Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is coming up on 90k miles and the dealer recommends that I get a trans flush. I've heard mixed feelings about having one done. I have a 2014 and it seems to be running fine. What is everyone else's opinion on this?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Couple hundred for a flush beats a couple thousand for a tranny, 90k in 5 years is a lot, I did mine at 45k, if you plan on getting rid of the car in a couple years and are not worried about costly repairs due to neglecting this by all means play it by ear, if you wanna run it into the ground I'd do it. These cars are a bit aggressive on fluid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay yeah I've only heard stories of it can ruin the seals with the pressure, it's bad for the tyranny, etc. does a trans flush also include a filter (I would assume)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Okay yeah I've only heard stories of it can ruin the seals with the pressure, it's bad for the tyranny, etc. does a trans flush also include a filter (I would assume)
No,, ita a "lifetime filter" and it's silly for GM to recommend a service on the vehicle every 45k miles that damages the vehicle, more rediculius has happened for sure, but I had no issues, and have never heard of them having happened, but all dealer work is warrantied, so if something horrible happened they'd have to repair it, I believe mine cost about $230 3 years ago, and the old girl doesnt leak a drop

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,767 Posts
Did a drain and fill on mine at 55k, shifts so much smoother as well as better downshifts. Fluid that came out was brown. Repeating again in a month once I put another 1k miles on it.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,608 Posts
No fluid is lifetime. Change the fluid, even if you just do the drain and fill method.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
I did a drain and fill x 2 on mine,with 50,000 on it (Hawaii miles, so closer to 100,000 actual) fluid was pretty dark and bad smelling. Used Valvoline a max life multi vehicle. Figured I got at least 65% out.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Did an 8qt drain/fill/drain/fill/drain/fill change on my 14 @ 64k miles. It was shifting fine but it shifter even smoother after. I'm at 73k and plan on doing another 8qt "flush" again. I disconnected a cooler line, turned the car on and pumped 2qts out and would shut it off and pour 2 qts back in and start over. I've always done this with my vehicles and seems to help, regardless of it being a "lifetime" fluid or not.

·
Registered
635 Posts
That’s a couple of references to “lifetime fluid” I don’t believe anyone said it’s lifetime fluid, there’s claimed to be a lifetime filter that I mentioned however

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Modern trans "flushes" use the car's own fluid pump to push the old fluid out. Basically this is a pumped drain. Then you refill with the new fluid. Don't use the old external suction pumps to do this service. It should have been done at 45K miles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Modern trans "flushes" use the car's own fluid pump to push the old fluid out. Basically this is a pumped drain. Then you refill with the new fluid. Don't use the old external suction pumps to do this service. It should have been done at 45K miles.
Actually, if you look at the service intervals right from GM, a 45,000 mile tranny fluid change is for harsh driving conditions which I'm sure won't apply to 90% of the people that own a Cruze diesel. 90,000 miles is recommended for normal use.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Actually, if you look at the service intervals right from GM, a 45,000 mile tranny fluid change is for harsh driving conditions which I'm sure won't apply to 90% of the people that own a Cruze diesel. 90,000 miles is recommended for normal use.
While it's true that 90,000 is for "normal", take a close look at the "severe" service criteria. If even one of the items on the list applies then use this schedule.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
service intervals are to cover manufacturer liability during warranty

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have had mine drained and refilled by the local dealer every 50K miles. Trans shifts great, no troubles ever. I use Amsoil brand fluid. (Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid) Presently have 154,000 miles on my 2014.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,667 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
I did mine at around 75k; the drain and fill x3 method.

From this point on, every 75k or so, I'll probably just top off with 1.5 quarts and drive it a bit, then pull the internal leveling plug, then top off .5 qts. I don't know if I will fully drain it again

The drain plug popped a lot harder than I would have liked the first time so I don't know if I want to go through that again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had mine drained and refilled last week. Dealer would only use GM AW-1 and they wanted $250 for the drain and fill. I was shown the AW-1 in the translucent plastic GM container and although my color vision isn't 100%, it looked brown to me (brand new). I had an independent drain and fill with AMSOIL signature series synthetic ATF. It seems to no longer have an occasional lurching/shutter issue when down shifting. So far, I'm happy with my choice (as discovered here on Cruzetalk) to use the AMSOIL ATF.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Fluid replacement (drain/fill) in these is safe. I've done mine and so have many other.

Processes that "flush" by using cleaners and additives should never be done in a transmission without a serviceable filter (these do not). That is because there is no way to replace the filter which will catch all of the loosened materials and overtime can become clogged.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts