Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Coincidentally, I replaced the thermostat about 6 weeks ago due to the heating element going bad, radiator fan was on full throttle all the time and had a CEL code to support the replacement. Everything seemed to be working o.k., but will not swear to it. Right after I replaced the thermostat, I did let the motor idle in the garage until I got the fan to kick on. Thought everything was o.k., but now I question if somehow that is affecting the fan from running. However, I would think that the a/c would override that and the fan should work, but seems only to work when the coolant temperature is below 180 degrees or so.

·
Registered
73 Posts
O.K. after thinking about the fan working with A/C on when I first start and when tested everything, including direct power to the fan, my thought was it has to be the fan motor, maybe brushes worn or something. This morning, I jumped the high, medium, and low relay in the fuse box, fan ran at those speeds (I did not need to have the ignition on). Also, I measured the resistance on the thermistor on the thermostat that I recently replaced, it read about 15.5 ohms (which was the reading when I installed). Coolant temp was about 60 degrees.

At this point, it looks like everything is o.k. So then I start the car and turn on the A/C, there was a short delay and then the fan started running on low. I did that a few times, on and off, then eventually no fan with a/c on. So, I went and banged the fan motor with my hammer handle and it started. When all else fails, get the hammer:) Note that the fan did not sound too good, some screeching noise when spinning. So, I took the car for a short drive and fan was coming on with a/c, drove back to my garage and shut the car off, measured the ohms on the thermistor again, still reading 15.5 ohms and coolant temp was around 195 degrees.

Started the car and tried a/c again, fan kicked on. Shut off the a/c and got the car coolant temp (sitting in my garage) in the 220's and the fan kicked on at a medium speed. Again, it did not sound too good, but worked as it should (I think). Anyway, long story short, I believe the fan motor is failing and needs replaced. By me tapping the fan motor, I believe that I got the brushes to make contact or freed up what ever was stuck for now. Only question was on the ohms reading on the thermistor on the thermostat, should my ohms reading have changed? If so, could that be causing the fan to not engage, and me hitting it was just fluke that it started working?

Thanks for listening and I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Anyway, long story short, I believe the fan motor is failing and needs replaced.
Sure sounds like it. It wasn't a case that a certain speed was dead, but rather the fan motor was intermittent.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's what it looks like. I will do quick ohms check on the temperature sensors, just to make sure, but since I did not get any codes or pending codes, I am feeling pretty confident it is the motor. The fan motor did not sound healthy when it was turning...I appreciate everyone's help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever find out what was wrong with this? Mine has been doing the same thing. Put coolant in and now it's acting normal again but not sure how long that will last.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine was a fan issue. Since you had to add coolant, you definitely have a leak. Your issue could be simply due to the leak. I would find the leak and repair then see how she is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having trouble with my a/c also. a/c clutch only kicks on for like 2 or3 seconds then off for a little bit then the same. It started doing this after I was driving and my power steering went out. I pulled over and shugt it off for about 10 minutes and started car and power steering worked great again but a/c started acting up. Happened about a year ago and cant find what problem is. any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
251 Posts
Kept getting the same message on our Cruze, found a cracked thermostat housing, and now looking at replacing myself. The last one I changed was on my dad's '72 Datsun Pickup, you know, back when engines were easy to work on, had all kinds of room to get around the engine block, that was in '89 or so. Any issues that I need to know about before starting? Is it just too much of a P.I.T.A. and should let a professional mechanic work it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone! Please bear with me, I know next-to-nothing about cars...

I've owned a 2012 Chevy Cruze for just over 3 years now, I bought it used at about 32,000 and now am at 61,000 miles. I don't know if it's relevant or not, but some back story: I had that electrical problem that I found after internet searching seemed to be common in cruzes where my interior lights and the radio would go haywire, power steering would go out, culmilating once to shorting the battery completely to where I couldn't start the car or even turn the key. Anyway, that problem was fixed after a shorted wire was found.

Yesterday I was driving to work and noticed a warning come on that info screen behind the steering wheel "A/C Off Due to High Engine Temp" came on. I thought that it meant A/C unit in general as my heater was on given it was in the teens outside. It happened again on the way home from work, and noticed my engine temperature gauge not necessarily getting hot, but still past halfway to overheating on the gauge. After the A/C, may or may not have shut off, it would go back down to being just shy to a bit less than halfway to overheating. The same thing happened last night, and again this morning. However, those two times I noticed a fan-like noise coming out of my engine, loud enough to hear faintly with music on. I had heard it before, back in the Spring on the first hot day we had, but I never heard it again and so I dismissed it as my A/C "complaining" for being on for the first time in several months. On the drive home from work today, I completely turned off the A/C and heater, as well as radio to see what would happen. Sure enough, on two occasions more into the drive, which occured in times where I wasn't necessarily doing anything different than I had not already done, the gauge started rising, I got the message about my A/C being turned off due to a high engine temp, despite the fact that the temperature gauge still read about halfway between the midpoint and the third bigger marker and my entire A/C and heat system being shut off. Afterwards, the gauge went back down to where it was. The fan remains on and loud, I don't know if it's the radiator fan or A/C or what.

I have a had a radiator go bad in a previous car, and the thing that caught my attention was smoke coming out of the hood, but I don't remember the temperature gauge going haywire, or moving fast enough I could see it move. This time, it seems to be very unstable but always staying around the middle. I did check my car last night, this morning when I got to work, and when I got home and no smoke was coming out of the hood.

Is this another computer/electronic thing going wrong? Is my coolant getting low or worse radiator going out? My oil was just changed back in December, and they usually check levels, and didn't say anything.

Update in post 3...
I've got a 2015 Chevy Cruze and it started running hot turn my phone the screen that it was over heating. We had a new thermostat put on it thermostat housing and a new water pump. And it still brought that up on the screen so I decided to go to Advance Auto Parts and I bought this little bottle of K seal reset and it fixed it. It's sealed up all the cracks.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,146 Posts
I've got a 2015 Chevy Cruze and it started running hot turn my phone the screen that it was over heating. We had a new thermostat put on it thermostat housing and a new water pump. And it still brought that up on the screen so I decided to go to Advance Auto Parts and I bought this little bottle of K seal reset and it fixed it. It's sealed up all the cracks.
Welcome aboard!(y)

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My name is Patricia Kennedy and I own a 2015 Chevy Cruze with the turbo engine. When I post a comment and it doesn't sound right it's because I'm using a mic and I'm sorry

·
Registered
5 Posts
2013 Chevy Cruz RS 1.4L Turbo: A/C Off Due to High Engine Temp question.

Okay ya'all, I have read numerous thing about A/C Off Due to High Engine Temp and engine is hot. However, I get the message as stated but my temperature gage is on cold (C) and the engine is not hot at all, but my engine fan did turn on and again the engine is not hot at all. There is also wetness around the thermostat and water pump. So my question is, would the thermostat be stuck open and the pressure cause the coolant to leak out of the housing and get the water pump and that side of the engine wet? I touched the coolant hose going to the thermostat and it is cold and the water pump is warm to the touch but not hot and this is after driving it around for a few hours doing deliveries. I believe that I have read all the comments but I am not able to find any suggestions to this problem. All replies seem to be focused on the engine being hot and over heating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
2013 Chevy Cruz RS 1.4L Turbo: A/C Off Due to High Engine Temp question.

Okay ya'all, I have read numerous thing about A/C Off Due to High Engine Temp and engine is hot. However, I get the message as stated but my temperature gage is on cold (C) and the engine is not hot at all, but my engine fan did turn on and again the engine is not hot at all. There is also wetness around the thermostat and water pump. So my question is, would the thermostat be stuck open and the pressure cause the coolant to leak out of the housing and get the water pump and that side of the engine wet? I touched the coolant hose going to the thermostat and it is cold and the water pump is warm to the touch but not hot and this is after driving it around for a few hours doing deliveries. I believe that I have read all the comments but I am not able to find any suggestions to this problem. All replies seem to be focused on the engine being hot and over heating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If the radiator hose from the thermostat housing is cold, that means the thermostat is not open or you have no coolant to circulate. I would check the coolant reservoir to make sure you have coolant. If the coolant reservoir is full and your engine is "cold" and are getting the message, I would suspect a faulty temperature sensor. On the 1.8L there are two, one on the radiator and the other at the thermostat (I believe, it's been a while). Also, the wetness around the water pump and thermostat would indicate a leak, but first I would focus on the original problem and consider fixing those leaks in conjunction with the A/C off Due to High Engine Temp...good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the radiator hose from the thermostat housing is cold, that means the thermostat is not open or you have no coolant to circulate. I would check the coolant reservoir to make sure you have coolant. If the coolant reservoir is full and your engine is "cold" and are getting the message, I would suspect a faulty temperature sensor. On the 1.8L there are two, one on the radiator and the other at the thermostat (I believe, it's been a while). Also, the wetness around the water pump and thermostat would indicate a leak, but first I would focus on the original problem and consider fixing those leaks in conjunction with the A/C off Due to High Engine Temp...good luck.
Thank you. Yes the level of coolant is the first thing I checked. I have worked on my car in the past myself. I have replaced the valve cover and gasket. I have replaced the water outlet and coolant resivor hose and the resivor itself. I have replaced the all that and the turbo oil feeder line myself due to other issues so I do have a little knowledge but im not an expert. I am thinking the tempature sensors as well. So ill start there. I can replace the water pump easy enough but I was looking for others advice. Thank you very much for your reply so ill start there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My Cruze was a 1.8L which was a little easier and less complicated than the 1.4 L Turbo. I would find out how many temperature sensors there are on the 1.4L Turbo, and see is there is a way to test them with a meter. I remember reading where there may be a third sensor? A lot of people just keep replacing parts without diagnosing, not the approach I recommend. Once you know what each of the sensors do, you can probably isolate which one(s) to check. If there is multiple, most likely only one is bad. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Cruze was a 1.8L which was a little easier and less complicated than the 1.4 L Turbo. I would find out how many temperature sensors there are on the 1.4L Turbo, and see is there is a way to test them with a meter. I remember reading where there may be a third sensor? A lot of people just keep replacing parts without diagnosing, not the approach I recommend. Once you know what each of the sensors do, you can probably isolate which one(s) to check. If there is multiple, most likely only one is bad. Good luck!
Okay changed the temp sensors and the issue was the thermostat is stuck open. As for the oil leaks, it is the front cover, cam seals and oil pan seals. That is going to cost about 1300.00 parts and labor

·
Registered
73 Posts
Glad you were able to resolve. Ah, thermostat stuck closed, explains the cold radiator hose. Not sure I would worry about the oil leaks, cheaper to add oil...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone! Please bear with me, I know next-to-nothing about cars...

I've owned a 2012 Chevy Cruze for just over 3 years now, I bought it used at about 32,000 and now am at 61,000 miles. I don't know if it's relevant or not, but some back story: I had that electrical problem that I found after internet searching seemed to be common in cruzes where my interior lights and the radio would go haywire, power steering would go out, culmilating once to shorting the battery completely to where I couldn't start the car or even turn the key. Anyway, that problem was fixed after a shorted wire was found.

Yesterday I was driving to work and noticed a warning come on that info screen behind the steering wheel "A/C Off Due to High Engine Temp" came on. I thought that it meant A/C unit in general as my heater was on given it was in the teens outside. It happened again on the way home from work, and noticed my engine temperature gauge not necessarily getting hot, but still past halfway to overheating on the gauge. After the A/C, may or may not have shut off, it would go back down to being just shy to a bit less than halfway to overheating. The same thing happened last night, and again this morning. However, those two times I noticed a fan-like noise coming out of my engine, loud enough to hear faintly with music on. I had heard it before, back in the Spring on the first hot day we had, but I never heard it again and so I dismissed it as my A/C "complaining" for being on for the first time in several months. On the drive home from work today, I completely turned off the A/C and heater, as well as radio to see what would happen. Sure enough, on two occasions more into the drive, which occured in times where I wasn't necessarily doing anything different than I had not already done, the gauge started rising, I got the message about my A/C being turned off due to a high engine temp, despite the fact that the temperature gauge still read about halfway between the midpoint and the third bigger marker and my entire A/C and heat system being shut off. Afterwards, the gauge went back down to where it was. The fan remains on and loud, I don't know if it's the radiator fan or A/C or what.

I have a had a radiator go bad in a previous car, and the thing that caught my attention was smoke coming out of the hood, but I don't remember the temperature gauge going haywire, or moving fast enough I could see it move. This time, it seems to be very unstable but always staying around the middle. I did check my car last night, this morning when I got to work, and when I got home and no smoke was coming out of the hood.

Is this another computer/electronic thing going wrong? Is my coolant getting low or worse radiator going out? My oil was just changed back in December, and they usually check levels, and didn't say anything.

Update in post 3...

Hello,

My SRX experienced the same thing. One thing I've noticed is these Cadillacs have some computer issues going on. The only difference I had was that my temp gauge was reading -0-. no movement at all. When I started the car, the gauges went through there precheck operation, but afterwards the temp went and stayed at zero. I didn't smell anything overheating, coolant level was fine. So I cleaned all the connections I could find. I removed clips and cleaned them with a clean rag, toothpick and alcohol. cleaned about 5 visible connections. while doing this I disconnected the battery. I never received a chk engine light code. Yes it probably cleared the temp code but if the temp sensor was bad it would have returned. It's been 6 months and have had no reoccurring issues. seems the connections were dirty/fouled up and the computer needed to purge the false indicator it was receiving.

Chevy Cruze Temp gauge never moves/AC off due to High engine temp - YouTube

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had a chance to check the radiator fan, 5 fan relays, and 3 fuses. All checked out good. Fan when powered directly had all three speeds. All relays checked out when power applied. Though the fuses looked good, checked them with my meter and they were all good.

Would a bad temperature sensor or thermostat cause me to get the "a/c off due to high engine temp" and not cause the fan to run? I did not have any codes (and no codes pending). I have not driven the car since I had the A/c off message, but maybe I just need to drive it and see what happens? Any suggestions of what to check next?
When you checked the resistor you had power on a three settings ?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts