Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. New member here and I probably won’t bug y’all much since it’s my wifes car. It’s a 2015 LTZ/RS. I had to put the car in the shop this morning because the a/c quit working. All fuses and relays checked out and the compressor itself wasn’t locked up, just wouldn’t engage. All this was checked myself with the help of the mechanics at the college I work at. The shop just called and said it was infact the compressor, quoted me $650 for parts and labor. I’ve used the shop before and as far as I could tell they were honest so has anyone else had this problem? I want to believe them but it seems very unusual that the compressor would go bad so soon in the cars life.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
What's fairly common is for the outside air temperature sensor to go bad, causing it to read -40 degrees. Under that condition, the computer won't turn the compressor on.

It's possible the clutch is bad. If it's getting power and not engaging, then that's the proof of a bad clutch.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
What's fairly common is for the outside air temperature sensor to go bad, causing it to read -40 degrees. Under that condition, the computer won't turn the compressor on.

It's possible the clutch is bad. If it's getting power and not engaging, then that's the proof of a bad clutch.
I'll second the outside air temp sensor. It's mounted on the driver side fog lamp cover. Make sure it's not disconnected - we've had several come loose and when they get wet they don't work properly.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Hello everyone. New member here and I probably won’t bug y’all much since it’s my wifes car. It’s a 2015 LTZ/RS. I had to put the car in the shop this morning because the a/c quit working. All fuses and relays checked out and the compressor itself wasn’t locked up, just wouldn’t engage. All this was checked myself with the help of the mechanics at the college I work at. The shop just called and said it was infact the compressor, quoted me $650 for parts and labor. I’ve used the shop before and as far as I could tell they were honest so has anyone else had this problem? I want to believe them but it seems very unusual that the compressor would go bad so soon in the cars life.
Wouldn't this have been a Warranty claim on a 2015 CRUZE with 39,000 miles?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'll second the outside air temp sensor. It's mounted on the driver side fog lamp cover. Make sure it's not disconnected - we've had several come loose and when they get wet they don't work properly.
The quick check is to look at your radio. That's where you can see the outside temperature display.

Most people don't care about that display, but they don't realize that it can affect their A/C.

While it's not impossible for it to be the compressor, that would be an outlier. Compressor problems aren't that common in the Cruze, much less at that age and mileage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The outside temp sensor was good when checked by myself and the mechanics here at the physical plant. I feel like it was probably the coil on the compressor instead of the whole thing but it’s replaced now and my fiancé has cold air so I can’t bitch too much. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The outside temp sensor was good when checked by myself and the mechanics here at the physical plant. I feel like it was probably the coil on the compressor instead of the whole thing but it’s replaced now and my fiancé has cold air so I can’t bitch too much. Thanks everyone
Hopefully her car will now get her so cold she'll want to snuggle with you to warm up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts