Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do ride like a granny, most of the time,
65-75MPH on the freeway max, very little city traffic, and I've only taken it out once above 110MPH (just for testing)

Is it normal for me to not have ever done an alignment?
When they swapped out the tires, they didn't do an alignment either.
They measured it, and aside from the front being a few points of a degree off, they said all was well.
Tire wear is minimal, but even on the tires (a tad more wear on the outside than on the inside, but we're talking about less than 1mm).

The rear right was swapped around 40k miles due to punctures, and the front 2 tires were swapped at 55k miles due to wear.
The rear left is still a stocker with 66k miles on.
It's hot South Florida where I live, so I may get less miles out of my tires compared to up north.

I assume the rears will never need an alignment, ever, the way things are going...

On my Chrysler PT Cruiser, I needed an alignment almost every year!

Anyone else with the same experience?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Correction, i thought this was posted in the impala forums. On the wife’s Cruze with 50-60k miles it received one last year because the dealer said it needed it. It was already in for other warranty work so we had them do it. I don’t think really needed the alignment, but since I’m not the daily driver we just had them perform the work to be safe.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Preventive alignments maintanance is once a year. Think, potholes and bumps and what not. Tire rotation is recommended at 5k miles. Don't remember what the owners manual states.

The second dealer i took my car to, to have the battery warrenteed. Ran it over a brake test machine that also shows the alignment. My tires are toed out. Just barely beyond spec. @2500 miles. If i wanted to, i could adjust my tires in 1/8th of a turn. To bring within spec.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I purchased new tires at discount tire and took the cruze to the dealership for and alignment and an oil change. I told the service rep that I had just purchased new tires and wanted and alignment, 1 second later he replied "you don't need it" 2 seconds later lol I replied "Usually they recommend getting an alignment when getting new tires" he replied "well that's old advice, now a days the car should be fine, just get the oil change" so I said Fine and just got an oil change lol

Should I have gone ahead and done it? the cruze is at 50k by the way when the tires were put on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I owned my last '99' Mazda 626 eighteen years and… never… 'needed' a wheel alignment. The car before that was a '87' Mazda 626 turbo that I owned for twelve years and… never... 'needed' a wheel alignment. Two other cars before them, a Buick Rivera and a Subaru... never… 'needed' a wheel alignment. All vehicles exceeded 150,000 miles. My very first car owned, a '72' Chevy Malibu, I was conned into… needing… two wheel alignments five years apart. Because I was younger then I was convinced I… needed… a wheel alignment.

The only tire maintenance I do… religiously... is to maintain proper tire inflation and rotate every 7500 miles, which also means I inspect my tires at those times for any problems.

Some wait to squeeze out every last mile out of their tires, to the point of them being almost bald. I always replace them at a maximum of 80% from recommend time… meaning the bar is then showing.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Agree with previous post. No need for an alignment unless you have unusual wear on tires, which could also be the tires and not the alignment. I've owned over 30 vehicles since I started driving some 32 years ago, and have only had one alignment done on one of those vehicles. It did not need it either, come to find out it was a broken belt in a tire that was causing the car to pull to the right. Just a way to get more money out of someone's pocket that does not know any better. Oh, and I've put well over 100k on some of these vehicles also, one of them right at 200k, and it never was touched.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2014 has 58k now. When I replaced all 4 tires in the fall they checked the alignment, and it was out of spec, so I had them do it. I've had it with other vehicles from time to time. My other vehicle now has over 100k and hasn't needed one yet. If the tire shop checked it and reported that you didn't need one, I don't see any reason to not believe them. If they tell you it needs one, they should have the data to show you what's out and by how much.

The Cruze should not ever need a rear alignment, since it isn't independent rear suspension.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I would not bother with an alignment unless there is uneven tire wear on one tire edge or the other, or the car is not tracking strait down the road.

I hit a bad bump in my Cruze 2 years ago at about 20k miles and a few months later my right front tire was wearing bad on the inside edge. Took it in for an alignment and it was needed. No issues with tire wear since, I am now at 66k miles.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
At 106k miles and no alignment. On second set of tires. First set last 88k miles. No pull or bad wear on tires.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Also, an alignment should be done if any front suspension or steering components are changed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts