Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 gen 2 Cruze. Hatchback, 6 speed diesel RS.

The car has been misfiring and hesitating intermittently 3 out of 5 times you start it. It does so when you first start the car and go to take off. It lasts for 2 mins. I have a stack of paperwork from the previous dealership that states the tech is indeed able to replicate the issue but unable to diagnose because the check engine light doesn’t come on.

It’s been blamed on everything from bad fuel, “oh it’s a diesel that’s normal”, a fuel filter with 50% life left, and with less than 1000 miles left on my warranty, miraculously after a month of being at the dealership and being escalated to GM corporate, the dealership was “unable to replicate” the concern. Which isn’t surprising, what incentive does that dealership have to scramble to help me in warranty?

I got the car back, drove off the lot predictably misfiring and hesitating for the first minute and bought the extended coverage to cover my a$$.

It’s back at a different dealership that’s much larger and has a large presence of duramax trucks outside. Keeping my fingers crossed. On the drive up, crossed over the 36,000 mile mark and the CEL came right on (almost like it’s programmed to do so just when your warranty runs out) for P11DB something about my NOx sensor.

Mods unless this is forbidden, I want to explicitly warn people to avoid Schumaker Chevrolet in Boonton NJ. You won’t get a loaner car (they said it costs them too much money to loan out), they won’t refill your washer fluid even if your cars been there sitting for a month, and don’t bother wiping down greasy finger prints from techs. They will string you along until you’re out of warranty and no longer a drain to their financial interests.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the car back from the dealer 4 days later. Different dealership. I was told I got “bad fuel” yet the paperwork says the fuel was tested and checks out.

Anything to get me out the door. They threw in some fuel injector cleaner and performed the recall for me

On the way to the dealership, I got a CEL throwing P11DB for a nox sensor. The paperwork states the nox sensor code was cleared by doing the recall

I called GM and got the run around all week from them. I was actually hung up on by one of the advisors, he kept asking me over and over “what else I would like to complain about” and then when I repeated myself he said ok great, goodbye. No faith in GM... I filed a complaint. On Monday I was told someone would contact me in 1-2 business days and I’m still waiting. I’ve been calling them and found out my case was shuffled around to three different people (probably due to the extensive nature of the notes) and every time it gets reshuffled, you tack on an additional 1-2 days until they reach out. Unbelievable. I’m seeking the lemon law route and I’ll update as I go

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Plugged/dirty EGR valve? Have been a few with hesitation and no start problems related to that.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,377 Posts
Plugged/dirty EGR valve? Have been a few with hesitation and no start problems related to that.
Given diesels really can't "misfire", unless the injector simply stops working, I am leaning towards EGR as well. Ours is getting due for a cleaning.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Given diesels really can't "misfire", unless the injector simply stops working, I am leaning towards EGR as well. Ours is getting due for a cleaning.
I initially thought I had an injector that was going bad.

I searched to no avail, how could one clean their EGR? I have a degree of comfort working on vehicles- I’ve shoehorned an ‘85 Mercedes 300D Diesel into my Jeep Wrangler but never worked on anything much newer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
The EGR valve itself is removable, and you can clean it.

Not sure if the pics still work:

Reactions: Carminooch

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm sorry but not getting a code is ridiculous. Most of the technicians nowadays can't think for themselves, they need a computer to give them a clue as to what the problem is. My car shared the same exact symptoms as yours, and I never got a code. The second trip to the dealer allegedly produced a code, but not by me. It turned out to be a bad injector in cylinder 3. The car runs perfect now, no more tapping/ticking sound, no more stumbling, or misfiring. You got to find a better mechanic/dealer and ask them to test the injectors, how hard can that be for them?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry but not getting a code is ridiculous. Most of the technicians nowadays can't think for themselves, they need a computer to give them a clue as to what the problem is. My car shared the same exact symptoms as yours, and I never got a code. The second trip to the dealer allegedly produced a code, but not by me. It turned out to be a bad injector in cylinder 3. The car runs perfect now, no more tapping/ticking sound, no more stumbling, or misfiring. You got to find a better mechanic/dealer and ask them to test the injectors, how hard can that be for them?
I’ve been to two different dealers already and for both, I called GM corporate and raised a concern and escalated it. I’m not sure what to do or where to go.

I talked to the tech at this new dealership that had all sorts of duramax trucks and stuff in the lot and he goes “oh wow a diesel Cruze, I ain’t never worked on one of these things”. Come on.

GM is calling me back on Monday (that’s what they allege) and I told them to either prepare for legal action or find a technician or engineer to send to a local dealership, or provide direct guidance to the dealership, to fix my car. We’ll see

Problem is I can’t find anyone around here who knows this car or who has worked on one

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The EGR valve itself is removable, and you can clean it.

Not sure if the pics still work:

I saw a lot of helpful info for the Gen1 but not the Gen2, none the less it must be a similar procedure so thanks for passing that info along. I’ll dive in deeper

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
Duh, I'm a dummie, forgot yours was a second gen. But yes, I think you are likely correct that it should be similar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts