Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
201 - 220 of 221 Posts

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
It ruins your mpg calculations for the tank you just completed and the tank you're about to run because the bottom of the fraction gets a lot larger relative to normal. For instance my average since mid July has been 48.8 MPG. The tank before I started my 814 mile run came in at 24.8 MPG and the fill up afterwards came in at 69.9 MPG (first click was 73.3 MPG). The fuel range is computed by taking a rolling average of some unknown miles (I'm now thinking 50 miles) times the amount of fuel left in the tank. The fuel level sensor floats on a rail and when it hits the top of the rail it can't register anymore. In the ECO MT the top of the rail is hit right around 12 gallons, so any fuel you put in above 12 gallons won't "increase" the range calculation because the sensor simply can't report it. What you will see is your range fluctuating based on the rolling average mpg as you drive until the fuel level drops to a point the sensor is floating again. My range fluctuated from 655 to 685 miles for almost 250 miles - remember I was running 52.5-53.5 mpg that entire time. This is also the reason the car can't report range for less than about 0.8 gallons - the sensor is "sitting" on the bottom of the rail.

I'm convinced that the evap systems can handle this as long as you don't make a habit of filling into the fill pipe and thus flowing gas back into the evap system via it's vent. The evap system's vent is near the top of the fill pipe. Damage to this system occurs when the charcoal filters get clogged with the additives and detergents that are added to the gasoline. These additives are needed to keep the fuel burn clean but they won't evaporate back out of the charcoal.

·
10,712 Posts
This pump was a foam pump, took me longer than it normally does. I could have gone more but figured I was good enough in the almost full range and next rounded dollar. I also have the nozzle against the right wall so it can see it trickle down and be bonded at the same time.

3 fingers when the person on the other side is clicking away at vapor recovery shut off.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1378475124.071099.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Haha yea from one of my favorite movies. Hopefully the second one will be just as good :)

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I called my wife Scorpion and Devil woman for about a year after I watched it lol. Anyway, sorry to send this careening off topic.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
So the gas tank in the cruze eco are a 15.6 gallon tank but their design for the fuel pump to shut off at 12 .6 gallons?. The strange thing is when I go to fill up my tank in my eco the tank only shows 11 gallons in it and I let it go and tell it shut off at the pump. I'm not sure why that is but that's what my Dic says and my on star mobile app.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Yea I think the click is at around 12.0 or 11.9 gallons ;) So you can actually squeeze 4 more gallons in after the first click, which is the trick to 700 or 800 mile + tanks (along with getting crazy good fuel economy)

Reactions: obermd

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Yea I think the click is at around 12.0 or 11.9 gallons ;) So you can actually squeeze 4 more gallons in after the first click, which is the trick to 700 or 800 mile + tanks (along with getting crazy good fuel economy)
So the key here is to be very careful and do it very slowly?

·
10,712 Posts

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
On the few occasions I have filled well past the first click I kept the nozzle an inch and a half or so inside the fill pipe hole to avoid splash back.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
To prevent it from clicking off. Do you guys slow fill the whole tank or just after the first click

·
10,712 Posts
To prevent it from clicking off. Do you guys slow fill the whole tank or just after the first click
If we were to use the notches to lock the trigger in place while you go sit back in the car or clean the windows as a reference, I fill just below that speed normally. Full on depending on how fast the pump is will cause a tank full of foam and premature clicks. Good for a glass of beer but not so when you are now not as full as the needle said you was 15 mins ago down the street.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I foamed my last fill. At 130 miles the needle started to mo e. At 47mpg it should have started ae
Round 210 miles. Ohhhh well better luck next time lol

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
I don't think gasoline really "foams" much when filling. When filling a gas jug you can go wide open until it's almost full and it's not like there is a pile of foam there, maybe a very thin layer of small bubbles that all dissipate very quickly...

Maybe your local stations are using "high detergent" gasoline? :D

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Shell v power 91 octane is high detergent im sure.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Most gasoline doesn't foam up. What you get is a lot of air bubbles coming to the surface and inside a small (1 inch or so) fill pipe there's no place for these bubbles to spread out so they pile up on top of each other. They break apart quickly but not as fast as they can be generated from the incoming gas stream. For an accurate example of this fill a glass of water slowly and then fill it quickly. The water coming out of your tap has no air in it, but it picks up air through the water air interface as it leaves the faucet and the air is forced into the glass as a result. It bubbles up to the top of the glass. The amount of bubbling is directly related to the speed of the fill. The same thing happens with gasoline when you fill your tank. Some pumps make it even worse by putting small holes in the nozzle and allowing the fluid motion to suck in air before the gas even leaves the nozzle. This design was developed to "control vapor fumes" from the pumping process and is only useful on older cars with large fill pipes. Newer cars with their skinny fill pipes bubble back up quicker.

201 - 220 of 221 Posts