Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze LS and noticed that during idle or in heavy traffic I start getting ambient air with AC on. I have replaced condenser, new ac compressor, and recently filled with Freon. On the move ac works great super cold but now that temps here in Phoenix are staying steady over 100 degrees I need to get this fixed asap. My radiator fan definitely comes on and I have no issues when moving. Anyone else experience this or can point me in the right direction to see what else I can check.

·
Registered
156 Posts
When your rad fan comes on. Is it always full blast or will it come on in stages? There should be 3 of them. Low, medium and high.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When your rad fan comes on. Is it always full blast or will it come on in stages? There should be 3 of them. Low, medium and high.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I know for sure it’s not on full blast. Ill double check if it comes in intermediately as soon as I get home.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
You vacuumed the system before charging. How much freon did you put in. Could either be under or over charged. Possibly air in the system if you used cans.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
A pretty common failure in the Cruze is the resistor pack for the fan. It causes the lower speeds to fail. The fan goes from low-medium-high to off-off-high. (Possibly low-off-high) "High" is sometimes called "jet mode" as it's rather loud. Normal fan operation is barely noticeable.

Something I'd try is put the car in park and rev the engine at a high idle. See what comes out the vents. That will tell you if the problem is related to airflow or RPM and troubleshoot accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Check (and plan on replacing) the cabin air filter......any restriction will tend to cause the evap core to freeze over. Beyond that, there is a possibility the system is under or overcharged......doesn't take much to throw these very small refrigerant capacity systems off kilter.
That's why the system capacity is specified by weight rather than pressure.

Rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You vacuumed the system before charging. How much freon did you put in. Could either be under or over charged. Possibly air in the system if you used cans.
Yes system was vacuumed and the exact amount of Freon was added.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A pretty common failure in the Cruze is the resistor pack for the fan. It causes the lower speeds to fail. The fan goes from low-medium-high to off-off-high. (Possibly low-off-high) "High" is sometimes called "jet mode" as it's rather loud. Normal fan operation is barely noticeable.

Something I'd try is put the car in park and rev the engine at a high idle. See what comes out the vents. That will tell you if the problem is related to airflow or RPM and troubleshoot accordingly.
So looks like my jet mode isn't working. After my drive from work and got home popped the hook open to check everything out. Fan still comes on intermediately but don't here the hi-mode. Is that means to replace radiator fan?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check (and plan on replacing) the cabin air filter......any restriction will tend to cause the evap core to freeze over. Beyond that, there is a possibility the system is under or overcharged......doesn't take much to throw these very small refrigerant capacity systems off kilter.
That's why the system capacity is specified by weight rather than pressure.

Rob
That would just restrict airflow through the vents not actual a/c temp correct? Cause I'm still getting cold air when driving on the highway but when idled or going slow due to congested traffic it starts getting ambient air.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Fan works with high pressure sensor. It only works when your idle. No air flow. No need to work when you're driving down the road.

Lower idle and no fan. Ac will get warmer. That's normal.

Least you don't have auto stop feature. Then it really gets warm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fan works with high pressure sensor. It only works when your idle. No air flow. No need to work when you're driving down the road.

Lower idle and no fan. Ac will get warmer. That's normal.

Least you don't have auto stop feature. Then it really gets warm.
Would you happen to know the exact part name? I tried searching HP Sensor for my Cruze and am getting different results. I appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
So looks like my jet mode isn't working. After my drive from work and got home popped the hook open to check everything out. Fan still comes on intermediately but don't here the hi-mode. Is that means to replace radiator fan?
That would be highly unusual. The fan itself is a single speed motor with resistors to get the lower speed. It will almost never go into high in normal operation. You'd have to have a scan tool to force it to turn on high.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts