Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
I curious about average speed, as well as max speed.

If they drove 10 hours a day, average is around ~43mph. At 12 miles a day is about ~37mph.

They definitely didn't set any land speed records. Looking at their route they really planned it out. Opting for some more driving to touch states over cutting though elevation.

I am also curious if the made any modifications. I know it says stock but I would be curious to know if they used pizza pans on rims, removed the windshield wipers and possible a ECO switch.

I am sure they used acceleration and ECO combinations as that does improve mileage, especially when traveling down hills.

Overall very impressive.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...3-to-5 mph below the posted speed limit.

·
Registered
665 Posts
...3-to-5 mph below the posted speed limit.
I read that and it really doesn't mean anything. Says nothing about the roads they chose, or the speeds on those roads. In Michigan the speed limit is a range on freeways between 55 - 70 posted, so what would that translate to?

I like how they don't really give any information on how they do it. I would guess because they make money off teaching seminars on how to do it. They also are sponsored by Shell and used only Shell gas on this trip. Planned right, they probably only used E0 fuel as well, so that would help.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...They also are sponsored by Shell and used only Shell gas on this trip. Planned right, they probably only used E0 fuel as well, so that would help.
...follow their route (on the map) and maybe it'll disclose where all the Shell stations are that have/sell E0 fuel? Or, maybe they just simply used 91-93 octane which usually is E0?!?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Can one of the moderators merge the responses from this thread into mine? Mine was first and has a more descriptive title anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
I read that and it really doesn't mean anything. Says nothing about the roads they chose, or the speeds on those roads. In Michigan the speed limit is a range on freeways between 55 - 70 posted, so what would that translate to?
...just because the speed limit sign says 55MPH or 70MPH does not mean you *have* to drive 55MPH or 70MPH; you can drive slower than the speed limit sign. Although, it must also be stated that there are places where "minimum" speed limits apply.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I'd believe that figure, considering mine got 63 mpg over a 13 mile highway segment earlier today.

·
Registered
665 Posts
...follow their route (on the map) and maybe it'll disclose where all the Shell stations are that have/sell E0 fuel? Or, maybe they just simply used 91-93 octane which usually is E0?!?
In Michigan, no gas is E0, not even for ATV anymore. It really sucks. They did touch Michigan, but based on their mileage they would never need to fuel there. There are a couple other states like this as well.

As to the speed limit, I said range because in Michigan 55 is the min, 70 is the max. Unbeknownst to a lot of people there are some states with a un-posted 45 mph minimal speed limit on freeways.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...up in Phoenix (AZ capital) almost all of the intra-city freeways have a posted minimum of 40 or 45 mph, especially the "sunken" freeways (ie: 'concrete canyons') where there are no safety lanes or pull off areas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts