Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never felt my car pull like it did going to work today. I filled up with 93oct citgo, it was 73 deg and overcast it rained heavy the night before. It felt like it was an extra 30hp or more no joke.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure I could tell you myself, but if you find out the source, I'd love to know. I've got a '12 ECO 6M that drives like it has an elephant on its back when warmed up. Only time it feels potent is with the A/C off, and the engine temp is below 125F. Anything above that temp and it bogs bad. (For those who might ask, no mods, 87 octane, .025 gap - yes I've tried regapping, but it killed fuel economy and low end power).

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,601 Posts
(For those who might ask, no mods, 87 octane, .025 gap - yes I've tried regapping, but it killed fuel economy and low end power).
Run 89-93 octane and regap those plugs!

The 1.4T runs great on 87 in winter months, but it knocks like crazy on it in heat, and that's neutering your power.

·
17,601 Posts
My car runs great at 60-75 outside. Anything above that, power goes downhill with humidity and heat - enemies of forced induction motors.

Interestingly enough, it also responds differently to the AC being on between mid-day @ 85 deg with bright sunlight and evenings at the same temperature. In city driving, I can't tell if that's the engine struggling against the heat or the AC compressor working harder. Could be both.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I 19,954 miles on it I dont understand I have never had a car act like this before. I am gonna check to see if the gas station is ethanol free.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I have noticed the same thing. I posted another thread about it.

The temps and humidity fluctuate a lot here in SF as the coastal fog rolls in and out.

When the fog rolls out, the temps go up into the 70s+ with a nice coastal breeze. The humidity drops, and my Cruze pulls like crazy. I only need to push the pedal down about an inch and it launches forward and pushes me back into the seat.

When the fog rolls in, the temps drop slightly, but the humidity goes up, and my Cruze seems to have less pull. It's still pretty good, but it doesn't launch forward as much when the turbo kicks in.

The first few days after I bought the car there was no fog and low humidity. It actually took a little time to get used to the launch effect. Then about a week later the fog rolled in and it seemed like it didn't have as much pull anymore. I didn't consider the weather, and I actually thought there might be something wrong with the car. I was a little worried that maybe I hadn't broken it in properly.

Maybe I should start logging temp, humidity and turbo pull to see what is ideal.

·
17,601 Posts
I have noticed the same thing. I posted another thread about it.

The temps and humidity fluctuate a lot here in SF as the coastal fog rolls in and out.

When the fog rolls out, the temps go up into the 70s+ with a nice coastal breeze. The humidity drops, and my Cruze pulls like crazy. I only need to push the pedal down about an inch and it launches forward and pushes me back into the seat.

When the fog rolls in, the temps drop slightly, but the humidity goes up, and my Cruze seems to have less pull. It's still pretty good, but it doesn't launch forward as much when the turbo kicks in.

The first few days after I bought the car there was no fog and low humidity. It actually took a little time to get used to the launch effect. Then about a week later the fog rolled in and it seemed like it didn't have as much pull anymore. I didn't consider the weather, and I actually thought there might be something wrong with the car. I was a little worried that maybe I hadn't broken it in properly.

Maybe I should start logging temp, humidity and turbo pull to see what is ideal.
High levels of humidity reduce the amount of oxygen in the air.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Maybe it is just a little engine in a fairly heavy car being really affected by the conditions? The diesel isn't obviously affected by the weather most likely because you rarely use full power because of the amount of torque the engine has, and it is also a bit bigger as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts