Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

800+ Mile ECO MT Tank Range

62K views 220 replies 23 participants last post by  2013LT 
#1 ·
I filled up today and seriously topped off the tank, I have been running about 51 MPG for the last 2+ tanks of gas so I decided to see if I can get to 800 miles. I had put 243 miles on the tank and the range estimate was 397 miles for an estimated range of 640 miles.

First Click: 3.828 Gallons => 63.5 MPG
DIC: 4.6 Gallons => 52.8 MPG

When I finished filling the tank I had put 9.794 gallons for 24.8 MPG. The car say I have 650 miles to empty, but I know this is wrong simply because the tank is so full the fuel level sender is pressed against the top of the tank. If everything goes well I won't have an accurate range estimate for 200 miles.

My wife says if I run out of gas she's not coming to pick me up. :)

#72 ·
Trip 14 of 27

Estimated Range Left: 481 miles
Driven: 415.4 miles
Estimated Total Range: 896 miles
Range buffer: 96 miles / 1.0 gallons
MPG: 53.4

Needle is a hair below 13/16th (one small line above 3/4). I'm still taking the pictures but I'll have to pull the micro-SD card out of my phone and use an micro-SD to USB adapter to get them off the phone. It has decided that it won't connect to my laptop via USB or Bluetooth.

My car teased me with a 900 mile total range all the way home today. If I can find some slow moving traffic next week I will sit behind it (55 MPG @55 MPH vs. 52 MPG @60 MPH) to see if I can get at least a 10-15 mile buffer over 900.

#74 ·
Instead of going through the headache of pulling the SD card, just download the PhotoBucket App to your phone and then you can post the images right to your PB account.

#75 ·
My phone finally started working properly again. It appears when it's trying to update applications it won't connect because I have all my apps on the SD card. That's what I get for having a waterproof, shockproof, mil-spec phone with only 512MB built in memory.

Anyway, here are this afternoons pictures.

Vehicle Speedometer Car Odometer Auto part
Speedometer Vehicle Car Odometer Auto part

#76 ·
Well, I panicked when I saw the highway I was going to finish my trip home on.. Stop and go. I knew that there should be at least 1 gallon left in the tank...Got the low fuel warning at 776 miles on the tank and thought "no sweat".. Got the low warning about 20 miles later.. Started to wonder about running out of fuel and if the stories about restarting a diesel that is out of fuel are true.. Knew there was a gas station coming up before the stop and go traffic on the 401.. Checked the mileage on the tank and said enough is enough.. Pulled in and refilled with 803 on the tank.. Filled up until the first click and it took 54 liters or about 14 gallons.. Still kickin myself for not pushing it further but I figure I'll try for more another time after it's broken in a bit more Receipt Font Ticket
Vehicle Car Odometer Auto part Speedometer

#79 ·
Well, I panicked when I saw the highway I was going to finish my trip home on.. Stop and go. I knew that there should be at least 1 gallon left in the tank...Got the low fuel warning at 776 miles on the tank and thought "no sweat".. Got the low warning about 20 miles later.. Started to wonder about running out of fuel and if the stories about restarting a diesel that is out of fuel are true.. Knew there was a gas station coming up before the stop and go traffic on the 401.. Checked the mileage on the tank and said enough is enough.. Pulled in and refilled with 803 on the tank.. Filled up until the first click and it took 54 liters or about 14 gallons.. Still kickin myself for not pushing it further but I figure I'll try for more another time after it's broken in a bit more View attachment 31546 View attachment 31554
Nicely done - Gold it is.

#81 ·
I drive from Bowmanville (just east of Oshawa) to Brampton every day.. About 105 kilometers one way. I leave the house about 5AM so traffic isn't a problem. Getting out of work at 3:30 puts me at the start of rush hour. For this 800 (1280 kilometer) tank I took the 407 three times , the other times I worked late or went golfing and missed the rush hour on the 401. I'm thinking about a trip along #7 to Ottawa and then down the 416 to Montreal and then back home aiming for a 900 mile tank next summer

#82 ·
Went to see the final stage of the USA Pro Challenge.

Estimated Range Left: 390 miles
Driven: 479.9 miles
Estimated Total Range: 870 miles
Range buffer: 70 miles / 1.4 gallons
MPG: 53.1

So much for thoughts of a 900 mile tank. 800 is still readily obtainable. I went down to Denver City Park where I could stay in the shade. These guys are moving.

Tree Plant
Car Vehicle Speedometer Gauge Auto part
Speedometer Car Auto part Vehicle Odometer

#83 ·
Estimated Range Left: 366 miles
Driven: 510.4 miles
Estimated Total Range: 876 miles
Range buffer: 76 miles / 1.5 gallons
MPG: 53.5

#85 ·
Estimated Range Left: 330 miles
Driven: 539.4 miles
Estimated Total Range: 869 miles
Range buffer: 69 miles / 1.4 gallons
MPG: 53.3

I think I'm starting to see some non-linearity in the gas gauge. 69 miles is still 9 miles outside my car's fill light.

Car Vehicle Gauge Speedometer Auto part
Car Vehicle Speedometer Gauge Auto part

#89 ·
Estimated Range Left: 308 miles
Driven: 569.9 miles
Estimated Total Range: 878 miles
Range buffer: 78 miles / 1.6 gallons
MPG: 53.7

The 150 ft elevation difference between my home and office really makes for a wide swing in the car's fuel economy. I find it interesting that my overall MPG has climbed back up almost to where it was before I went downtown on Sunday.

#91 ·
Not likely. The mornings are "downhill".

#93 ·
Estimated Range Left: 272 miles
Driven: 598.9 miles
Estimated Total Range: 871 miles
Range buffer: 71 miles / 1.4 gallons
MPG: 53.4

Today traffic was running at 55 MPH both this morning and afternoon. Looking good for 800 miles.

Speedometer Odometer Auto part Vehicle Car
Vehicle Car Speedometer Auto part Odometer

#95 ·
Estimated Range Left: 243 miles
Driven: 629.4 miles
Estimated Total Range: 872 miles
Range buffer: 72 miles / 1.4 gallons
MPG: 53.8

The DIC's optimism is starting to show. As far as I can tell the Range estimate is based solely on the position of the fuel fill float sensor and the estimated MPG. This says I have 4.5 gallons left in the tank after using 11.7 gallons. This indicates I started with 16.2 gallons in an unmodified ECO MT gas tank. I am now in the Silver HyperCruzer range for an unmodified ECO MT gas tank. This afternoon I'll hit Silver HyperCruzer for the modified ECO MT gas tank.

#97 ·
The problem with the DIC is that GM won't license the system that Chrysler uses to compute the amount of fuel burned. As a result GM estimates this value and always underestimates the fuel consumed. The gas gauge and range appear to be accurate.

#98 ·
Estimated Range Left: 199 miles
Driven: 658.4 miles
Estimated Total Range: 857 miles
Range buffer: 57 miles / 1.1 gallons
MPG: 53.5

From the location of the gas needle I would normally start looking for a gas station in the next 150 miles, which would put me in the "low fuel light" but above the "LOW FUEL" message. I'm now in the Silver HyperCruzer for the modified ECO MT gas tank. This is starting to look like it's going to be tight.

Vehicle Car Speedometer Odometer Auto part
Speedometer Vehicle Car Odometer Auto part

#99 ·
I thought it was going to easy for me for a while and then towards the bottom of the tank everything got antsy.. Knowing that your near the bottom of the tank sure gets you nervous.. It was the second LOW warning that made me stop after just getting past 800.. Hope you have a good tail wind both ways tomorrow.

#100 ·
When I got my 715 miles I was literally driving on fumes when I pulled into the gas station so I have a pretty good idea about how my car and gas gauge respond in low fuel situations. Also, all my gas capacity buffer calculations have assumed 50 MPG.

#103 ·
Gotcha. I hadn't really done the math using your numbers, only mine @ 35-36 mpg. It all adds up now.

On another note:
2 weeks after driving my Cruze off the lot, I picked up a nail in the rear left tire exactly where the tread and sidewall meet. Non-patchable. The tire tech showed me the tire and I couldn't help but notice how light and "spongy" the OEM tires are. I've been curious about tire wear/longevity.

At 45 PSI cold, have you noticed tire wear consistent with overinflation? I run mine at 32psi.

#107 ·
I was just reading that.

I know with my A/T that 800 mi is not achievable. I'm wondering about the 700 mark tough.

I've got to really get out and do some driving and research how my driving habits and how I can achieve more.

I've gapped my plugs to .035, bumped tire pressure to 45psi, and started running 93 octane. That's all I can do mechanically right now to increase my MPG (aside from removing my bug-out-bag, tools, and change of clothes from the trunk). The rest is all on me and my driving habits.

#108 · (Edited)
I think so. The EPA highway estimate for your Cruze is 39 MPG. 15.6 gallons in the 2012 ECO AT puts you 92 miles short of 700 miles. You would need to average 15% above the EPA highway number (45 MPG) as measured at the pump so you would need a combination of hypermiling techniques, good driving conditions, and some luck with traffic. Take a look at XR's sticky in the Fuel Economy forum for tips on how to improve your driving efficiency for a starting point. For more hypermiling techniques go to http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php and read through the tips there. Be forewarned that extreme hypermiling techniques can make you a rolling road hazard.

I'm lucky that I can safely drive 55 - 60 MPH on my commute. In many places even with a 65 MPH posted speed limit driving 65 is dangerously slow.

By the way, those are the same three modifications I've done to my ECO MT - 0.035" spark plug gap, 45 PSI tires, and 91 octane.

#109 ·
if i may raise something that may get me shot, our computer are a bit stupid... they have a programed max range in them. we just put a 50 gallon deisel tank in my dads truck... the DIC still shows a max rang of 620 miles.... but 50 * 20= just about 1000 miles so the range on our cars may still be off, so its up to good old math....jeez who does that any more.

#111 ·
It's not a pre-programmed limit. It's the last 100 miles (I think) average MPG as computed by the car times the amount of fuel left in the tank according to the fuel fill sensor. Since this sensor isn't a mathematical point, there is a small amount of space at the top of the tank that cannot be accurately measured because the sensor is floating pressed to the top of the sensor rail. This limits the upper range that is reported. Likewise, the shape of our fuel tank (it's the same tank for both gas an diesel Cruzen) limits the lower limit of the fuel measurement. When this occurs the DIC reads "LOW FUEL" for the estimated range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.