Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
If the car stereo experts that I have consulted are right when they say that my Amp is too weak to power all my speakers properly would disconnecting the parcel shelf speakers (they are easy to access and are the biggest in the system) free up the amp's load enough to allow all the other speakers to function normally? Just a test, not a permanent solution.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am taking the car into the dealership tomorrow for the free oil change etc and would like to present my radio problems again. The only components readily accessible are the 2 large speakers in the parcel shelf. They do vibrate to the touch but they produce very little sound and the material beneath the trim rings seem very solid, not a mesh.

I parked the car, turned on the Bose system to play an Eagles tune with lots of bass from a USB memory stick. I opened the trunk, folded down the rear seats and crawled into the trunk where I could hear the music and reach the speaker connections.
My understanding of sound systems is very rudimentary, I believed that the 2 large speakers contributed a lot to the sound and disconnecting them would be very noticeable, not so in this car. I disconnected one speaker with almost no difference in the music being played, disconnected both with almost no discernible difference again. Music still sounds awful.

These components are not working, why? Parcel shelf is solid, faulty speakers, head end not working?

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,845 Posts
The 6x9s in the tray are not full-range speakers, they are basically low-range woofers.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I find the stock system pretty good.
If I were to improve it, I would probably add a subwoofer.

it wouldn't be the first system where the more expensive sound system is less good sounding than the cheaper ones.
Believe it or not, but the 2011-2012 Spark's premium sound system (the standard was just 2 door speakers that sounded dull) sounded much better than the Cruze's standard sound system.
It used the same sound system, but without the door style tweeters that the cruze had, and the sound is more balanced on that spark.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Drove down to the dealer and had time in daylight to disconnect the speakers and fiddle with the controls for a while with the result that everything sounded acceptable, good enough to listen to until I can get It fixed.
None of the people who had previously declared the system to be just dandy were on duty so I went home rather than start all over with someone else. Another day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Cruze with premium sound vs standard sound has different speakers and a different receiver/amp? I ask because I want to upgrade the sound in my 2016 Gen 2 Cruze. I was wondering if just upgrading the speakers and adding a subwoofer would improve the standard sound system close to how the premium sound is.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,895 Posts
The Cruze with premium sound vs standard sound has different speakers and a different receiver/amp? I ask because I want to upgrade the sound in my 2016 Gen 2 Cruze. I was wondering if just upgrading the speakers and adding a subwoofer would improve the standard sound system close to how the premium sound is.
Yes. With good equipment, you might even do better than the Bose system.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,845 Posts
Yes. With good equipment, you might even do better than the Bose system.
Yep - the Bose is a nice stock system, but you still end up with paper cone speakers.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
My Envoy is no Cruze ... but it had a factory Bose system and it sounded "ok" for the larger vehicle it is, but it simply wasn't good enough for my taste, not even as good as the Bose stereo in my '13 Volt. I finally broke down and purchased aftermarket last weekend and added a 10" JL Audio sub w/500w JL Audio amp along with a new Kenwood head unit, as well as new Alpine speakers in the doors/dash. I actually added the Alpines a few days before the sub/amp, and head unit, but they still sounded better than the factory speakers by far (the factory amp still powers the head unit and door/dash speakers) ... NOW it sounds like a car stereo SHOULD sound from the factory in my opinion. It's so good in fact, that I've almost gotten my wife to stop driving the Camaro! :D

Good luck in your search (I know Kicker had a "custom fit" setup for the G1 Cruze, not sure about G2)

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Now then ... Don Hamilton, if I'm not mistaken, I believe there may be some active noise cancellation going on in the Cruze with the Bose system. That would be something you might want to look into as well. I could be wrong, but I watched a video on youtube for a '16 Malibu that was having issues with his after installing aftermarket equipment ... but his description of the problems to me sounded similar to yours. Anything is possible these days with all the electronics in cars these days that can fail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Gen2 w/ the Bos Radio and I agree. There is night and day difference in my wifes 2014 base Malibu radion an the Bose upgrade. The Malibu sounds 3x better yes better. Clarity volume an even base. My 2004 Grand Am sun & Sound package was even better @ the of age of 13

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I've ordered Kicker- CS Series 6 1/2" 2 way speakers with polypropylene cones component system with crossover for the front. And a Alpine powered 10" Baseline subwoofer, Model PWA-S10V for the trunk. Going to see how this sounds before I do anything with the rear door speakers.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.