Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

$600.00! Volkswagen 258 mpg?

3445 Views 14 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Beachernaut
Sure all over the web, but according to this article, won't sell for 600 US dollars, Volkswagen has been working on a car that gets 258 miles to the gallon-Truth! & Fiction!, more like $25,900.00!

Fuel economy seems accurate with
299cc single-cylinder diesel engine, anti lock brakes, driver's airbag and an electronic stability program. "Former VW chairman Dr Ferdinand Piëch actually drove the L1 to the VW shareholders' meeting in Hamburg from his office in Wolfsburg which lies about 84 miles South of the German port. Piëch recorded 317.4mpg with an average speed of 43.5mph." Top speed is around 75 mph, still enough to get a big fat speeding ticket.

Also appears to be a two passenger rather than a single passenger vehicle.

Just posted this because most of us are interested in fuel economy. So what is Chevy doing about this?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
...and, just how many 'rush-hour commuters' do you think would accept snailing along at 43.5 mph while being passed by everybody else doing 65-75 mph on a road where the speed limit was 60 mph (wink,wink)? ? ?

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
No trunk, no grocery space, etc. This type of very high MPG car has shown up occassionaly but the tradeoffs that were made makes this impractical for all but a very few.

· Registered
683 Posts
These tiny little people-movers (or should I say, person-movers) are sort of OK in extremely dense Euro cities, as long as the driver doesn't need to haul anything more than a bag of groceries or ever hit the A-bahn. For the US, outside of special cases like HI and NYC, they're totally impractical.

Reactions: obermd

· Registered
885 Posts
...and, just how many 'rush-hour commuters' do you think would accept snailing along at 43.5 mph while being passed by everybody else doing 65-75 mph on a road where the speed limit was 60 mph (wink,wink)? ? ?
That 43.5 was the average speed of the drive. The top speed of the vehicle is 75mph, which would be plenty fast enough. When I lived in Europe there were many cars about that size or smaller. So I think that the market there would work for them, while in the U.S. it would be questionable. Shoot, even the average speed of it is twice as fast as a moped and much more fuel efficient. And mopeds are very popular in Europe.

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No trunk, no grocery space, etc. This type of very high MPG car has shown up occassionaly but the tradeoffs that were made makes this impractical for all but a very few.
May have to sacrifice 100 mpg to carry an extra bag of groceries. For additional extra safety, should make this car a bit lower, so you can drive under a Suburban.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts
Wonder how long you have to stand on the gas pedal to hit that 75. "Top speed of 75" reminds me of the old VW Beetle where you could hit that speed - downhill, with a tailwind, and it took 30+ seconds just to hit 55. You'd be pulverized around here!

· Registered
439 Posts
Meh.... I could take the engine/drive train out of a street bike and drop it into a small light tube frame with a sleek body and have great mileage. It doesn't change the fact that it'd scare the crap out of me to drive to work. I'll keep my mpg's in the high 30s and not have a heart attack.

· Registered
713 Posts
Chevy isn't doing anything about this because it will never be produced in anything near it's current form.

Cars that would be written off after a head-on collision with a dandelion like this one would never pass crash tests.

· Registered
885 Posts
Collision issues? Well, let's see...

We have mopeds and motorcycles on the roads, and they have no bumpers, much less any skin at all surrounding the driver. Then there's the Smart car, which has a very high crash rating.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts

We have mopeds and motorcycles on the roads, and they have no bumpers, much less any skin at all surrounding the driver. Then there's the Smart car, which has a very high crash rating.
Crash test ratings are based on colliding with similar sized cars.

You get hit in a Smart Car by a Hummer or Suburban, you're dead. There ain't nothin smart about that car.

Even riding a normal bike is putting yourself at the mercy of other drivers.

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

From what I paid for my 2012 Cruze with a leather interior, after GM Card and other rebates. Looks like this thing would cost $10,000 more, and from the photo, does it even have an interior? Does it have a heater, AC, and where is the radio?

Would imagine the most expensive component is that carbon fiber body, while the materials are not that expensive, highly labor intensive. Cruze would be that way made out of tin if the had to pay highly skilled labors to hand pound it out. And with Germany, also paying for their long vacations, taking a year off with pay to have a baby, health insurance. A lot like our government employees.

But know of companies trying to automate the carbon fiber process.

Not too much can be learned about their drivetrain with claims of 300 mpg. My old 500 cc motorcycle only gave me about 30 mpg. And whoever said they don't offer that much protection, is very correct as the other statement about many other idiots on the road trying to kill you.

· Registered
439 Posts

Your example only highlights the issues. Yes we have mopeds and motorcycles on the roads. When they are in an accident involving a car (even a smaller car), who do you think is more likely to be injured or killed?

Not too much can be learned about their drivetrain with claims of 300 mpg. My old 500 cc motorcycle only gave me about 30 mpg. And whoever said they don't offer that much protection, is very correct as the other statement about many other idiots on the road trying to kill you.
IMO the biggest efficiency hit on a motorcycle is due to aerodynamics. My co-worker has a street bike with similar displacement to my Cruze and gets approximately 35mpg. Granted, his bike isn't built with economy in mind, but if you were to put that engine in a streamlined body, I'll bet you could see some impressive numbers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.