Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in South Mississippi, and let me tell you, this is not a turbo friendly area during the summer time. The date is May 21st and we just got done with a 93F hot and sunny day. This is only the beginning of the summer, and we will be seeing temperatures well over 100F throughout the summer. Knowing the 1.4T Cruze's intercooler is sandwiched in-between the radiator and condenser, I wanted to reach out to anyone with a FMI (Front Mount Intercooler), and/or anyone that lives in areas where the temperature can be described as "The Pits of ****." Have you benefited with installing a FMI? AIT dropped? Pros and cons? I have already switched over to 93 Octane until the temperatures drop back below 85F, but I can still feel the decline in power and the heat soaking that has commenced with my Cruze. Does anyone have any advise or benefits, because I am tired of pay $3 a gallon to still experience negligible results from 93 Octane alone. Thanks!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,598 Posts
If you own an Eco, a FMIC will make the bumper flaps inoperable.

I believe that the (stock) FMIC is the biggest difference in the Gen 2's summer performance. It doesn't flat out fall on its face like my Gen 1 did in traffic.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you own an Eco, a FMIC will make the bumper flaps inoperable.

I believe that the (stock) FMIC is the biggest difference in the Gen 2's summer performance. It doesn't flat out fall on its face like my Gen 1 did in traffic.
I have a 2011 eco and i was considering getting an aftermarket intercooler. What do you mean by bumper flaps?

·
17,598 Posts
I have a 2011 eco and i was considering getting an aftermarket intercooler. What do you mean by bumper flaps?
The Eco has aerodynamic flaps in the lower bumper that close at highway speed and open when additional cooling is needed. Disabling them will cause the car to throw a check engine light for them being inoperable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
So I live in South Mississippi, and let me tell you, this is not a turbo friendly area during the summer time. The date is May 21st and we just got done with a 93F hot and sunny day. This is only the beginning of the summer, and we will be seeing temperatures well over 100F throughout the summer.
It was 110 F all last week and 125F is right around the corner. I was just thinking the other day in sweltering heat how Ice Cold the A/C blows and how well the cooling system has worked over the past 4 years!

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Active grill shutters may be deleted as long as you remove the motor and reattach the motor to the wiring harness .. AGS .. if some 1 were to purchase an aftermarket FMIC and the plumbing 1 may have to delete the AGS because of fitment issues .

·
Registered
414 Posts
It was 110 F all last week and 125F is right around the corner. I was just thinking the other day in sweltering heat how Ice Cold the A/C blows and how well the cooling system has worked over the past 4 years!
Seems like you got lucky.
The 2011 eco doesn't cool very well at all above 85F, and above 95-100F there's no way I drive without sweating.

I did a thread about it recently.
Don't put 93 octane if you're looking for a cheaper option.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-general-discussion/233041-increase-summer-performance.html

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
The 2011 eco doesn't cool very well at all above 85F, and above 95-100F there's no way I drive without sweating.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-general-discussion/233041-increase-summer-performance.html
That's one way to get around promoting a closed thread. I'm not sure I agree with any of those E 85 computations or the fact the Cruze should use E 85. I would be the first to complain about the operation of the cooling system as I cracked an engine here 30 years ago. Also if you are sweating in 100 degree heat not controlled by use of the A/C you might want to see your Doctor or the Car Doctor? Could be high blood pressure or low coolant?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
If ac isn't cooling cab very well. It's probably low on freon. And there's a LOT of models that won't hold above 175 pounds on the hi side.

Need 225 at least to make it work better then a humidifier.

I can already tell I'll be topping mine off next month. And mine only has 5500 miles.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not sure. I think a lot of people are complaining about the AC not working well in the 1st gen Cruzes.
One time, I tried filling up the freon levels on my Mazda Millenia, because ac was broken, but instead of the freon going into the AC system, the AC system pushed it back out, in my can.
Turns out the guy prior had probably put a too high amount in, and it destroyed the compressor.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
It's not just the first gen cruzes that won't hold the proper amount.

It's just about all makes and models. Just about.

I'm not seeing very many that actually DO hold the needed pressure.

·
17,598 Posts
This is about the drivability of the car in the summer, not the AC. Let's stay on topic.

OP, have you tried running the NGK BKR series plugs in yours? Or checking the plug gap? Both make a noticeable difference in low-RPM drivability. Worth a shot for a very cheap improvement in how the car responds.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/21850-hesitation-gone.html

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I will second and 3rd the plugs. They make a huge difference along with your driving style. Wider gaps are more gas mileage friendly from what I have noticed. I have done literally plugn'play lol 28 to 34 seems good for most aspects for plug gap. 28 being sportier on stock and 34 being grandpa. If tuned I believe they said 25 to 28 so guessing I'm on the right track for my scale. The plug thread deemed me a scientist. Had to try tho he out. Basically anything beyond 5 psi boost seems troublesome in heat when hitting hills in heat for me. Haven't dicked around with anything below 25. Seems unnecessary as I go for mileage. Watching torque app haven't seen anything drastic between those 2 specs. I'm guessing higher heat 28 though but I'm not in a position to test yet this year.wisconsin we don't see much above 100...just the 90s with 90-100% humidity. Makes factory jobs fun ?

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts

Putting anything more than E15 in the Cruze will lead to early deterioration of the seals in the engine as well as injector issues. This is why we closed your thread. If you want to run higher ethanol blends you need to make a whole slew of adjustments to the seals and injectors and should probably talk to Bad New Racing about their 42# injectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is about the drivability of the car in the summer, not the AC. Let's stay on topic.

OP, have you tried running the NGK BKR series plugs in yours? Or checking the plug gap? Both make a noticeable difference in low-RPM drivability. Worth a shot for a very cheap improvement in how the car responds.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/21850-hesitation-gone.html
Are the iridium plugs just as good? Not sure how found I am of replacing the plugs more frequently.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts