Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
65 degrees is almost ideal lab conditions, so don't expect higher MPG than that from temperature. As for octane, unless your premium is also E0 you won't do better than what your doing! Speaking of E0, E10 still gets 96.5% of the fuel economy E0 gets, so it's much less of a difference than people think!!! Something to think about when calculating if the price increase is actually worth it. I had access to an E0 station at home, but after a few tanks I realized it didn't make any noticeable increase in my fuel economy and just cost a lot more!

EDIT: I stand corrected. Here is a table of Pure gasoline equivalents.

E10 is 98.1% the energy content of E0 gasoline.
E85 is 71.9% the energy content of E0 gasoline.
Summer blend gas is 100.4% of E0 gasoline.
Winter blend gas is 98.7% of E0 gasoline.

E0 is pure base gasoline used as the baseline for comparison.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
if they weren't, why wouldn't the actually produce MORE vehicles that get ridiculous mileage? why not put a 2.0ish motor in a midsize, put a lil turbo on it, and get better mileage than the current 3900 motors with better power? why not do what they can to cut drag? they drop the eco .5" and it drops drag coefficient from .31 to .28 if i remember right...why not drop it an inch or more total? or give people the option to have a little more drop from the factory, esp when they live in FLAT areas. trust me, they COULD produce a cruze that would get a stickered 50 mpg if they wanted...but they dont. they do as little as they have to to keep up with competition and to keep the feds happy. that is it.
What??? No. Clearly you forget things like the cost, emission requirements, safety standards that go have to be considered. Yeah, they probably COULD engineer a midsize car to get 50 MPG but at the cost of a whole bunch of these other things that must be considered. If the car doesn't have great crash test results guess what people won't buy it regardless of the fuel economy. If it doesn't meet our rather stringent emissions requirements it won't be on the lots in the first place.

The suspension drop does not drop drag noticeably. The RS Cruzes receive the same suspension drop of the Eco and don't have a 0.29 CD. The 10% drag reduction is the grille shutter feature that makes the front of the car act more like the nose of a plane than the honeycomb grille of a conventional car. There are also underbody panels as well. The smoother the exterior silouette, the better the aerodynamics. If they dropped the suspension an inch like you suggest, it would never sell in the north. People have to be able to drive to work in a couple inches of snow...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.