Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question is pretty open, but has anyone just had their air conditioner stop blowing cold air? I was driving a couple days ago in the morning and the air conditioning was working fine blowing cold air. I went home for literally 5 minutes. When I came back out and left again, the air was no longer blowing cold. There was no sign of the air gradually getting warmer at any point. Car has 122,000 miles. Of course, any shop is at least 10 days out before looking into anything hvac related.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
At a certain point with a refrigerant leak the ECM sees that it’s unable to make pressure. So it will not engage the a/c clutch at all. That can give the appearance of the a/c suddenly just no longer working.

Or a line or seal just blew apart and it all leaked out within minutes.

Thankfully this Cruze uses the cheap readily available refrigerant which you can buy at Walmart. So if you want you can try that. Those kits almost always have UV dye in them.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Freon contains oil. Oil contains the dye.

All freon is dyed.

And while you can buy cans. It's really not recommended without knowing what your high pressure reads. You're only going to need roughly 2 to 4 oz. out of that 12 oz. can.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
966 Posts
Well, you can’t really buy Freon anymore... Now R134, which is what our cars use, yes you can buy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. An update on the A/C not working. I got in the car Monday after not driving it for the weekend, and the A/C was blowing cold air again. Tuesday I drove my other vehicle, and today (Wednesday) I drove it to work, and no cold A/C again. So now I'm really confused.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Does your car have an outside temperature sensor. If so. What does it read?

A few cars have had that effect their ac. Car reads -40*

·
Registered
731 Posts
Well, you can’t really buy Freon anymore... Now R134, which is what our cars use, yes you can buy.
All refrigerants are still "freon". Freon is just a trade name like Jet Ski.

Not all refrigerants of this type are labelled as "Freon" since Freon is a brand name for the refrigerants R-12, R-13B1, R-22, R-410A, R-502, and R-503 manufactured by The Chemours Company.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had my A/C suddenly stop working last July on the way through Texas. It was working fine, we stopped at a rest area. When we got back in the car, no A/C. About 10 miles down the highway I couldn’t take it anymore, and shifted into neutral, shut the engine off and restarted, put back in drive. A/C started blowing cold again. Good old Microsoft reboot. 😁

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I don't know about all semis. But the newer Freightliners have a way to reset the ac.

Wonder if cars have something.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts