Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
25,598 Posts
Cool. I bet mass production of this system would bring the price down to roughly what we're paying now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is it a detachable dry sump system? That would be way cool.
Dry sump systems have several important advantages over wet sumps:

• Because a dry sump does not need to have an oil pan big enough to hold the oil under the engine, the main mass of the engine can be placed lower in the vehicle. This helps lower the center of gravity and can also help aerodynamics.
  • The oil capacity of a dry sump can be as big as you want. The tank holding the oil can be placed anywhere on the vehicle.
  • In a wet sump, turning, braking and acceleration can cause the oil to pool on* one side of the engine. This sloshing can dip the crankshaft into the oil as it turns or uncover the pump's pick-up tube.
  • Excess oil around the crankshaft in a wet sump can get on the shaft and cut horsepower. Some people claim improvements of as much as 15 horsepower by switching to a dry sump. Probably 5 horsepower in the dinky little Cruze engine.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
That was my concern also. The automakers would have to redesign the engine completely to accommodate this new oiling system.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I just hope they don't eliminate the dipstick or a way of adding oil. Some oil consumption/leakage is to be expected of older cars. Failure to do that could shorten the lifespan of cars more than expensive batteries would.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Very nice!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just hope they don't eliminate the dipstick or a way of adding oil. Some oil consumption/leakage is to be expected of older cars. Failure to do that could shorten the lifespan of cars more than expensive batteries would.
I don't think they would eliminate the dipstick, but then this setup might be that you can check the oil level by the level in this tank, either a dipstick on the tank or a site gauge. I know the video doesn't show one.

This idea is cool and it would tend to have those that love to change their oil do it that much more just because of the convenience factor. So easy to just pop the hood, pull the tank, put in a fresh tank of oil and away you go. Depending on cost, I can see those that change at 3k miles doing it even sooner. :)

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
This idea is cool and it would tend to have those that love to change their oil do it that much more just because of the convenience factor.
So easy that the "quick change" places will have to morph into something else. Who is going to pay to do that when you can buy it at Wal-Mart and change it in the parking lot?

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,295 Posts
Cutting edge science enters the auto industry introducing NEXCEL .

Castrol is setting themselves up to corner the automotive industries lubrication market .

Gobble ,Gobble , Gobble ...........

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Seems pretty legit. Be nice if you could buy a reusable container and dump out the old and fill it with whatever kind you like. As long as you have two, you can just swap out.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
If that replaceable oil container also contained the oil filter, that would really be great.
*I watched the video without sound, so if it said it does have the filter in it, sweet!

Reactions: money_man

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Seems pretty legit. Be nice if you could buy a reusable container and dump out the old and fill it with whatever kind you like. As long as you have two, you can just swap out.
Oh, I can see it now. You can buy cheaper units at the same places that refill printer toner cartridges. The cheapest ones only change the filter every other time.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
The only thing that bothers me about this system is manufacturing tolerances on the system seals. What if they are not consistent and leakage occurred. Now let's just say other companies develop their own like systems and offer them at competitive prices? How exact will they be?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts