Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a subscriber for an elio vehicle, when, or if it'll ever be produced.
And as such, I am subscribed to their newsletters.
I wanted to share their latest one, as other could potentially affect us cruze owners as well,
As well as starting the debate of what the article talks about, 95oct fuels.

Higher octane fuels, usually are good for turbo engines, as they work better, but it will all depend on how they end up getting those numbers higher.
Current method is to add up to 10% of biofuels like ethanol (aka corn juice, bbq oils, or crapoline) in the fuel.
It does the job of raising the octane levels, but at the cost of performance.
This also meant that gas stations can now produce even lower qualities of gas, while adding more crap to our fuel, resulting in very poor gas mileage.

What do you think their approach will be to raising octane levels?
Just adding even more crapanol to our fuels?

https://www.eliomotors.com/industry-news/?utm_campaign=Momentum

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,230 Posts
Remember, that is 95 RON - our Octane is measured by R+M/2. 95 RON is equal to our 91 R+M/2.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Did you read the article in Car and Driver from I think the January 2018 mag? There are pushes for 89 or 91 to be the standard because these small turbo engines can gain ~3-5% MPG being tuned accordingly. I think this push will lose steam as the CAFE laws have been dialed back.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Did you read the article in Car and Driver from I think the January 2018 mag? There are pushes for 89 or 91 to be the standard because these small turbo engines can gain ~3-5% MPG being tuned accordingly. I think this push will lose steam as the CAFE laws have been dialed back.
Based on a poll we did a few years back, over half the Gen 1 drivers here run 89 or higher octane simply because their cars run noticeably better. The UK equivalent of the Mulroney sticker lists 95 Octane (RON) with a lower L/100KM value (higher MPG) as well. It appears the US, with it's idiotic labelling laws about not putting "care options" on the label, is one of the few countries where car owners aren't given this information at time of purchase.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Based on a poll we did a few years back, over half the Gen 1 drivers here run 89 or higher octane simply because their cars run noticeably better. The UK equivalent of the Mulroney sticker lists 95 Octane (RON) with a lower L/100KM value (higher MPG) as well. It appears the US, with it's idiotic labelling laws about not putting "care options" on the label, is one of the few countries where car owners aren't given this information at time of purchase.
I agree that info should be put out there. The article was saying that if US engines were designed to run on 89/91 vs 87 even more efficiency could be had.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I agree that info should be put out there. The article was saying that if US engines were designed to run on 89/91 vs 87 even more efficiency could be had.
They're the same engine as what's running in Europe. The difference is in the US the ECM is programmed with two octane maps, high and low. The low octane map pulls ignition timing to protect the engine at the expense of efficiency and power.

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
They're the same engine as what's running in Europe. The difference is in the US the ECM is programmed with two octane maps, high and low. The low octane map pulls ignition timing to protect the engine at the expense of efficiency and power.
The smaller Ecoboosts have two power ratings (or they used to). My mom never runs anything other than 87 in her 1.5T, but I can't say she's ever had a problem either. The 1.6T she had in her second Fusion was trash, though, so I wonder if it, for some reason, was more sensitive to octane.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,601 Posts
The smaller Ecoboosts have two power ratings (or they used to). My mom never runs anything other than 87 in her 1.5T, but I can't say she's ever had a problem either. The 1.6T she had in her second Fusion was trash, though, so I wonder if it, for some reason, was more sensitive to octane.
The 1.6T is a piece of junk.

Ford overfuels the crap out of Ecoboosts to avoid LSPI, but they run quite well no matter what's in the tank. Just...not as efficient as they'd like you to believe.

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
The 1.6T is a piece of junk.

Ford overfuels the crap out of Ecoboosts to avoid LSPI, but they run quite well no matter what's in the tank. Just...not as efficient as they'd like you to believe.
The 1.6T was garbage, she got worse gas mileage with that engine in her 2013 Fusion than she did with her 2011 Fusion with the 2.5L, same routes, driving styles, etc. In fact, she got worse gas mileage than the Cavalier, which had 3 less gears and leaked fuel. I think she averaged about 22 mpg and the previous Fusion got 27-30 mpg.

Her 1.5Ts in her 2015, and 2017 have been far better.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Glad to hear.
I was supposed to get a 2013 Ford fusion, the first upgrade on their Fusion models, with the 1.6T.
Plenty of people have mentioned they didn't like the original 1.6T engine, and Ford ended up changing them out for a NA, and a surprising 1.5T engine (with extra boost and a bit of tuning).
They were also made a 2.0T model and a 2.0-2.5 NA engine.

The 2.0T drives very good, I hear, but is lousy on gas.
The 2.0 and 2.5 duratec engines are basically their older model engines. not bad, but nothing spectacular either.
They grunt as they get into gear, and have a very linear, pretty boring powerband.

Glad I ended up with the Cruze.
Made the mistake to get generic tires on it, it seems to give me 5-10MPG lower peaks, and at least 2MPG lower averages, compared to the Low resistance tires that were on them before.

But back to 95 octane,
Ok, the numbering in USA is different.
But I think that the gas manufacturers have been producing lower quality gasoline, with Ethanol just boosting the Octane levels to what they were before.
I've always used Shell gasoline, but have reasons to believe that also they now have jumped the bandwagon of cheaper gas (with closer to 10% ethanol than 0%).
Shell and BP were the last ones to put almost no ethanol in their gasoline.
But alas... Until last month, I still had outstanding MPG (in the likes of what others get with 89-91 oct fuels).
Sadly there's no more BP station in my environment to test out their fuels.

I'm hoping the new regulation will help our turbocharged engines; perhaps, if they still want to put 10% ethanol in the fuel, to add it to real 87 octane fuel (resulting in 89 octane?), rather than putting it in 85 octane fuel, just to get 87 octane fuel.

·
Registered
253 Posts
This needs to be done and should have been done years ago. We need one grade of gas that all cars use no matter what. Its stupid to have 3 or 4 different grades, its the reason the price moves so **** much. We need to have two pumps at gas stations, diesel and gasoline and that is it. I hope GM and other Manufactures push this hard as **** and make it happen. We will all benefit from lower/stable prices and better overall performance and fuel efficient cars.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This needs to be done and should have been done years ago. We need one grade of gas that all cars use no matter what. Its stupid to have 3 or 4 different grades, its the reason the price moves so **** much. We need to have two pumps at gas stations, diesel and gasoline and that is it. I hope GM and other Manufactures push this hard as **** and make it happen. We will all benefit from lower/stable prices and better overall performance and fuel efficient cars.
They have it!
It's called Diesel.
One of the grades of fuel, that has no other grade like it! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts