Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruze kind of spoiled me with this, 04 Cavalier didn't have it either so purchased a two door kit. With this car, didn't follow the instruction to fool around with the BCM and mounted the receiver inside the console. Used the always hot cigar lighter for power running a pair of my own wires to each door.

Worked good for quite awhile until one of the door lock motors burnt out. Searching for a new motor, was cheaper to buy a two door complete kit rather than just the motor. Forgot I even had that box it came in but ran across it yesterday. Brand new receiver with two new remotes, batteries were still good.

Nice having a decent manual for the Supra, show all the cabling routing and connectors. Already has electric door locks, so the spot I picked was the drivers side kick panel, with just enough space left over the receiver, but no space for those large connectors. I didn't want to beep the horn, flash the parking lights, nor disable the starter circuit. Just wanted to lock and unlock the doors.

So I removed the extra relays, and the connectors. A wire was needed for the ignition switch, but only used to program the remotes. Tested it both hot wired and disconnected, standby current remained a 0.0047 amperes either way so left it hot wired. Also had long cords for a push button and an LED needed for programming, had to push that button five time to get into programming mode. I just mounted those two components inside of the case.

Needed a pulse to ground so instead of three wires, just used one good one with only four wires to connect, 12V, ground, lock, and unlock. Was a cable under that kick panel and with all color coded wires, found those, tested them first, stripped off a bit of insulation, and soldered the four receiver wires. Works beautifully.

First I had to remove the sill plate that gave me two problems after working on my Cruze for over three years now. I forgot was a sill plate looked like and a phillips screwdriver, But did remember after a while how to work a screw driver, had to remove four screws. Then the kick plate was held in with a 10 mm nut, somewhere I had to recall a socket set for that.

If my remotes go bad, would have to remove that sill plate and kicker panel. But have the same kit in the Cavalier that is still working after 12 years. So don't expect any problems.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Name on the box is a Micro DLR4, more interested in the quality, Uses a double sided PCB with plated through holes, wave soldered and coated with MFR. Think I paid something like 15 bucks for it with free shipping from ebay, but was like 8-9 years ago from a US seller.

Couldn't help but to compare this car with the Cruze, for the latter, had to buy a set of plastic pry bars from Mac Tools to work on this thing. Was nice using real tools again with no prying.

Maybe why us older guys say, they don't make them like they use to. Wish Chevy would copy their shop manual after this Toyota. Is a complex car with five computer systems in it using all PROM's, and has built in diagnostics. No need for a scanner.

Hmm a photo, here is a photo of the engine, that is not dust, but a special undercoating that came from the factory.

View attachment 151490

Radiator, condenser, evaporator, and heater core are all made out of brass. AC uses real brass fittings, not of this O-Ring crap as the entire fuel system. Is quite the job to change the spark plugs, all that top stuff has to be removed, but all screwed together, so not that bad.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha, back to the drawing board, got in my Supra to back it up, switched on the ignition switch, all the lights came on, go to start, nothing.

Got out, use the key to unlock the door, then started normally. Looked further into the circuits, have to ground a terminal on the anti-thief circuit. Can do this with the same relay by diode isolating it. If not, must add a second relay, but the first should work.

Either this or just say screw it and use the key. Have to remove four screws and one nut to get at it. Good old days, showed the complete circuit diagram, now a bunch of blocks. But that doesn't stop me, circuit diagram is still on the actual circuit once in my hand.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Diode isolation works in case you were wondering, switches off the alarm with the remote.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why RV roof coatings?

Sure enough BS on the web on this subject, like people are idiots and can't read the directions on the can, but not a reason giver why they use this stuff in the first place. Only good for a couple of years, maybe up to four, cracks, and has to be redone.

First motor home had an aluminum top, must be something new and stupid, stupidity rules. Was a major job, unfortunately, mine is parked under trees, top was loaded with sap. Took hours to pressure wash all that stuff.

Then hours of scrapping the old cracked up stuff, have to watched the weather for 24 hours of rain free and on a warm day. No stores around here will put the gallon cans in a paint shaker, claim it will explode. Didn't read any cautions about this on the cans. So they gave me a couple of wooden sticks, this was a joke. The aluminum in these cans was as hard as a rock. Bend a piece of 1/4" steel rod and used a powerful electric drill.

Had to pour out the excessive thinner or would be splashing this stuff all over the place. Took about 20 minutes per can to get this done, poured in the thinner and used a slower speed to get a good mix.

Tools are throwaway, no way to clean those off. Also had to peel off a lot of that old stuff, exposing a black membrane. Moved the home to the front of my driveway so the sun could hit it. Wearing an old pair of blue jeans my wife said are worth over hundred bucks. I accidentally knelt on the black membrane, knees were still intact, 73*F outside, but burnt the heck out of my left knee. All blistered today, but not worth going to the doctor for.

3rd time in over ten years for this job, has to be a better way. One place offers a lifetime warranty, takes them four day do do this job, bet that must cost a small fortune.

After all this, cleanup, debated whether I should clean myself up or just toss myself in the trashcan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts