Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My 2013 Cruze showed engine overheating message so took it to the mechanic who found no coolant + water pump broken. Says he has to replace the water pump and it will cost about $850

The breakdown was $450 in labor (He said it'll take 3.5 hours) + $150 in parts + ?$$ for coolant flushing +$60 for diagnosis

They seem reputable but still wanted to make sure if this number sounds normal or too high? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,901 Posts
3.5 hours??? I did mine in 1 hour and I'm a weekend warrior mechanic. Tad high.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Contact your local dealer with your vin

Reactions: mxgreen

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
118 Posts
To high? Yep...possible $850 too high. GM has an special/extended warranty on water pumps. I had mine done last month. Took the car in for an oil change...service writer came out and told me about the water pump.....before I could ask "how much?" she said it was covered by a extended warranty. Free is best.

Nowadays a dealer is not always the car owners boogyman anymore.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Nowadays a dealer is not always the car owners boogyman anymore.
I wouldn't go so far in saying that. I'm sure only work they get to do is warranty claimed. I wonder what the cost would've been if it wasn't warrantied. Bet it would've been as scary as the boogyman or worse. I can't say I've had any good experience in the dealers service dept except for resetting the tpms sensors which was done in the write up lane within 5 mins. Just don't let your car go into the hidden garage of the dealer if you're out of warranty.

·
Registered
215 Posts
IMO, $850 for a 1.4 water pump is high. 1-1/2 hour job. Parts/supplies under $200 depending on brand pump used.

Reactions: Thebigzeus

·
Registered
142 Posts
Many videos out there showing you exactly how to do it. Study the vides until it's hard wired in your head and apply what you've learned. The OEM replacement (ACDELCO) is ~$100.00. I work in IT and have been doing my own repairs and saved thousands already. Just be sure to obtain the correct torque specifications for each bolt.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just paid $940 at the stealership for a water pump on my 2014 2 weeks ago with 37,000 miles on it.
There is an extended "special" warranty by GM on these water pumps. Mine (also a 2014) got done at 60+000 miles. No charge, if it's leaking. Someone here might give you the recall notice number to check out.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
CRUZE.png
Sounds like perfectly reasonable and customary pricing to me. Actually would be cheap in my area. 3.5 billable hours is the industry standard accepted price for this job. It doesn't mean it takes that long, but we can have a discussion on flat rate pricing whenever you'd like.

If that price is the job done properly with all the correct required bolts and torque procedures it's perfectly acceptable. Can it be done cheaper? Of course. Does it really take 3.5 hours? Almost definitely not. But that's not how shop pricing works or how I get paid.

Attached is a screen shot from my personal laptop, and industry accepted pricing/management software. You'll see 3.5 is the price, you'll also see that labor here was 169.95, it's actually now 174.95 as of 1/2/21.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Many videos out there showing you exactly how to do it. Study the vides until it's hard wired in your head and apply what you've learned. The OEM replacement (ACDELCO) is ~$100.00. I work in IT and have been doing my own repairs and saved thousands already. Just be sure to obtain the correct torque specifications for each bolt.
I have yet to see ONE show you how to do it properly

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have yet to see ONE show you how to do it properly
I've seen quite a few. All of them showing how to do it from beginning to end, for both the 1.8L engine, and 1.4L. The 1.4L has some extra steps in there yes, but I myself would be perfectly comfortable doing this job following the videos, knowing it would save me $700.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Which bolts are torque to yield and require replacement? According to a video.....

I never said you couldn't get the part replaced after seeing how it comes apart by watching a YouTube video. I said I've never seen one do it the PROPER way

·
Registered
142 Posts
Which bolts are torque to yield and require replacement? According to a video.....

I never said you couldn't get the part replaced after seeing how it comes apart by watching a YouTube video. I said I've never seen one do it the PROPER way

The torque specs he references match up with what I have in the service manual. However I always call the dealership to confirm as some torque specs change with each yearly iteration of the car.

·
Premium Member
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
1,311 Posts
I just paid $940 at the stealership for a water pump on my 2014 2 weeks ago with 37,000 miles on it.
Am I the only one who gets upset when people refer to dealership's as "stealerships"????? @Ma v e n

Most of them are just trying to make an honest living.

It's not their fault that the general public knows more about video games than the cars they drive. And as a result, the general public just assumes that everyone is trying to screw them over when it comes to automotive maintenance.

It's nothing to spend $1,000 on an new iPhone every 2 years, but heaven forbid spending $850 for maintenance on you car.

Reactions: Ma v e n

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Seems like a respectable video, however it's one of the least watched videos on the first page or so of results for "Cruze 1.4 water pump". He does mention replacing the mount bolts, but he inaccurately says you need to replace the 2 mount-to-body bolts, and doesn't replace the 3 that are required anyway (regardless of his excuse...its a video, he could have easily "lied" and said they were new and gave proper sepcs instead of making up his own from nowhere)and doesn't acknowledge it's required to replace the 2 bolts on the water pump ITSELF.

My assessment of YouTube mechanics and videos in general,and my critique of your view of videso on this job specifically, remains the same. Never seen a single one get it right. There's a reason there's so many Cruzes with repeat repairs, and it's not always GMs fault

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Am I the only one who gets upset when people refer to dealership's as "stealerships"????? @Ma v e n

Most of them are just trying to make an honest living.

It's not their fault that the general public knows more about video games than the cars they drive. And as a result, the general public just assumes that everyone is trying to screw them over when it comes to automotive maintenance.

It's nothing to spend $1,000 on an new iPhone every 2 years, but heaven forbid spending $850 for maintenance on you car.
Of course I do, but you know what? I sleep like a baby at night, because I know I fix my customers car properly, and I know that there's a really good chance that if I'm the guy working on your car it's because somebody else couldn't fix it. I'm typically the end of the line, I get to fix the cars the owners and other techs f#kced up. I routinely get cars where the customer says "my mechanic" or "YouTube" said XXXX job was easy....then how come it's in my bay?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts