Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated MPG pics

Went ahead and uploaded todays quick pics of my average MPG on my route today getting about 78 mpg average over 50 miles on a stretch of highway here in idaho with no stops at 57mph the highway is straight and flat. Today was 82 degrees with no wind at all and my tires were at 41 psi. eat your heart out prius lovers

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This was my mpg at the end of my route

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
65 degrees is almost ideal lab conditions, so don't expect higher MPG than that from temperature. As for octane, unless your premium is also E0 you won't do better than what your doing! Speaking of E0, E10 still gets 96.5% of the fuel economy E0 gets, so it's much less of a difference than people think!!! Something to think about when calculating if the price increase is actually worth it. I had access to an E0 station at home, but after a few tanks I realized it didn't make any noticeable increase in my fuel economy and just cost a lot more!

EDIT: I stand corrected. Here is a table of Pure gasoline equivalents.

E10 is 98.1% the energy content of E0 gasoline.
E85 is 71.9% the energy content of E0 gasoline.
Summer blend gas is 100.4% of E0 gasoline.
Winter blend gas is 98.7% of E0 gasoline.

E0 is pure base gasoline used as the baseline for comparison.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I definetly realize im approaching my maximum potential for fuel efficency. I just remember seeing higher mpg's when the temp was in the 80's. Also yes the 91 ocatane fuel that Id like to test out is E0 100% pure gas. I read somewhere a gm guy saying at 90-100 degree temps the cruze did preform better with 91 fuel. My daily route is 375 miles total and im averaging about 52 mpg a day which is just about my max I think. If you check my fuelly youll notice that on days when the temps are cold and windy with rain im getting high 40's and on days its sunny and warm with temps in the 80's im getting low 50's. Just thought id upload that pic to encourage everyone to do what they can to drive efficiently cause this car has a huge potential for fuel economy. I would like to add one tip on how i achieve such high mpg's and that is keep your cars clean both inside and out everyone knows they run better when they are clean.

·
Administrator
15,849 Posts
You will certainly get better FE in higher temperatures. This is partially a result of the thinner air that will allow the car to experience less drag. You're lucky you can find E0 100% pure gas out there. The closest pure gas station I can find is over 300 miles away, lol.

As temperatures go up, higher octane will be necessary. Do you have an Android phone with Torque and a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter?

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pure gas has the same octane content as 10% ethanol gas, so it's technically not a higher octane.

Very curious to see what you calculate at the pump. The DIC is typically 5-10% too optimistic.
I use no ethanol 87 thinkin about tryin no ethanol 91 this week. Should I use up the entire tank of 87 before I switch or does it matter if I mix the octanes for the 1st tank. Also im glad you asked about the DIC cause in my opinion its very accurate what throws off the DIC is the pump and tank. I guarantee you if there was a safe wayto fill up the tank until just a little gas came out of the filler neck and then you drive 250 miles or whatever and saw that your DIC said it used 5 gallons or whatever and you averaged 50mpg I guarantee you that you would put in exactly 5 gallons until just a little gas came out of the filler neck. If you ask me that DIC is right on.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will certainly get better FE in higher temperatures. This is partially a result of the thinner air that will allow the car to experience less drag. You're lucky you can find E0 100% pure gas out there. The closest pure gas station I can find is over 300 miles away, lol.

As temperatures go up, higher octane will be necessary. Do you have an Android phone with Torque and a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter?

I dont have a smartphone but I will be getting one and those two apps this summer.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I definetly realize im approaching my maximum potential for fuel efficency. I just remember seeing higher mpg's when the temp was in the 80's. Also yes the 91 ocatane fuel that Id like to test out is E0 100% pure gas. I read somewhere a gm guy saying at 90-100 degree temps the cruze did preform better with 91 fuel. My daily route is 375 miles total and im averaging about 52 mpg a day which is just about my max I think. If you check my fuelly youll notice that on days when the temps are cold and windy with rain im getting high 40's and on days its sunny and warm with temps in the 80's im getting low 50's. Just thought id upload that pic to encourage everyone to do what they can to drive efficiently cause this car has a huge potential for fuel economy. I would like to add one tip on how i achieve such high mpg's and that is keep your cars clean both inside and out everyone knows they run better when they are clean.
I find on mine that when the morning commute temps. are in the 50's and the afternoons in the 70's, the MPG makes a nice jump up. In my area, March was warmer than April, and the actual results: March- avg. MPG-45.3 April- avg. MPG 44.3
From what I see so far in May, I'm expecting at least 46 MPG, I'll be posting monthly results the first week in June.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I see your fuelly also went up 1mpg! Well done! You've officially beat the Prius in its own game.
Yes I updated it just now. Today the DIC was displaying 57.7 my pump clicked off at 6.7 which came out to 54.9 actual. That put my fuelly average over the past month just at 50mpg.
Im doin what a prius is doing with 2 engines 1 of which is eletric !! **** cheaters. Its to bad GM wouldnt put this cruze eco engine and transmission into a smart car. The thing would get like 80mpg since smart cars weight nothing but GM wouldnt do this claiming americans want big safe cars meanwhile they are in bed with oil companys.

I am not tryin to brag by any means im simply saying hey look at these insane numbers this car is puting up in ideal conditions. The cruze has gone above and beyond all my expectations and in fact when i take it into the dealership and tell the employees what this car is doing for me they are just blown away.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Well done.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
did either of you consider getting a cold air intake for the summer? I heard that increases FE quite a bit (in some cars)
Higher intake temperatures promote more efficient fuel burn.

Lower intake temps allow higher power levels.

These items are in "general" for stock vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Holy crap! Thats amazing mpg! Best I've ever achieved was 48! One question though. What happens when you mix fuels. Like say you mix 93 with 87 do you end up with a midgrade 91 and how does that affect mileage?

Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
718 Posts
Im doin what a prius is doing with 2 engines 1 of which is eletric !! **** cheaters. Its to bad GM wouldnt put this cruze eco engine and transmission into a smart car. The thing would get like 80mpg since smart cars weight nothing but GM wouldnt do this claiming americans want big safe cars meanwhile they are in bed with oil companys.
The comment about GM being in bed with oil companies is quite absurd. Every time gas goes up, GM's biggest profit makers SUV and trucks see sales go down.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The comment about GM being in bed with oil companies is quite absurd. Every time gas goes up, GM's biggest profit makers SUV and trucks see sales go down.
if they weren't, why wouldn't the actually produce MORE vehicles that get ridiculous mileage? why not put a 2.0ish motor in a midsize, put a lil turbo on it, and get better mileage than the current 3900 motors with better power? why not do what they can to cut drag? they drop the eco .5" and it drops drag coefficient from .31 to .28 if i remember right...why not drop it an inch or more total? or give people the option to have a little more drop from the factory, esp when they live in FLAT areas. trust me, they COULD produce a cruze that would get a stickered 50 mpg if they wanted...but they dont. they do as little as they have to to keep up with competition and to keep the feds happy. that is it.

on that note, my DIC showed 56.5 mpg for the trip home from the beach yesterday. again, the east coast gets hilly as crap once you leave the lowcountry, plus augusta is 135 ft above sea level, and obviously the beach is at sea level. all my friends that have seen those numbers have been in awe.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Holy crap! Thats amazing mpg! Best I've ever achieved was 48! One question though. What happens when you mix fuels. Like say you mix 93 with 87 do you end up with a midgrade 91 and how does that affect mileage?
Mixing 87 and 91 is how most gas stations get 89.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.