Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to do the 60,000 tuneup on my 2015 1.4 tubo engine. I will need to take it to a dealer for this. Should I request or supply plugs of my own or just go with what the dealer uses?

Should I be running 87 or 93 octane fuel when I take it in for the tuneup?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,920 Posts
I am getting ready to do the 60,000 tuneup on my 2015 1.4 tubo engine. I will need to take it to a dealer for this. Should I request or supply plugs of my own or just go with what the dealer uses?

Should I be running 87 or 93 octane fuel when I take it in for the tuneup?
OE plugs are fine. In my opinion any forced induction engine should always run premium gasoline.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well, if they will let you supply the plugs I sure would bring them in. One reason being, they are going to charge you double (or more) for the plugs. Secondly, I'd wan to to personally check the spark plug gap. IMO you will want to run the gap at .028", they are pre-set that way. But, actually they are just close, I just did this on my car this spring, and only 1 of the 4 plugs was exactly .028

AC Delco 41-121 (This is what you want to use, the number in your owners manual is wrong. I know this because we both have basically the exact same car)

As far as the gas, I'd use the same gas you always do. My car runs great 95% of the time on 87. And during heat waves I'll run 91. But if you want max performance and/or worried about LSPI, run premium all the time for sure.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My 2014 CRUZE owners manual....see page 11-5. Spark plugs: 96000 miles. Yes...nothing is written in stone, but if the car is not giving you a problem......if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
IMO change your oil every 4000-5000 miles. THAT is the most important maintenance item you can ever do.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My 12 called for plugs at about 100k, it looks like as the years went on they went more conservative on the plug life. I think it calls for almost 100k on my daughters 2011

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for you replys. I was also asking if the type of fuel in the vehicle at the time of the tuneup affects how the technician tunes it. I am alternating between runing 87 and 93 octane. Does it make a difference which I have in the tank when the car is tuned?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
The only thing a tuneup consists of these days is plugs.

They might try to sell you a injector clean.
And other ignition parts.

This isn't 1975 anymore. There's nothing to adjust.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The engine was designed and tuned from the factory to run perfectly fine on 87. You will see very little if any performance gains from running 91 or 93 octane. Maybe 2 or 3 horsepower if even that much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts