Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transmission on my Cruze Eco sometimes grinds on the 1-2 upshift above 4000 rpm. When accelerating from a stop in city traffic the RPM's flare slightly when upshifting even if I reduce the throttle position slighty and the transmission grinds going into second. If I let the rpms come down a bit it will shift without grinding at all. anyone else having a similar issue? any Ideas?

thanks,Robert

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,705 Posts
Haha everyone with a manual transmission experiences this.

Change the fluid out for Amsoil Syncromesh. I haven't ground a gear once since.

Use the search and just look up "transmission grind" and you'll find tons and tons of complaints about it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
:sigh:

Change the transmission fluid for pretty much any other GL-4 70w-80 or 75w-90 transmission fluid, and the grind will go away.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, I have some redline shock proof transmission oil, will give that a try at the next oil change.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Make sure it's GL-4 rated, or GL4/GL5 dual-rated. If it's GL5 only, don't use it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wonder if this is an actual issue or some people just need to learn to drive stick a little better? Never had this problem once in any of the cruzes I've driven.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Wonder if this is an actual issue or some people just need to learn to drive stick a little better? Never had this problem once in any of the cruzes I've driven.
It's not imaginary. I'll be changing my fluid out at the 15k oil change soon. I've driven many manual transmissions and learned on a 84 Bronco with grannie gears. Mine clunks going from 1-2 no matter how you shift it. I haven't gotten to the grinding yet but I don't intend to.

·
Administrator
25,267 Posts
It's real. I can cause my ECO MT to grind if I slam the clutch in hard for a 1-2 shift during WOT acceleration. It will grind even if I wait before shifting. If I put even a quarter second delay in the clutch down motion it won't grind.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hmm are all of you having this same problem on the Ecos only? There's currently a GM "stop delivery" (meaning we can't sell them) on select Eco manuals but GM hasn't released any information as to why. Wonder if it's a related issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,500 Posts
Hmm are all of you having this same problem on the Ecos only? There's currently a GM "stop delivery" (meaning we can't sell them) on select Eco manuals but GM hasn't released any information as to why. Wonder if it's a related issue.

I wonder I've had my entirr transmission replaced at 14,000 miles and then a new shifter assymbly at 17,000 I'm now at 28,000 with no problems.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

·
Administrator
15,676 Posts

I never could get the 1-2 shift grind but I switched to Amsoil Synchromesh at 6k miles. I did have notchy shifting before that, which went away with the new fluid.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,705 Posts

LT does it too. The hydraulic clutch is slow and the gap between 1-2 is a little big so the synchros can't catch up in time.

If I clutch too fast I can grind 2-3 sometimes as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, that's not good. Mine is "scheduled" to arrive at the distribution center on Thursday, and the dealer with in 48ish hours. Mine is an ECO MT, and now I wonder if it will be held. Has anyone else heard anything else about this? and why would it be SELECT MT ECO's? There has to be some sort of option package that is having fits with the MT's. Only thing that comes to mind is back up camera and back up sensors.

·
Administrator
15,676 Posts
I don't think there was a stop in production, as I see many still being delivered to dealerships. But they're telling us not to sell ones we have for the time being.

Maybe they read our forums and want to start filling them with Amsoil Synchromesh so they don't blow up synchros.

:D

·
Epic Beard Man
5,414 Posts
I saw a truckload leave lordstown this last Friday, how long ago did they halt production?
The Eco MT accounts for such a small percentage of Cruzen that it would hardly have any effect on production. They probably just re-sequenced the builds for the time being to all auto cars.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mine is a 2LT, I have not gotten the "grinding" but the notchyness started around 8-9k miles and it's very audible (clunking when shifting) on the outside of the car. No grinding yet though and I'll be swapping the fluid at the 15k maintenance mark (2k more miles).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a 2011 Eco, with just about 120,000 miles on it never had a grinding issue. But clutch was replaced at 110,000 because of a slipping issue. After the flywheel, pressure plate, and disk were replaced continues to slip anyone have any ideas?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts