Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 221 Posts

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Mike your crazy.

This is awsome, 800 miles? How do you even? How fast do you drive, and how good at coasting have you gotten?
Post 7 describes my route and speeds. Since I've been driving this route for the past 15+ years I know exactly when to let off the gas as I approach intersections and stop lights, so yes, I can spend a lot of time in DFCO.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
As I complete each day I'll post updates. Once the needle starts moving I'll include pictures.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
800 will be a challenge but a lot of fun trying ..My current tank will be about 1120 kms with 100 to go according to DIC...I'll have to go 1280 kms to keep up with you ..lol

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
800 will be a challenge but a lot of fun trying ..My current tank will be about 1120 kms with 100 to go according to DIC...I'll have to go 1280 kms to keep up with you ..lol
What are you driving? The US Diesels should easily be able to hit 800 miles. It's only 11.5% over the EPA highway estimate for range. I'm looking at 20% over the EPA highway estimate.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
This is awsome, 800 miles? How do you even? How fast do you drive, and how good at coasting have you gotten?
You know, Kermit, this is a new generation of spoiled kids we're dealing with these days... it's not uphill both ways in three feet of snow like it was in the old days, now it's downhill both ways with the wind at your back. And don't forget 0.63:1 triple overdrive transmissions, and a lack of respect... :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
What's interesting is that both my Pontiac mini-vans had 500+ mile ranges also. I think I would have a problem with some of the short ranges people are reporting.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
What's interesting is that both my Pontiac mini-vans had 500+ mile ranges also. I think I would have a problem with some of the short ranges people are reporting.
Mid-90's Suburbans came with a 42-gallon tank for a 700+ mile range.

Then it cost you $120-150 to fill the thing...but yeah.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I have gotten above 600 miles on a tank once, but probably will never do that again. Not that I ran the tank super low even(still had above 2 gallons left), its just how long of a time frame that distance ends up being I would need to stop for some other reason so I might as well fill up sooner.

500miles by even 65mph average speed is almost 8 hours of driving, however my average speed is usually around 40mph so that 500 miles is 12.5hours of driving. In that 12+ hours I sure would need to stop for something and will have driven by hundreds of gas stations. 400-500miles is when I fill up now, usually that's only slightly below 1/4 tank with my 1LT.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I make stops about once a week going home and I've still managed 51 MPG. For the weekends we'll go topless in my wife's convertible.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Final report for today:

Afternoon traffic stunk. Normally I don't see this type of traffic except on Fridays and I actually bailed off the freeways.

60.2 miles on the tank
50.9 MPG (DIC) - this needs to be higher or I won't make 800.
Estimated Range: 644 miles
Estimated Tank: 704 miles
To Go: 740

This morning I had an estimated 96 mile deficit. Now it's estimated at 36 miles. As expected the gas needle hasn't moved.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Wait.. I've been reading through this. How much fuel does my ECO MT have including the filler pipe and all the necessary jazz.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Wait.. I've been reading through this. How much fuel does my ECO MT have including the filler pipe and all the necessary jazz.
~16 gallons. Somewhere near the top of the fill pipe is the tubing for the fuel evaporation control system however, so don't assume you can safely fill to the top of the fill pipe. The tank itself is 15.6 gallons. There is a shroud on the fuel fill indicator that prevents easily filling the top three gallons of the tank.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I personally don't pay much attention to the estimated range unless I'm parked on a level surface... it seems to vary when I'm parked in my inclined driveway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
When you first park it stays were it was. After you turn the car off and then restart it is when it changes. My driveway is steep enough that I've seen as much as a 0.2 MPG drop with the car sitting overnight.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Update - trip 3. I expect this to take 27 trips.

Estimated Range Left: 666 miles
Driven: 90.8 miles
Estimated Total Range: 757 miles
Range Deficit: 43 miles
MPG: 54.1

As expected, gas needle hasn't moved. Until the needle starts to move the estimated range changes by about 2 miles for every 0.1 MPG change. So far I've been adding miles on the tank and the range estimate is simply fluctuating based on my MPG number.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Trip 4 of 27

Estimated Range left: 658 miles
Driven: 119.7 miles
Estimated Total Range: 778 miles
Range Deficit: 22 miles - Monday at work I should be out of deficit and into an estimated 800+ mile tank
DIC MPG: 53.2 - This is where I need to keep it. Anything reported below 53 and the DIC's optimism will be too much to reach 800 miles.

Still no movement on the needle. Since my gas gauge appears to be calibrated for 12.6 gallons, I shouldn't see any movement until 180-200 miles on the tank. I'll hit 180 Monday afternoon.

I came off the freeway this morning and hit a stop light just as it turned red. Had to stop. I turned off the engine since I know this light is about 90 seconds from the time it turns red to the time it turns green and I can see when there are 9 seconds to green. Cars waiting to make a left onto the freeway get a green arrow at 10 seconds so I know when they start I need to restart my car. I won't do this in the afternoons because I don't want to loose the A/C. Yes, I'm running the A/C in the afternoon heat.

How fast do you drive, and how good at coasting have you gotten?
This morning I got lucky and was able to take advantage of a gravel truck. I stayed far enough back to avoid being pelted and thus was out of his slipstream and wake, but he was doing about 50 up hills and I was able to safely drive 50 MPH during the up hill portion of my drive. I needed to really pull the average MPG up because it was too low yesterday when I got home so I used the truck to do this. Normally I drive at 60 on the freeway and sit in the right lane the whole way. Coming home today I drove 55-60 depending on traffic in the right lane.

To answer the question on how good am I at coasting - very and getting better. I used my brakes today less than 10 times, and this includes stop lights, stop signs and one "cut off" by someone coming onto the freeway. I will take right and left turns in 3rd or 4th gear so I don't have to shed speed via brakes for most turns either. I don't coast in neutral so all my coasting is done via DFCO. Also, part of the what I worked on in July and the first part of August was "muscle" learning how fast my car would slow down from 2000 RPM in second through sixth gears. This has paid off. I can now let off the gas (cancel Cruze control) and coast in DFCO except for the few seconds of a downshift and line up behind the slower vehicle and traffic at two to three car lengths, all without touching the brake pedal. When doing this I only have to touch my brakes about one out of five decelerations - not as good as I was in the Montana, which was one in ten - but still very fuel efficient. I also coast to stop signs and get all the way down to 2nd gear in DFCO. I will also use DFCO in 2nd gear when going between closely spaced lights.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Well congratulations I have faith that you will do it I wish my job was about 25 miles away from my house so I could see what I could do and whats amazing this is done over 27 trips. I would only attempt this on my trip to Ohio, I will book a hotel 750 miles away from my house.

21 - 40 of 221 Posts