Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
The 78mpg @ 56 mph, was this downhill ?

I know several spots where you have a 50~ mile down hill grade, like leaving Salt Lake or south from Las Vegas.

The best I've gotten for 125 miles was a DIC "indicated" 61.8 mpg on rolling terrain at 41 mph

Sounds like you got a "good one" :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Im doin what a prius is doing with 2 engines 1 of which is eletric !! **** cheaters.
All propulsion on the (non-plugin) Prius ultimately comes from one source, gasoline. Prius is no more a "cheater" than GM is w/their Two-Mode hybrids, the Volt, 1st gen BAS hybrids, 2nd gen BAS hybrids (labeled eAssist) and hybrid buses.

There were some whacky Japanese hypermilers trying to set a highway cruising record. From 1000 mile tank highway challenge by Japanese hybrid drivers - Page 2 - PriusChat Forums
The driving distance was 1677km(1042mile) and the FE was 34.5km/L(81.2mpg) with 22% fuel remained.
The driver ran out of time (or patience) but not out of gas.

There's also Hybrid drivers complete run for mileage mark (~110 mpg, at pretty low speeds) but this has been broken.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
The company I drive for doesnt allow me to discuss much about my route for security purposes. That particular stretch is here in south central Idaho and its probably one of the longest straightest flattest highways in the state and i believe that afternoon i had some solid wind pushing from behind. Anyways Ive been driving on average 375 miles 5 days a week and averaging around 52 to 53 mpg on a daily basis for the past couple weeks now on my daily route which is described a little bit more in detail in this thread. http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-fuel-economy/5762-i-average-49mpg-everyday.html

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Speaking of the prius i just read in the news the other week about a women sueing and winning a lawsuit against toyota because her prius wasnt getting like 50mpg or something like that i really dont have alot of information about that news article but im sure its on the net somewhere if you were intersted to read it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Speaking of the prius i just read in the news the other week about a women sueing and winning a lawsuit against toyota because her prius wasnt getting like 50mpg or something like that i really dont have alot of information about that news article but im sure its on the net somewhere if you were intersted to read it.
You're probably talking about Honda wins appeal in Civic Hybrid fuel mileage case. It has nothing to do w/Toyota. Case is closed now.

EPA mileage ratings are not promises. I've also reminded folks several times of http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-f...uth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates.html.

Side note: There was http://green.autoblog.com/2011/01/04/wayne-gerdes-after-2-269-miles-and-59-mpg-hyundai-sonata-hybri/. He made across the US in <2 tanks of gas. But then again, he's the famed hypermiler.

·
Banned
158 Posts
The closest pure gas station I can find is over 300 miles away, lol.
Agree with you that the ethanol industry & gov't conspired to keep pure gasoline away from most citizens of the U.S. & Canada. However, Peru, Illinois has 87 octane gasoline, about 100 miles from Chicago. If you live many miles to the southwest of Chicago's center, you CAN get pure gasoline with great effort. Try to test 100% ethanol-free gasoline to see what economy & pleasure the gov't has taken away from you. Our 3 cars' mpg increased 8%, 7-8%, & 6%. All engines are smoother, quieter, & need less downshifting to ascend hills.

·
Banned
158 Posts
EDIT: I stand corrected. Here is a table of Pure gasoline equivalents.

E10 is 98.1% the energy content of E0 gasoline.
Of course, ErikBEggs only compares btu quantities & parrots the ethanol industry's claims. Totally missing from his say & the ethanol industry's say, is that ethanol needs very high compression engines to gain efficiency, which gasoline engines do NOT have. With accurate records & a switch to 100% pure gasoline, our 3 cars' mpg increased 8%, 7-8%, & 6%. All engines are smoother, quieter, & need less downshifting to ascend hills.

Use 100% gasoline in engines designed to burn 100% gasoline. Use 100% ethanol in engines designed to burn 100% ethanol.

·
Registered
178 Posts
if they weren't, why wouldn't the actually produce MORE vehicles that get ridiculous mileage? why not put a 2.0ish motor in a midsize, put a lil turbo on it, and get better mileage than the current 3900 motors with better power? why not do what they can to cut drag? they drop the eco .5" and it drops drag coefficient from .31 to .28 if i remember right...why not drop it an inch or more total? or give people the option to have a little more drop from the factory, esp when they live in FLAT areas. trust me, they COULD produce a cruze that would get a stickered 50 mpg if they wanted...but they dont. they do as little as they have to to keep up with competition and to keep the feds happy. that is it.

on that note, my DIC showed 56.5 mpg for the trip home from the beach yesterday. again, the east coast gets hilly as crap once you leave the lowcountry, plus augusta is 135 ft above sea level, and obviously the beach is at sea level. all my friends that have seen those numbers have been in awe.
They produce what people want to buy. It's Economics 101.....and Marketing 101. It's really simple to understand.

Everything people don't understand is a conspiracy. So funny.

I'm not going to post a dissertation on basic business but if you want to have a conversation about it, feel free to PM me your phone number and I can call you and help you learn.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
if they weren't, why wouldn't the actually produce MORE vehicles that get ridiculous mileage? why not put a 2.0ish motor in a midsize, put a lil turbo on it, and get better mileage than the current 3900 motors with better power? why not do what they can to cut drag? they drop the eco .5" and it drops drag coefficient from .31 to .28 if i remember right...why not drop it an inch or more total? or give people the option to have a little more drop from the factory, esp when they live in FLAT areas. trust me, they COULD produce a cruze that would get a stickered 50 mpg if they wanted...but they dont. they do as little as they have to to keep up with competition and to keep the feds happy. that is it.
What??? No. Clearly you forget things like the cost, emission requirements, safety standards that go have to be considered. Yeah, they probably COULD engineer a midsize car to get 50 MPG but at the cost of a whole bunch of these other things that must be considered. If the car doesn't have great crash test results guess what people won't buy it regardless of the fuel economy. If it doesn't meet our rather stringent emissions requirements it won't be on the lots in the first place.

The suspension drop does not drop drag noticeably. The RS Cruzes receive the same suspension drop of the Eco and don't have a 0.29 CD. The 10% drag reduction is the grille shutter feature that makes the front of the car act more like the nose of a plane than the honeycomb grille of a conventional car. There are also underbody panels as well. The smoother the exterior silouette, the better the aerodynamics. If they dropped the suspension an inch like you suggest, it would never sell in the north. People have to be able to drive to work in a couple inches of snow...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.