Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for anyone in the know: I've heard that GM is releasing a 9-speed automatic transmission across a number of upcoming models, including the upcoming Cruze Diesel. Has anyone heard if this new transmission will become available in the gasoline-powered Cruze, specifically the LT trim? And if so, when? I can't find any info online. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,886 Posts
They have not said anything specifically about the gas Cruze - but I would not be surprised to see the 9-speed make its way into the gas car at some point. Maybe in a couple years.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I think that for right now the 9 speed transmissions are physically too big for the Cruze.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I think that for right now the 9 speed transmissions are physically too big for the Cruze.
Actually, the 9-speed is roughly the same size as the 6-speed.

GM said:
Developed for the tight packaging requirements of transverse propulsion systems, the new 9T50 nine-speed automatic has an on-axis design, where all the gears are in line with the crankshaft, and GM’s first application of a selectable one-way clutch. Both features help reduce the package size, making it roughly the same size as a six-speed transmission.
Chevrolet's First 9-Speed Auto Debuts in 2017 Malibu

Reactions: obermd

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
It's going in the diesel next year.

I think we'll see it in the gas powered ones with a mid-cycle refresh of sorts. Maybe 18-19?

Let them work out the bugs elsewhere first.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Anybody know if this 9 speed auto is going in other manufacturers cars? GM and Ford are sharing development costs of a 10 speed auto going in trucks and maybe SUVs. I see that as a positive thing and should make fluid and filters etc more plentiful.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Anybody know if this 9 speed auto is going in other manufacturers cars? GM and Ford are sharing development costs of a 10 speed auto going in trucks and maybe SUVs. I see that as a positive thing and should make fluid and filters etc more plentiful.
This is also a shared GM/Ford design, like the previous/current transverse 6-speed autos.

·
17,486 Posts
Dodge/Chrysler 200-Series are available with the 9-speed auto-trans.
That's a different one, made by ZF. Honda/Acura uses it as well.

They've so far all failed miserably to program them well, although the ZF 8 speeds work pretty well.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts

They've so far all failed miserably to program them well, although the ZF 8 speeds work pretty well.
Yes, it's almost closer to a dual clutch in design rather than a conventional automatic trans, and as a result is really very finicky. The 8-speed, on the other hand, is excellent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies and for the welcome! I'm taking a test drive tomorrow, so I'll ask the dealer if they know anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So my dealer said that the 9-speed will only be available in the diesel model. I don't know if that means "available this year" or "available at all, ever", but he may not be privy to info about future years. Guess we'll just have to stay tuned!

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Here's a Screenshot of the live GM.ca builder of a 2017 Cruze sedan Diesel automatic, look at engine and tranny :

Text Font Line Material property Screenshot

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Can confirm, my mother owns a 200 V6 with the 9-speed, it's slow to respond to throttle input, hesitates to shift, and won't make up it's mind when driving between 20-50mph which is very often.

·
17,486 Posts
I just read that the 2018 hatch will have a 9 speed auto with gas engine or diesel with 6 speed manual.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Makes sense. Wonder if they'll split em up and put that in the LT-Premier sedans as well for a mid-cycle refresh, and maybe continue with the 6 speed for the lower trims.

Hopefully it shifts a little more quickly than the 6-speed as well, since it'll be even busier shuffling gears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aha! I think I saw that article a while ago but misread it as "gas engine" or "diesel with 9-speed auto or 6-speed manual" as opposed to "gas or diesel" with "9-speed auto or 6-speed manual". Thanks!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts