Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

800+ Mile ECO MT Tank Range

58386 Views 220 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  2013LT
I filled up today and seriously topped off the tank, I have been running about 51 MPG for the last 2+ tanks of gas so I decided to see if I can get to 800 miles. I had put 243 miles on the tank and the range estimate was 397 miles for an estimated range of 640 miles.

First Click: 3.828 Gallons => 63.5 MPG
DIC: 4.6 Gallons => 52.8 MPG

When I finished filling the tank I had put 9.794 gallons for 24.8 MPG. The car say I have 650 miles to empty, but I know this is wrong simply because the tank is so full the fuel level sender is pressed against the top of the tank. If everything goes well I won't have an accurate range estimate for 200 miles.

My wife says if I run out of gas she's not coming to pick me up. :)
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
938 Posts
800 miles that's crazy. Do you have the fuel tank mod so that you can fill up with more gas? My Scangauge always tells me I can go ~ 200kms further than what the DIC tells me. DIC is always conservative.

Good luck!

· Premium Member
938 Posts
Wait.. I've been reading through this. How much fuel does my ECO MT have including the filler pipe and all the necessary jazz.

· Premium Member
938 Posts
Crazy :) I was supposed to try and fill up to 14 gallons the other day but I never did. I was getting strange looks from people because the pump kept clicking off haha

· Premium Member
938 Posts
I've found my range and my gauge drop pretty fast after I get to a quarter tank. You should be ok you have a pretty good buffer though.

· Premium Member
938 Posts
Ober what I plan to try and do get a manual calculation of MPG even though I'm going over the first click is this. Record the amount of fuel pumped at the first click, then continue pumping until I deem it's enough. Then, at the next fillup record the amount of fuel pumped at the first click, and add the difference of the last fillup and use that amount for an MPG calculation. Then continue filling until I deem it's enough again. Rinse and repeat.. It should be just as accurate as the first click method. Let me know if you think it will work.

· Premium Member
938 Posts
Because it's not the tank size that's the contributing factor. It's the pump assembly shutting the fill down prematurely so GM can say the car weighs 15 pounds less due to this. If you fill very slowly and remove the nozzle out of the fill tube ever so slightly and the pump achieves trickle fill you can get 16 gallons in there. I know, I did it last time, I'm at around 120 miles on the tank and the needle hasnt even budged. It's predicting 530 miles to empty and my DIC only says 45 MPG (Thanks wife). I should be able to hit 700 miles as my MPG is going to be encroaching 50 before the tank is empty :)

The ECO MT has the same tank as every, other, cruze :)

· Premium Member
938 Posts
Trickle fill, it will ruin your MPG calculations. I basically trickle filled until it ran out of the fill hole lol. That's probably 16.1 or 16.2 gallons. It is time consuming too, might take five or more minutes. Also some will say it may damage your evap system over time.

· Premium Member
938 Posts
I called my wife Scorpion and Devil woman for about a year after I watched it lol. Anyway, sorry to send this careening off topic.

· Premium Member
938 Posts
Yea I think the click is at around 12.0 or 11.9 gallons ;) So you can actually squeeze 4 more gallons in after the first click, which is the trick to 700 or 800 mile + tanks (along with getting crazy good fuel economy)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.