennzoil platinum full syntec dexos1 approved.I ask chevrolet service if it's ok to use 5w20 and the answer was it is no problem.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Uhh, our Honda that's gone 60k miles, hundreds of thousands of Hondas like it, zillions of other Hondas, and millions of Ford vehicles disagree with 20 weights not offering enough protection. They do a fine job of preventing wear, even on engines with 200k+ miles.

For the Cruze and its 1.4T engine, a 30 weight oil that meets/exceeds dexos1 standards (which are stricter than API SN and ILSAC GF-5 in turbo protection and shearing, IIRC) is the lightest oil I'd run. One needs some viscosity for adequate protection of the turbo.
I did not mean 5w20 isn't enough protection I use 0w-20 in our mazda 3s for 94000 miles with no problem and it calls for 5w20. I meant that it isn't enough protection for something that is calling for 5w30 protection. 5w-20 is fine for an engine that is requiring it for protection.

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts
I did not mean 5w20 isn't enough protection I use 0w-20 in our mazda 3s for 94000 miles with no problem and it calls for 5w20. I meant that it isn't enough protection for something that is calling for 5w30 protection. 5w-20 is fine for an engine that is requiring it for protection.
Manufacturers will continue to thin out oils as far as they can until the lubricant is incapable of protecting the engine. We haven't reached that point yet. I have a customer that is running a boosted LS2 motor that sees up to 100psi on 0W-20 and asked me to help him find an oil that would reduce his oil pressure. High flow oil pump.

We are on the verge of seeing SAE-16 oils, which will be followed by SAE 8 and SAE 12 oils. This is the future. The problem with refining these oils is that the lighter you make them, the lower your yields in the refining process is, so the more expensive the lubricants are. In addition, thinner oils raise volatility, and the API SN and proposed SP specification require no higher than a 15% NOACK volatility. The DEXOS1 oil is a "synthetic blend" and is at 13%, to put this in perspective.

We did have one customer mistakenly run Mobil 1 EP 5W-20 in his Cruze. The oil analysis for that is in the 1.4T section in powertrain in the oil analysis thread.

·
Registered
Holden Cruze 1.8L 2012. 63k miles odometer (15-03-2020).
81 Posts
According to this engine spec web page, 0w20 and 5w30 are indicated for the F18D4/2H0 & A18XER 1.8L non-turbo engines, which are all virtually identical to each other.

I have been running a 5w-20 oil in my 2002 silverado 5.3 and have been doing UOA on it from day 1 and I'm getting the same protection as I was running the 5w-30. At 126k all is well. All my UOA's show that the oil is just as good at protecting as the 30w. My wear metals are the same if not even less which is showing better protection. So it depends on the application and if you want to spend the extra money on UOA to determine if it is worth the cost. I have no life, my hobby is oil and UOA. I spend on it what most spend on hunting, fishing, golf and what ever else out there. Have a used oil analysis (UOA) accomplished on your Cruze, then switch to a 5w-20 and do another UOA. This can tell you if it is causing any issues. Plus you might see a MPG increase. I didn't in my Silverado, but then it is a heavier vehicle and I do drive it with a lead foot most of the time. :) On a side note, all the oils I have been running are full synthetic. Again, I like to tinker and explore, it might not be most of everyone on here interest.

Once I get our 2012 Cruze, the oil will be changed out at 500 miles and then again at 1,500 then again at 3,000. Been doing this to all my new vehicles. Overkill, probably, but I enjoy it. I'll go with a 5w-20 in the Cruze probably to see how it does.
BlueTopaz, did you end up using the 5w20 oil in your Cruze?

61 - 68 of 68 Posts